N2 Z axis grinding and problems

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
3dlabs

N2 Z axis grinding and problems

Postby 3dlabs » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:10 pm

So after a 2 month long battle with Matterhackers I finally got the replacement cable for my defective N2. That appeared to fixed the problems so I started a print last night to make sure the printer was reliable. I woke up to this.

The bed is completely bottomed out midway during the print and you could hear the z-hop trying to move it, making a horrible grinding noise. So this went on for the entire upper part of the print.

The Z axis now moves in the opposite direction it should using the arrows on the touch screen, and pressing the home button does nothing. Tried replacing the stepper driver and same thing.

When it does move it makes a grinding noise. The right side of the bed sheet appears to be about 1-2mm higher than the left.

So after 3 months of buying this machine this is what I have.

I also still don't have the filament sensor I paid for over a year ago and was told the first one is defective. Too busy rushing out the Pro 2 huh?

Thanks Raise 3d!
Attachments
Photo-2018-07-03-08-54-11_2099.JPG
Last edited by 3dlabs on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rogman

Re: N2 Junk

Postby Rogman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:14 pm

z stepper driver failed. its a $3 fix.

3dlabs

Postby 3dlabs » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:15 pm

The cable was a 10$ fix, but no one has them and it takes raise 3 months to send one. You make it sound so cheap, I guess you don't rely on your machines to make money.

3dlabs

Postby 3dlabs » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Rogman wrote:z stepper driver failed. its a $3 fix.

Also, had you actually read my post - you'd see that I already replaced the stepper driver, genius. That's not the issue.

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Please check the Z limit switch if it is still work correctly?

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:15 pm

i was starting at the most obvious. i have had multiple drivers fail building machines. they are cheap and crappy. since you have NO social skills and obviously no mechanical skills... sell it!
Last edited by Rogman on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Sounds like you have installed the new cable in the wrong direction on one end. Did you press in the connectors yourself?

Or maybe not. But something is off for sure.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Noren wrote:Sounds like you have installed the new cable in the wrong direction on one end. Did you press in the connectors yourself?

Or maybe not. But something is off for sure.

I had thought of maybe a wiring issue, but if leads were reversed it wouldn't have started the print. The print started OK and then went belly up.

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Yes. That is what confused me as well. That it started ok.

3dlabs

Postby 3dlabs » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Rogman wrote:i was starting at the most obvious. i have had multiple drivers fail building machines. they are cheap and crappy. since you have NO social skills and obviously no mechanical skills... sell it!

Your post came across as a little condescending, and suggested something that was already tried. I have mechanical skills, but I paid a good sum of money for this machine and am not happy about having to rip into the machine again. Anyways, maybe you didn't mean to sound that way so apologies if you didn't.

3dlabs

Postby 3dlabs » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:15 am

So I finally figured out the issue. After replacing the stepper driver again with another one just to be sure, and replacing the motherboard with a spare, I still had no luck.

Homing the bed now would go up, then down at random. I jiggled the wires on the Z stepper motor and it began working suddenly for a moment, but stopped. I had another similar stepper motor from a formbot t-rex which I plugged in and homed, and the motor spun just fine even when jiggling the wires. So definitely looks like the stepper failed, probably the wiring harness.

The formbot trex motor had a longer shaft, and reversed polarity though. So I cut the shaft to length and deburred it and it was a perfect fit. To resolve the reverse polarity issue I simply took it as an opportunity to swap out the driver with a TMC2208 which goes in the opposite direction by default.

Looks like they owe me a 10$ stepper motor.

Return to “General”