Buildtak Impression

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Hellsbellsidaho

Buildtak Impression

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:30 am

When I am removing parts from the Buildtak it makes an impression similar to shown. Anybody else have this issue and/or suggestion on stopping it?
Attachments
IMG_1109(1).jpg

Alex M.

Re: Buildtak Impression

Postby Alex M. » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:19 am

Not sure if it’s exactly the same issue but looked similar.
I had that happen a couple of times when trying new settings with a PETG. I think the bed temp was too high for the PETG (90C) and it stuck good, too good. We now use 80C bed and haven’t had those issues anymore.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Alex M. wrote:Not sure if it’s exactly the same issue but looked similar.
I had that happen a couple of times when trying new settings with a PETG. I think the bed temp was too high for the PETG (90C) and it stuck good, too good. We now use 80C bed and haven’t had those issues anymore.

This has been happening with ABS at 100° bed.

billbucket

Postby billbucket » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 pm

I've only had that happen with ABS with the 100° bed, same as you, though mine looks a bit worse. I haven't tried it yet, but isopropyl alcohol is a recommended cleaning agent (don't use acetone). I don't often print with ABS, so when I do I think I'll just use masking tape for those prints.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:32 pm

billbucket wrote:I've only had that happen with ABS with the 100° bed, same as you, though mine looks a bit worse. I haven't tried it yet, but isopropyl alcohol is a recommended cleaning agent (don't use acetone). I don't often print with ABS, so when I do I think I'll just use masking tape for those prints.

What material do you most often print with? I have been using ABS for the strength and it works well with HIPS support material.

billbucket

Postby billbucket » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Hellsbellsidaho wrote:What material do you most often print with? I have been using ABS for the strength and it works well with HIPS support material.

I mostly use PLA, lately, because I've been mostly printing things for indoor use. Though upon further reflection the same markings appear for TPU.

I have some HIPS to try as support material, but haven't used it yet. Does the HIPS also leave marks?

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:32 pm

billbucket wrote:
Hellsbellsidaho wrote:What material do you most often print with? I have been using ABS for the strength and it works well with HIPS support material.

I mostly use PLA, lately, because I've been mostly printing things for indoor use. Though upon further reflection the same markings appear for TPU.

I have some HIPS to try as support material, but haven't used it yet. Does the HIPS also leave marks?

Not sure about HIPS leaving the marks as most of the time it never touches the Buildtak. I was actually considering getting the Buildtak Flexplate but it's $175 and I haven't seen any reviews on it with the Pro2. When you remove your prints do you wait until the bed is completely cooled off?

billbucket

Postby billbucket » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Hellsbellsidaho wrote:
Not sure about HIPS leaving the marks as most of the time it never touches the Buildtak. I was actually considering getting the Buildtak Flexplate but it's $175 and I haven't seen any reviews on it with the Pro2. When you remove your prints do you wait until the bed is completely cooled off?

I can't say that I always wait for it to cool off completely. I'm usually starting another print right afterward and don't want to wait for the bed to fully cool and then fully heat again. The heating seems slow, the cooling is slower.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 pm

billbucket wrote:
Hellsbellsidaho wrote:

I can't say that I always wait for it to cool off completely. I'm usually starting another print right afterward and don't want to wait for the bed to fully cool and then fully heat again. The heating seems slow, the cooling is slower.

When it's available I plan to purchase another removable bed so I can swap them out between prints.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:50 am

Does this issue happen to you no matter adding Raft or not and no matter the shape of bottom layer of model is with sharp corners or not round shape?

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Does this issue happen to you no matter adding Raft or not and no matter the shape of bottom layer of model is with sharp corners or not round shape?

It happens all the time with ABS. I opened a ticket and tech support is working with Raise3D engineering and I also emailed another person at Raise3D so says this is a known issue that is being worked on. I have some PETG on order and I hope it works better but I have a lot of ABS so I would like to keep using it also.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:39 am

We may need to check with buildtak for more information. If you meet similar issue with other filament under different bed temperature, advise us with picture.

Hellsbellsidaho

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We may need to check with buildtak for more information. If you meet similar issue with other filament under different bed temperature, advise us with picture.

I checked with Buildtak and they place all the blame on the end user. I replaced the Buildtak on my Pro2 last night after only 5 prints. I printed on it last night and removed the print very gentually with a spatula being very careful to no pry upwards and still there is a bubble.
Attachments
IMG_1125.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:50 am

May I ask a picture which can show the full build surface, both the previous one and the new one?

Meebert

Postby Meebert » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:47 pm

I've had issues with a few different materials bonding to the buildtak well enough to cause damage when trying to remove the part. For me it's been an issue if the first layer is close to the buildtak, Polycarbonate seems to be the most unforgiving but I haven't had a lot of chances to mess with PC in a while. PETG should come up easily with the proper layer height but I've also damaged a buildtak surface with PETG because of the first layer height. I'm starting to use more glue stick but I'd prefer not to if I can avoid it, I want the buildtak to be able to work it's magic.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:53 am

Would you like to shoot us a support ticket to us at help.raise3d.com with your serial number, printing settings and picture of the full build surface?

PaulO

Postby PaulO » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:50 pm

This happens to me with every print--I've only been printing with Polymake PC-Max. I have to replace the buildtak surface fairly often, as the bubbles get pretty high. I only print with rafts. PC is difficult to get to stick properly to the Buildtak when printing large large parts (esp if bed isn't perfectly level), so I do everything I can to get it to stick, which also means it's difficult to remove. One thing I found that helps with this is to separate the part from the raft before removing the raft from the buildtak.

Return to “General”