bedplate leveling dial indicator

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
dmtulsa

bedplate leveling dial indicator

Postby dmtulsa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Has anyone designed a part to hold a dial indicator so the bedplate level can be measured correctly? Zip ties just don't work. I'm designing one that attaches to the fan bolts. So far it works but it's a work in progress. Couple more days of testing.

Also designing bedplate clamps as the paper binder clamps just don't do the job. Every failure I've had was do to the bedplate glass moving during print. On my 5th redesign but its looking good and simple to use. I'll post the final designs when I'm done.

I'm new to this as you can probably tell. I figured these two items are basic to getting a good print. If the printer isn't setup correctly then can't expect good results. My N2 's bed plate was out of level up to .021 when I received it. I thought the max was .+-001 so that's way out.
maybe I'm being picky, that comes after 30 years of engineering work. Retired now so I can play and have all the time in the world. I come from a EE / Software engineering background so the mechanical and CAD side is a bit different. I've settled on FreeCAD for design, I have Autocad but I just like FreeCAD better plus Linux is my goto PC OS as I stay away from Windows as much as possible. Maybe Autodesk will produce a linux version like they do with Eagle PCB software.

Anyway it's nice to join the group

dial2.jpg
Bracket mounted in fan position
cad_image.JPG
Bracket image in freeCAD
Dial2.stl
.stl
(84.46 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by dmtulsa on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmtulsa

Re: bedplate leveling dial indicator

Postby dmtulsa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:06 am

Well I posted the dial indicator bracket on thingverse, under dmtulsa. I did see one other that looked pretty cool, just a different approach to the same end. It looked good to me. I may make a couple minor adjustments to the file I posted but it wound be things like increasing the mounting holes by 1mm adding finishing chamfers . Stuff like that. I'm just playing trying to get used to the printer and software like I said in my first post. After I finish remodeling my kitchen for my wife I'm plan on building a 3d scanner that's a bit more robust and much more accurate / faster than the cyclops type. Ya I know back to firmware, nobody writes in ASM anymore but its the only way in my book. Cheaper better faster is the name of the game. It'll be based on a Microchip 32bit dsPic. Should be fun. But, told the wife the kitchen would only take a month and a half and its been for going on five months. Just a few more weeks. I blame it on the 3D printer. Playing with it is much more fun.
I'll upload the file and picture here when I figure out how. Bedplate clamps will be done in a few days. So far so good.

DrewPetitclerc

Postby DrewPetitclerc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:56 pm

Senior Principal Designer
CAD expert user
3D Printing Teacher
Designer
Student
Artist
Comic Book collector
All around nice guy!
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiver...etitclerc/about
https://www.tiertime.com/community/

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 am

We have a N2+ single extruder and I use this one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6460#p25779

I actually had to modify it a bit since our dial gauge had a deeper attachment lug and it was hitting the fan. I’m working on a new one trying to get the gauge closer to the nozzle location since the current one doesn’t allow me to get to the rear of the bed.

Using it we have noticed that our gantry has a good bit of slop in the cross bearings. :?

dmtulsa

Postby dmtulsa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Guess I got lucky that with the N2-v2 dual it's just a simple matter of unbolting a fan and attaching the mount using the same holes and hardware. At first I slotted the dial hole but fount slotting and clamping the indicator wasn't needed it fit very snugly. I have no idea if it would work on any other models. looking at the pictures on the link the N2+ is very different.

I added some attachments to the first post.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 pm

That's the beauty of the mount for the single, there's nothing to unbolt before using it. Just bolt on the dial gauge when using it and remove it when done. Nothing else on the printer needs to be touched.

Return to “General”