Overlapping Print

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Omojesu

Overlapping Print

Postby Omojesu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Hello Raisers,

Can anyone explain this mishap?
Picture shows ten tags being printed, (Five in focus), but note that at a point printer begins to overlap the prints from left to right. Instead of continuing to print directly on to the tag as it had been doing for a couple of hours, for some strange reason, printer began to print between the tags, overlapping two tags and destroying the work. If you look closely you will note the overlapping print. I stopped the print when I noticed and so the tag on the extreme right is not affected. It was not a case of printer being nudged, this is the second time this has happened. I did not tamper with the gcode either!

Anyone?

Thanks guys
Attachments
Overlap.jpg

Charles

Re: Overlapping Print

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Last edited by Charles on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Last edited by Charles on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks.
I am not using retraction at all, besides, this problem only began at a certain height, after 44.5% of the print, why not from the very beginning?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:08 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with retraction. Looks like missed steps causing the print to shift. Are any of the parts starting to lift from the print bed? Do you have a second, idle nozzle installed on the printer? Some Z-lift might help prevent this.

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks.
All the parts are perfectly level, well glued down. There is an idle nozzle but from past experience it is deliberately fixed higher than the primary nozzle and does not interfere with prints - not calibrated for dual extrusion.

Mind you I have done several multiple prints like this in the past with no problems. Absolutely nothing has changed except to upgrade, which did not work so I rolled back the touch pad.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:33 pm

zemlin wrote:Some Z-lift might help prevent this.

I changed out my stepper drivers to make my machines more resistant to X/Y skipping. It can happen sometimes.

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:16 am

Hi Zemlin,
The problem is that this "skipping" as you call it, only happens with multiple prints, not single prints. What is more is that it is a recent mishap, so I wonder if the gcode has gone rogue?

The major challenges that I have had with my N2 revolve around multiple prints:
First things go very well then suddenly filament grinding, stopped retraction, increased temperature but issues.
Now after printing multiple identical objects on several occasions, overlapping.

So I am forced to conclude that N2 is limited to single item prototyping and when you replicate multiple prints, the system rebels.

Even if you use the duplicate function on the IDEAMAKER menu, I find that the duplicate is not a perfect replica of the original.

Thanks anyway

Best

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am

If you want to receive useful tips, you need to provide useful information. Details regarding your printing parameters such as material (brand and type), temperatures, speeds, nozzle size, layer thickness, infill settings, retraction settings, etc. All of these play into the success or failure of your prints.

When you say the duplicate in ideamaker is not a perfect replica, provide photos, measurements, detailed description.

I am forced to conclude that N2 is limited to single item prototyping and when you replicate multiple prints, the system rebels.

Not my experience at all. The ability to run batches of parts is one of the reasons I bought my Raise printers.
I have a batch of 8 parts running on my N2+ right now - eSUN ABS+ in white at 270C, .4mm nozzle, .5mm ext width, .2mm layer thickness. Build surface is PEI over Aluminum at 95C. I generally slice with S3D.

Upgrading the stepper drives is cheap and easy and definitely improves the robustness of the stepper control. I have done this on all three of the Raise N2/N2+ printers I use (my two, and one at work). There's lots of information about stepper drivers elsewhere on the forum.

IMG_1136.jpg

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Understood.

As to duplicating failure in IDEAMAKER can offer nothing more than to say each time i duplicated an object, generally small items with detail(say 30 x 100mm key tag), the replica is marred, period. So I rather duplicate or multiply in the CAD and then import! Give it a go, maybe my settings are off. it was the same issue with merging in dual extrusion initially until it was fixed.

As to main issue, followed your advice and looked at Stepper Drivers; left the cover to the panel open and trained an external fan on the drivers. Experiencing a heatwave in London and have moved to smaller space, that may well have introduced gremlings. Re print however worked out very well but I took the liberty of spacing out the items on the buildplate and arranging hap hazardly, so thanks again. So you suggest replacing the factory installed drivers?

Had used PolyMaker PolyMax with a 0.4 nozzle, 2 shells, started print at 220C dropped to 210C in print; default speed at 50mm/sec and 150microns resolution, HBD of 70C on Buildtak, adhesion improved with Cubify magic glue, first layer 0.25microns.

Encouraging feedback on manufacturing prospects, appreciated.

Best

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Omojesu wrote:So you suggest replacing the factory installed drivers?

I'm a believer. There are those who will say it's not necessary but I think it's very worthwhile.

Here's the most recent active thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?p=33039#p33039

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:01 pm

When printing multiple parts, printing them sequentially rather than all at once (interleaved) is much more reliable, and a bit faster as well. If one part is screwed up, those printed previously will still be usable.

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:58 am

Hi Eldrick, photo please. Your suggestion appears contrary to arrangements in above images which would appear to be the most expedient way to go?

Best

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Advanced Settings / Layer Panel / Print Parts in Sequential Order
This setting should print the parts one-at-a-time, but appears to be non-functional, i.e. broken.

When printing sequentially, you need to arrange the parts with enough space between them that the head clears any previously-printed parts.

Given that iM doesn't work as is should, I'd suggest using Cura, slic3r, or kisslicer, any of which have the ability to print parts sequentially, rather than interleaved all at once.

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 am

Got it EldRick, thanks

Return to “General”