Pro2.1 (Pre-order Pro2 vs currently shipping Pro2)

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
billbucket

Pro2.1 (Pre-order Pro2 vs currently shipping Pro2)

Postby billbucket » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:41 pm

I pre-ordered a Pro2 and was among the first to receive it. Raise3D recently sent me a replacement Pro2 printer in an attempt to resolve a firmware issue (they were adamant that it was a hardware issue :roll: ). I've noticed some differences between the pre-order version and the recent replacement:

-The runout sensor case is injection molded now, pre-order was 3D printed.
    -The bed heats from 21°C to 60°C in 3 minutes and 8 seconds. My pre-order version took 6 minutes and 12 seconds for the same operation.
    -The build plate now fits perfectly, the pre-order version had a 0.2mm gap (measured with the gauge sent with the printer!) allowing shifting along X axis.
    -The touchscreen is now loose in the lower left corner, this wasn't an issue before.

So, overall, an improvement since the pre-order. The slow bed heating was especially annoying on the pre-order printer because the Pro2 forces sequential heating of the extruders followed by the heating the bed. It's perfectly capable of heating extruders and bed simultaneously and even Ideamaker generates g-code to that effect, but the closed-source firmware does this heating before running the g-code. Anyway, I thought some of you other pre-orderers would be interested in where things are at now, though you may have not had the same initial issues that my printer had. It's getting better!

Casale8

Re: Pro2.1 (Pre-order Pro2 vs currently shipping Pro2)

Postby Casale8 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:45 pm

:| Is this a lesson learned in not being an early adopter?
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

billbucket

Postby billbucket » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Casale8, it may be. I was hoping that R3D would provide pre-orderers with a discount for the Tools Cabinet they're making for the base of the Pro 2, but with recent experience my thought is R3D doesn't care enough about existing customers to do something like that.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49 pm

billbucket wrote:Casale8, it may be. I was hoping that R3D would provide pre-orderers with a discount for the Tools Cabinet they're making for the base of the Pro 2, but with recent experience my thought is R3D doesn't care enough about existing customers to do something like that.

There is a tool cabinet available for the Pro2?

billbucket

Postby billbucket » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Hellsbellsidaho wrote:There is a tool cabinet available for the Pro2?

It shows up in the unboxing video.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:23 pm

I was going through their stuff on their twitter feed and saw some discussion on this cool cabinet. They said they built it just for a trade show deal, and they had so much interest in it they are now thinking of making them available to customers as well. It does look pretty handy and looks like a good design.

Return to “General”