E3D V6 on Pro2

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Hellsbellsidaho

E3D V6 on Pro2

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 am

I am currently working on E3D V6 Hot End design upgrade for my Pro2. I am curious how many Pro2 users would be interested in upgrading to the E3D V6 hot end.

Naser404

Re: E3D V6 on Pro2

Postby Naser404 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:56 am

i wouldn't mind that :)

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:09 am

Here is what I have for the design. Attaches to the existing Pro2 rod. The knob above the E3D adjust the height of the hot end.
Attachments
e3d v6 for Pro2.jpg

firesped

Postby firesped » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:53 pm

just keep in mind, that you will lose build height from using this. I've had good results using the E3D V6 on my N2 with the adapter that was made for it. I don't know how much difference there is in the hotend interface between the N series and the Pro series though. The adapter is shorter then the standard E3D v6 coldend and fits into the printer mounting.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:08 pm

firesped wrote:just keep in mind, that you will lose build height from using this. I've had good results using the E3D V6 on my N2 with the adapter that was made for it. I don't know how much difference there is in the hotend interface between the N series and the Pro series though. The adapter is shorter then the standard E3D v6 coldend and fits into the printer mounting.

The Pro2 needs to have the ability to adjust the height of the hotends between the left and right since they retract so it is different interface. The design on the Pro2 is horrible and not user friendly and that was one my goals to overcome this issue which I did.

BazilFawlty

Postby BazilFawlty » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 am

Hellsbellsidaho wrote:I am currently working on E3D V6 Hot End design upgrade for my Pro2. I am curious how many Pro2 users would be interested in upgrading to the E3D V6 hot end.

I would be interested in purchasing this for my Pro2.

Will you ship to the UK?

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:11 pm

BazilFawlty wrote:
Hellsbellsidaho wrote:I am currently working on E3D V6 Hot End design upgrade for my Pro2. I am curious how many Pro2 users would be interested in upgrading to the E3D V6 hot end.

I would be interested in purchasing this for my Pro2.

Will you ship to the UK?

Yes.

BazilFawlty

Postby BazilFawlty » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 pm

BazilFawlty wrote:
Hellsbellsidaho wrote:Will you ship to the UK?

Yes.
[/quote]

Excellent. Please add my name to the list of those wishing to try this upgrade.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Design Update: I scraped the first design and am finishing up a design that completely replaces the shifting assembly with a new assembly. The new assembly makes adjustment easier and there is no loss of build height. Rendering to come next week.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:16 pm

I'm very interested in this as well.

Question:
When you say this design "replaces the shifting assembly" you are saying you replaced something with the raising and lowering features of the head with something new? It still raises and lowers though, correct?

FreedomRules

Postby FreedomRules » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:22 am

I'd like to know how Raise3D did the auto lift feature? Currently I'm working on a whole new carriage that would use micro steppers to lift and lower the print head along with built in sensors that work with the print head as the device that presses against the bed to detect exact bed height. The idea is the ability to get precision repeatable nozzle height from the bed. I had thought about solenoids for lifting but then you couldn't easily change nozzle height based upon filament or nozzle size.

Great idea in theory. Guess we will see if I can make it a reality.

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:59 am

I am interested.

Curious to see the new rendering with no loss in useable height, though that is not a deal breaker. Don't know the measurements of the V6 but there is little space outside of the stock heat sink... Especially on the left extruder as the extruder retract drive motor is directly behind it.
Pro 2

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:58 am

I reused the shifting servo that came with the printer and replaced all the other shifting parts. One issue with the current Pro2 that I hate is the leveling of the hot ends. Using the collar was not very bright. My design utilizes set screws for precision adjustable. I designed around what is already existing. If I was starting from square one the entire print head design from the filament sensors to the hotends would be in the trash.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:00 am

FreedomRules wrote:I'd like to know how Raise3D did the auto lift feature? Currently I'm working on a whole new carriage that would use micro steppers to lift and lower the print head along with built in sensors that work with the print head as the device that presses against the bed to detect exact bed height. The idea is the ability to get precision repeatable nozzle height from the bed. I had thought about solenoids for lifting but then you couldn't easily change nozzle height based upon filament or nozzle size.

When you state "Whole new carriage" are you referring to the entire print head from filament sensor down to the hot ends?

FreedomRules

Postby FreedomRules » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Hellsbellsidaho wrote:
FreedomRules wrote:I'd like to know how Raise3D did the auto lift feature? Currently I'm working on a whole new carriage that would use micro steppers to lift and lower the print head along with built in sensors that work with the print head as the device that presses against the bed to detect exact bed height. The idea is the ability to get precision repeatable nozzle height from the bed. I had thought about solenoids for lifting but then you couldn't easily change nozzle height based upon filament or nozzle size.

When you state "Whole new carriage" are you referring to the entire print head from filament sensor down to the hot ends?

Yes sir.. I plan on building everything new for myself. Likely linear rails instead of rods, water cooled Printheads, Printhead carriage holding block, head lifting system and level sensor. Just a matter of if I actually ever get it all done. Likely I'll work my way up. First finish build plate then build a new holding block with the leveling sensor then lifting system for current heads then new heads using water cooling and induction heating to remove any issues with reaching higher temperatures.

Return to “General”