Gizmo Dorks vs. Buildtak PEI

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Hellsbellsidaho

Gizmo Dorks vs. Buildtak PEI

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:31 pm

I have been having issues with the original Buildtak surface and ABS material. When removing the part it causes an impression in the Buildtak surface. I changed to Gizmo Dorks PEI and it works perfectly. The part stuck like glue when the surface was heated up and the part popped off with little effort when the surfaced completely cooled. I complained to Buildtak about their original surface issue and they send me a sheet of their new PEI to try out but it is a no go. The part was difficult to remove after the surface completely cooled and when it was removed it left the impression similar to the original Buildtak surface. My thoughts are the Buildtak is too thin and the adhesive is too weak. If anybody is having issues with ABS materials my recommendation is go with the Gizmo Dorks PEI.

FYI: I purchased the Gizmo Dorks PEI with my own money so this is not a paid advertisement just a friendly recommendation.
Attachments
IMG_1177.jpg

Axel

Re: Gizmo Dorks vs. Buildtak PEI

Postby Axel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:47 pm

If I understand, you removed the builtak from the aluminum plate of the pro2 and glued a sheet of PEI ?
Can we easily remove the buildtak ?
Was there any residual glue ?

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Axel wrote:If I understand, you removed the builtak from the aluminum plate of the pro2 and glued a sheet of PEI ?
Can we easily remove the buildtak ?
Was there any residual glue ?

There was no residue from the Buildtak. It was very easy to remove. The Gizmo Dorks PEI comes with a sheet of 3M adhesive.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:11 pm

The PEI from CSHyde comes with adhesive pre-applied to the PEI, making it Much easier to install on the glass, and has an option for smooth or stippled surface (I prefer the latter).
http://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/3d- ... /ultem-pei?

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:18 pm

EldRick wrote:The PEI from CSHyde comes with adhesive pre-applied to the PEI, making it Much easier to install on the glass, and has an option for smooth or stippled surface (I prefer the latter).

It is only 3mil thick. Does it cause impressions like the Buildtak?

SpaceNinjaPirate

Postby SpaceNinjaPirate » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 am

Hellsbellsidaho wrote:
EldRick wrote:The PEI from CSHyde comes with adhesive pre-applied to the PEI, making it Much easier to install on the glass, and has an option for smooth or stippled surface (I prefer the latter).

3mil is only on the first page.... at the bottom of that listing are the links to successive pages where you can see they can supply up to 40mil thick PEI sheets.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:40 am

SpaceNinjaPirate wrote:
Hellsbellsidaho wrote:

3mil is only on the first page.... at the bottom of that listing are the links to successive pages where you can see they can supply up to 40mil thick PEI sheets.

Have you tried to print flex material on PEI?

SpaceNinjaPirate

Postby SpaceNinjaPirate » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:37 am

Hellsbellsidaho wrote:
SpaceNinjaPirate wrote:
Hellsbellsidaho wrote:

Have you tried to print flex material on PEI?

Sorry, I have not. Not yet anyway. However, according to what I've read, all you need to do to get materials like Ninjaflex to print on PEI is make sure the surface is free of oils and grease by cleaning it off with some isopropyl alcohol. Other than that, apparently flex sticks rather well to PEI.

Axel

Postby Axel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 am

Very happy to hear that you can easily remove the Buildtak from the aluminum plate : this will make it possible to stick PEI and GECKOTEK which are very effective especially for nylon (with Geckotek)

Ninjatek Semiflex prints very well and adheres very well on the PEI, even without heating the plate.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 pm

I purchased three more of Gizmo Dorks PEI because I removed on the I had mounted to test the Buildtak PEI they sent me for free. The Buildtak was junk so I went back to GD but they were peeling off after the bed heated up. Contacted GD but they were of little help so I ordered PEI from CSHyde hoping it works better than GD.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:24 pm

If your 3M adhesive peels after heating up, most likely the surface was not clean enough. Now having said that, I am writing here about my experience with glass and not aluminum. I clean the glass thoroughly and do a final lint free wipe down with grain alcohol. Then, do not touch the part of the surface that will receive the adhesive. I have had no problems with GD PEI since I started being very careful about the cleaning. I also stick the adhesive down with a credit card to make sure even the small bubbles are excluded.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Return to “General”