Retraction too enthusiastic.

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
FirstTimeRound

Retraction too enthusiastic.

Postby FirstTimeRound » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi, just trying Ideamaker (Latest Ubuntu version, I have been 3d printing for 3-years) and I really like the look of it. I have a Delta and Bowden setup so Retraction is not an option, it is mandatory and 5mm to 8mm of it at that. :)

When I slice and print, it retracts at every direction change with the bottom layer infill and all the way up. Is there a setting I have not yet found? I am aware of the "Advanced" stuff and that's where I think I have it all set up correctly, but still it prints a diagonal infill line, retracts, prints the next infill line, gets to the end of that and retracts again. It's gonna take forever.

When I look at the Layers with "Show Retraction, there are red crosses everywhere. I really only need retraction when crossing from one object to another, or, crossing gaps.

Is there some way I can restrict this enthusiasm?

Might just mention that Cura does not do this, but it does handle retraction correctly on gaps etc so pretty sure it is a setting within Ideamaker I am not finding. I'd like to get away from Cura if possible, so really need to get this fixed.

Thanks

FirstTimeRound

Re: Retraction too enthusiastic.

Postby FirstTimeRound » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Here are some Layer pics. Why are there so many Retractions and Travel Moves? I removed all Travel and Retraction from the GCode and they are taking up about 50% of the print time. Does not seem right, is this something I can fix in the Settings?

retract-10.jpg
TEN Retractions, look in the center bar for FIVE per layer.

retract-13.jpg
THIRTEEN Retractions

rapids-zillion.jpg
LOTS of Travel Moves

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Yes, I started having this issue after updating Ideamaker to 3.3.0; this did not happen in previous versions. Here's an example of the excessive retractions:

Most of the retractions in that photo are eliminated if I enable "Avoid retraction inside model" in Ooze settings. However, as you mentioned, it still retracts excessively on solid infill layers:

I found that these retractions can be removed by unchecking "Enable retraction at bottom and top of models."

These settings are new or have been rearranged since the last IdeaMaker version, so I'm not sure if this is intended behavior and we are expected to change these settings, or if the retraction really is overzealous and we are forced to turn it off in most situations to make it more reasonable.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Raise should rearrange windows at new Idea Maker. Now we have option chaos. Check Simple3D has a more intuitive interface. And IM should also.

FirstTimeRound

Postby FirstTimeRound » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Anubis wrote:Yes, I started having this issue after updating Ideamaker to 3.3.0; this did not happen in previous versions. Here's an example of the excessive retractions:

Great, thanks I will try disabling those options.

I get the impression (but may be wrong) that IM is based on Slic3r code. Both Slic3r and Slic3r-PE do this same Retraciton and Moves thing, but Cura does not. I really dislike Cura File management in Linux, so had hoped that IM would solve all of this. Out of the frying pan and into the fife. :)

At the moment, I can't see any downside to using your suggestions, but will run some test prints today.

Thanks again.

FirstTimeRound

Postby FirstTimeRound » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Ooops, OK. I already had "avoid inside models," checked and "Bottom and top" was unchecked also.

Back to square one. :)

FirstTimeRound

Postby FirstTimeRound » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Had hoped to hear from a Raise Moderator on this. Nothing? Anything?

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 pm

FirstTimeRound wrote:Ooops, OK. I already had "avoid inside models," checked and "Bottom and top" was unchecked also.

Back to square one. :)

For what it's worth, I never had this problem in Ideamaker 3.2.x, so it might be worth downgrading. Finding an older version online might not be easy, though. Maybe someone on the forum can post an old installer.

Return to “Software”