Extrusion factor / E-factor with Ideamaker

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
mcc

Extrusion factor / E-factor with Ideamaker

Postby mcc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi,

:)
Warning! I own my printer (CR10) for 10 days only. Warning!
:)

I did the following: I measured 100mm of filament, marked that point and instruct the printer to feed 100mm of filament
throught the extruder.
At the end, 3.6mm of the intended 100mm were still there.

From different sources I learned that (intended length)/(intended length - remaining length) is the extrusion factor.
For a factor this has no dimension.

In the settings of Ideamaker (I using the newest beta version of ideamaker with Linux 64bit) I found
"Step-E per mm"...
Is this the place, where I can set the extrusion factor ... and what do I have to input in my case?
Or is there another central configuration setting for the extrusion factor?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
And of course: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKEING IDEAMAKER A FREE TOOL FOR ALL PRINTERS! YEAH! :)
Cheers
mcc

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Extrusion factor / E-factor with Ideamaker

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Please note, you need to check the origin StepE value in the firmware of your machine first, then you can set the edited value in ideaMaker.
Step per unit(mm) refers to how many steps the motor should move to push 1mm-long filament. For example, for we set this value to be 60, which means to move 100mm-long filament, motor needs to move 6000 steps.

The following link explains how to do the calculation.
http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter%2 ... de#Measure
Measure
Required tools: vernier caliper with depth gauge, or similar tool that can precisely measure 100mm. Your hob effective diameter is unlikely to be exactly 7mm.
Remove the hot-end from extruder so you don't waste filament.
Feed in some filament.
Using the extruder body as a reference point, mark the filament at 120mm.
Tell the printer to feed 100mm of filament.
Measure the distance from the extruder body to the mark you made. It will be over 20mm if it moved too little, under if it moved too far.
new_e_steps = old_e_steps * (100 / distance_actually_moved) … or, old_e_steps * (100 / (120 - distance_to_mark))
Set this value in your firmware. You may need to re-flash your board. Sprinter/Marlin supports M92 Ennn to set this value temporarily.
Repeat from Step 3 until you get between 96-104mm. Then continue with this guide. You'll dial it in perfectly later on.
Don't flash firmware yet. There's a further refinement to this value below. Why? The back-pressure from the hot-end alters how much plastic each hob revolution pushes, and you'll probably end up tightening your idler more which reduces the hob effective diameter.
Re-attach hot end.

mcc

Postby mcc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 am

Hi Vicky,

(sorry for my delayed answer...was busy with non-printing tasks... :)

Thanks a lot for your help and the link! I found the Step-Value in the display under Control->Motion and
then the whole way down to the bottom of that list: Step-E/mm = 93 (CR10)

And: You made a new beta (3.04) of IdeaMaker available...I am currently downloading! :) :) :)
Thank you for the software!

Have a nice weekend!
Cheers
mcc

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:16 am

You are welcome. And hope you enjoy the new version!
Any problem of software, please feel free to advise.

Return to “Software”