Cura 2.4 Profiles for Raise3D

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
rimb05

Cura 2.4 Profiles for Raise3D

Postby rimb05 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to share my Cura profiles with the community. I created profiles for both N2 and N2 Plus (dual and single extruder models). I really like IdeaMaker, but it doesn't hurt to have a second slider on hand... and Cura is one of the best out there IMO.

These profiles allow you to use Cura for both single and dual extrusion, as well as mixing nozzle sizes between extruders. It also supports prime towers, which I think are a better solution than the ooze shield in IM.

I also created what I think is an improved purging sequence. I really liked the way my Ultimaker 3 purged - it moved the nozzle very close to the bed, purged for a while until the blob was stuck to the bed, then moved over a bit and tacked the leftover strand to the bed before performing a rapid move to the center, disconnecting the strand from the nozzle in the process. Simple and effective.

There's only one issue that I encountered with using Cura, and I created a workaround for it: With dual extrusion prints, Cura cools down the inactive head while the other one is printing, which minimizes blobs. Then, a few seconds before the nozzle switch, it starts heating up the other head. This is very nice functionality if you ask me, but on the Raise3D, for some reason the firmware takes a long time to report that the temperature has stabilized. So as a result, there are delays when switching nozzles when using Cura (3-4 seconds). As a workaround, I made a Cura script that turns all the M109 commands into M104s, so there's no more pausing. It still pauses for the first time though, and this is because I didn't want to strip out the M109 at the beginning of the print (so the nozzles could reach temperature properly before printing).

A couple of things to keep in mind with these profiles:
- They are set up for a Bondtech extruder (140 steps per mm). This is set in the start.gcode section of the profile, so if you don't have a Bondtech extruder, you'll need to change that.

- Setting your nozzle calibration offsets is done within the extruder file (more specifically, the second extruder file). For example, if you have an N2 Plus, this would be the file named "raise3D_N2_plus_dual_extruder_1.def.json". In that file, just look for the section called "machine_nozzle_offset_x and y and change the values to your nozzle offset.

- Cura doesn't have a place to choose nozzle diameters, but it's just a matter of using the "line width" section in the print setup. It accomplishes exactly the same thing.

Keep in mind that Cura is very picky about the formatting on the profile files, so if you decide to make any changes to the profile files, make sure there are no extra characters, etc.

Where to put the files:

I have a Mac, so I only know where these files go on my system. Maybe someone with a PC can help.

Make sure Cura is closed first. Then, right click on your Cura application file, and choose "Show Package Contents".

These files go into Contents/Resources/resources/definitions:
raise3D_N2_dual.def.json
raise3D_N2_plus_dual.def.json
raise3D_N2_single.def.json
raise3D_N2_plus_single.def.json

These files go into Contents/Resources/resources/extruders:
raise3D_N2_dual_extruder_0.def.json
raise3D_N2_dual_extruder_1.def.json
raise3D_N2_plus_dual_extruder_0.def.json
raise3D_N2_plus_dual_extruder_1.def.json

This file goes into Contents/Resources/plugins/plugins/PostProcessingPlugin/scripts:
NoPauseForHeatup.py

This file goes into Contents/Resources/Meshes:
Raise3D_platform.stl

To use Cura with your Raise3D, first open Cura, then add a new printer. You'll see the Raise3D printers listed under the Other category. Now you can just load your stl and adjust the settings to your preference. I like to have all the settings visible. To do this, go to the preferences, then choose the "settings" tab, and check everything you see.

To use the script I wrote (optional), go to Extensions, Post Processing, Modify GCode. Then add the NoPauseForHeatup script. With this script enabled, Cura will automatically disable all the pauses between nozzle switches (except the first one).

To do a dual color print (it took me a while to figure out how Cura does this):
- Import both models into Cura. Click on each of them, and press the Per Model Settings icon (it's the last icon in the row on the left). Choose Left Extruder for one of the models and Right Extruder for the other one. Now select both of the models with a shift-click, right click and select "Merge Models". This combines the models ready for dual extrusion printing!

Let me know if you encounter any issues. Enjoy!
Attachments
Raise3D Cura Profiles.zip
(300 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Last edited by rimb05 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lami3d

Re: Cura 2.4 Profiles for Raise3D

Postby lami3d » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm

tx man !
but S3D and Ideamaker are anough for me ! lol

even if i found good settings fro that filament , have you got a cura profile for XT-CF20 ?
i may download cura to see that
bondtech mod for me.

rimb05

Postby rimb05 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm

I don't use XT-CF20 myself, but it's easy to create new material profiles in Cura.

jmp

Postby jmp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 am

lami3d wrote:but S3D and Ideamaker are anough for me !

Could you post your s3d profile? I use s3d also but my starting gcode is messed up somehow, I have to preheat the nozzle or it start before it's heated.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm

I wanted to post something to search a good start code in S3D (because i have the original one + just M92 E140 for the bondtech) but more for the fact that it moves the bed up before starting the print than the heating sequence.

By moving the bed up before starting the print, the nozzle moves to the starting point at only 0.2mm (or less) from the bed and it seems like it doesn't perform retraction before moving to the starting point and so, some plastic is leaking on the bed and so the first cm of the skirt layer is not empty... It's not very annoying except for clorfabb XTcf20 that sticks to the nozzle and so you want to optimize by starting the print with a cleaned nozzle and it's not possible with this starting code.

Regarding temperatures, i noticed that ideamaker heats the nozzle "first" and then finish to heat the bed and S3D do the opposite. In both cases, i prefer preheat evreything before starting a print... as you do. i don't know if it's possible to add a tempo in starting gcode to be sure everything is hot before starting. Maybe it's because my hot end is "ultra"-insulated... but i didn't notice the hot end temp is below the set value when i starts to print.

I'm going to try to modifiy the starting code of S3D with the help of the ideamaker one and i will tell you if i find something better.

elance

Postby elance » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:17 am

Hello,

did your S3D starting code work? I look for a starting code for dualprint.
Rause N2+ with Bondtech
S3D Version 3.1.1

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 am

I've got a problem with this profile on Cura 2.6. I have a print that I want to happen entirely on the Right nozzle. No use of the Left one at all. Unfortunately, when I try to print this, Cura first heats the bed, then heats the Left nozzle, at which point I cut the print off.
Why does it heat the unused nozzle?

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 pm

I found a solution to force use of the Right extruder: Cura 2.6 has an Extensions menu. Selecting Post-Processing, Modify Gcode, reveals a Post-Processing panel, where the Add button offers Search/Replace.
This allows replacement of all T0 instances with T1, which seems to kill the left extruder involvement without any side-effects.

MayMe

Postby MayMe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi all,

first of all I want to thank rimb05 for sharing these profiles, I find them really useful. ;) I have a Raise3D N2 Plus and I want to use Cura 2.6.2 to slice my complex model, because I need of concentric support structures that are not available in ideaMaker. I followed all the steps indicates by rimb05, but strangely when I load an STL the object is not on the platform, such as in the image below:
Cattura.PNG

I do not know if this is a real problem, how can I fix it? Also, I wanted to ask if I can explore the Gcode generated with Cura, using ideaMaker.

Thanks again

michellekan97

Postby michellekan97 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 am

elance wrote:Hello,

did your S3D starting code work? I look for a starting code for dualprint.
Rause N2+ with Bondtech
S3D Version 3.1.1

I got the same problem as well. Have you fixed it yet?

elance

Postby elance » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm

yes! I get support from s3d.
did you need help?

Return to “Printing Software”