Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Alex M.

Re: Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Postby Alex M. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Candman91 wrote:I have been using the Wifi feature, primarily because the ethernet port doesn't work. My company's IT department has everything working on their end and went in to configure the setup to run on our wired network, but it just wouldn't work. Unfortunately as well, per company policy, all USB ports are locked to protect sensitive data, so wireless is my only option that works.

Not sure if you saw the new feature in RaiseTouch version 0.9.10. If you go to ethernet and "Enable Advanced Settings", you can limit the ethernet speeds and get it to work. Read more about it here (and above in this thread).

Hellsbellsidaho

Re: Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Postby Hellsbellsidaho » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Ethernet on my Pro2
Last edited by Hellsbellsidaho on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:39 am

Hellsbellsidaho wrote:Ethernet.

Just to be clear, I think the reason for asking the question in this topic is related to the problems specially on the N series.
The Pro2 series is a slightly different front panel IMX6 board, supposedly all new an custom, and so mixing the results into this survey might give the wrong impression or lead to incorrect conclusions.

Just saying, I think folks need to say what printer they are using AND if they use Ethernet.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:05 am

As to answer the survey, I use wifi on my N1, N2, and N2 Plus, as well as my custom printer based on another N1 control box and mainboard.

The hypothesis is that the PHY and actual physical routing of traces to the Ethernet connector- specific to the N series custom IMX6 board in the Raise Touch control panel has some level of interference or noise, and when running at maximum rate, this noise then causes errors in packets and chokes the system.

To that end, yes, I personally have seen this in testing of my 4 N series printers on Ethernet. I saw various slowdowns and slow tranfer rates, regardless of raisetouch software version up until the most recent 0.9.10 which has rate limiting function to avoid this. Also, in my fleet of various printers starting from the earliest kickstarter unit to the most recent shipped N2Plus and a replacement panel for that same N2Plus, I have various versions of the IMX6 board (early boards were white, later boards are blue and a different design) and ALL of them show some form of slow rates compared to using the wifi interface on my network.

However, I also have a data point that I doubt anyone else has. That is, I wanted to run the Raise 3D interface on other printers, and since Raise 3D will not sell that part of the electronics. So, I worked and worked to get the Raisetouch complete software and operating system image copied over to a genuine Linksprite brand pcDuino Acadia IMX6 quad board. It also uses the exact same Ethernet PHY chip, the same processor and so forth, but is just a slightly different board. It running the exact same code, does not appear to have this problem on the Ethernet.
Again, the same code, same processor, same PHY Ethernet IC, however minor differences in the actual board itself between the PHY chip and the physical Ethernet jack. And yes, this produced a data point with a different result.

Going further, and why I said we need to make is clear on this survey and post- Pro2 owners have a different and completely new IMX6 board completely different with all new layout. We absolutely should collect the data points of if these folks use wifi or ethernet, but we need to make that distinction is we are trying to compile this survey into meaningful data, rather than just lumping them in with N series users since the board and electronics are in fact different.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:10 am

Jetguy wrote:Again, the same code, same processor, same PHY Ethernet IC, however minor differences in the actual board itself between the PHY chip and the physical Ethernet jack. And yes, this produced a data point with a different result.

Very interesting! Is it the exact same processor? And exact same code, as in same bootloader, etc?
The reason I ask is that after reading the "Chip Errata for the i.MX 6Dual/6Quad and i.MX 6DualPlus/6QuadPlus" I was pretty sure this issue was due to ERR004512 - ENET: 1 Gb Ethernet MAC (ENET) system limitation, which was a processor issue. They talk about a possibly workaround but state it wasn't implemented in the Linux BSP. Could it be that the other board has this implemented? Therefore the OS might be exactly the same but the BSP has been tweaked to implement this workaround?

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:30 am

I also agree that if we keep the poll going we should now state which printer since there are two series. I initially made the poll to figure out if I was the only person using ethernet and/or the only one with a problem using ethernet. I had my suspicions at the time that my issues were related to the errata, but wanted to gather more info. Then after my testing with my 100Mbps router and switch I was pretty convinced. When mb300sd's did his testing I knew we had found the issue (or at least a workaround). I felt even better when jmp confirmed the 100Mbps router / switch fixed his issue too. Therefore for me the poll has already accomplished it's goal, which was to confirm I wasn't the only person with ethernet issues and get Raise3D to fix it.

I still wonder if we can do better since ~400Mbps seems to be the limit in the errata. Based on Jetguy's last post I wonder if something more can be done to actually function at 1Gbps connections with throughput limited to ~400Mbps. (?)

dmtulsa

Postby dmtulsa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:49 pm

I use all 3. ethernet mainly but it quit working and I'm trouble shooting
Keep all 3 options

Return to “General”