Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Alex M.

Re: Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Postby Alex M. » Wed May 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Interesting! So you adjusted the switch to 100Mbps, and not the printer? I was going to ask our IT guy if that was possible but haven't seen him around yet.

I also realized that about the time I first upgraded our printers firmware and started having issues was the same time our IT guy upgraded our switches from Netgear JGS524 unmanaged switches to our new Cisco SG300-52 managed switches. The first link I posted, talked about the IMX6 Ethernet Performance issue / errata issue and that they were also using Cisco managed switches. :?

Beginning to wonder more and more about this ENET errata and if something was done by Raise3D to mitigate the issue. It seems the ENET issue was first reported by NXP in errata Rev. 0 back in 10/2012. Then it was updated in errata Rev. 3 in 11/2013, still with no scheduled fix. Both of these dates are well before the kickstarter for Raise3D so I'd love to hear how they handled the issue and what testing they did to ensure it's not a problem.

UPDATE: I was typing for a while and getting pulled away. I just submitted and saw your post. That's great news! Thanks for the update!

FreedomRules

Re: Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Postby FreedomRules » Wed May 23, 2018 8:42 pm

mb300sd wrote:Well, I'm not sure what I did now, rebooted the printer and plugged/unplugged a bit and it's working.

Definitely have to set 100/full/noauto both ends though. If it's set in the switch and not the printer, it comes up as half duplex (expected if I recall the ethernet spec correctly), if it's set on the printer and not the switch, it doesn't come up at all.

Going to keep her on ethernet now so my camera stream doesn't eat any wifi bandwidth.
Added the last line to /etc/network/interfaces

Code: Select all

# Wired or wireless interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
        post-up ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

And saved my switch config.

When you make the changes you usually have to restart either the machine or the service your making changes to otherwise the config won't be applied yet. Only saying this as I don't know what your level of technical expertise is. Normally you'd make changes then issue "service network restart" or "systemctl restart networking" or "service networking restart" to implement the change or reboot but most linux people don't like rebooting. The command kinda depends upon what distro of linux it is. If my printer wasn't off I'd VPN and test to see if you can restart services. I'd assume you could as thats a pretty basic linux function.

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Wed May 23, 2018 8:53 pm

FreedomRules wrote:
mb300sd wrote:Well, I'm not sure what I did now, rebooted the printer and plugged/unplugged a bit and it's working.

Definitely have to set 100/full/noauto both ends though. If it's set in the switch and not the printer, it comes up as half duplex (expected if I recall the ethernet spec correctly), if it's set on the printer and not the switch, it doesn't come up at all.

Going to keep her on ethernet now so my camera stream doesn't eat any wifi bandwidth.
Added the last line to /etc/network/interfaces

Code: Select all

# Wired or wireless interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
        post-up ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

And saved my switch config.

When you make the changes you usually have to restart either the machine or the service your making changes to otherwise the config won't be applied yet. Only saying this as I don't know what your level of technical expertise is. Normally you'd make changes then issue "service network restart" or "systemctl restart networking" or "service networking restart" to implement the change or reboot but most linux people don't like rebooting. The command kinda depends upon what distro of linux it is. If my printer wasn't off I'd VPN and test to see if you can restart services. I'd assume you could as thats a pretty basic linux function.

I'm 99% sure ethtool takes effect immediately, and I did do an ifdown/ifup. I've noticed that the touchscreen isn't really set up to be connected to wifi and ethernet at the same time, so I think that may have been part of it. Either way, it works now and I'm not going to spend much time trying to break it again.

Alex M. wrote:Interesting! So you adjusted the switch to 100Mbps, and not the printer? I was going to ask our IT guy if that was possible but haven't seen him around yet.

I also realized that about the time I first upgraded our printers firmware and started having issues was the same time our IT guy upgraded our switches from Netgear JGS524 unmanaged switches to our new Cisco SG300-52 managed switches. The first link I posted, talked about the IMX6 Ethernet Performance issue / errata issue and that they were also using Cisco managed switches. :?

Beginning to wonder more and more about this ENET errata and if something was done by Raise3D to mitigate the issue. It seems the ENET issue was first reported by NXP in errata Rev. 0 back in 10/2012. Then it was updated in errata Rev. 3 in 11/2013, still with no scheduled fix. Both of these dates are well before the kickstarter for Raise3D so I'd love to hear how they handled the issue and what testing they did to ensure it's not a problem.

UPDATE: I was typing for a while and getting pulled away. I just submitted and saw your post. That's great news! Thanks for the update!

If its Cisco, you can 100% set the speed and duplex, as long as your IT guy is willing to do it.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Wed May 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks for the code! My gut is telling me that if you keep it at 100Mbps that you'll have a hard time breaking it. I feel a lot of these issues are coming from the flaw in the iMX6 and the simplest way to resolve it would be to keep traffic well below the ~400Mbps limitation.

I really want to try this code on our printer but my manager doesn't want me or the software engineer to try it in fears of voiding the warranty. Any sense if this would void the warranty? I have seen Vicky recommend making edits via ssh for proxy & ipv6 so I assume it would be OK but need to make my manager feel the same way.

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Alex M. wrote:Thanks for the code! My gut is telling me that if you keep it at 100Mbps that you'll have a hard time breaking it. I feel a lot of these issues are coming from the flaw in the iMX6 and the simplest way to resolve it would be to keep traffic well below the ~400Mbps limitation.

I really want to try this code on our printer but my manager doesn't want me or the software engineer to try it in fears of voiding the warranty. Any sense if this would void the warranty? I have seen Vicky recommend making edits via ssh for proxy & ipv6 so I assume it would be OK but need to make my manager feel the same way.

I doubt it would, but Vicky would have to confirm.

Another option would be forcing 100/half on the switch side, and the printer will also link up at 100/half with no changes. If you force 100/full with no auto negotiation, the printer will link at 100/half which may cause some issues. Half duplex should work fine if you're only uploading files and don't have a camera.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu May 24, 2018 12:32 am

Thanks, I'll have to see if Vicky chimes in or if Jeffrey with Support gets back to me. I reported this 5/11/18 and got a response back 5/16/18 stating he was forwarding the ethernet issue to another tech who was more knowledgeable in networking. A few minutes later on 5/16/18, I got another email requesting unit S/N, etc which I provide on 5/17/18. Have heard nothing more since. :(

Fiesel

Postby Fiesel » Mon May 28, 2018 3:16 pm

I'm using wifi and am copying gcode files to the printer via scp

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Mon May 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks to all that have posted. I was hoping to see if others were having issues with Ethernet and it seems that most that have tried it do have issues or at least a slow buggy connection.

I believe I have discovered the reason for this Ethernet issue, as documented earlier in this thread. Thanks to mb300sd and his change to the interferaces file, I know we have a way to limit the Ethernet speed on the printer and get a much faster and more stable connection. I have forwarded the information to Raise3D support, and am waiting on their approval to modify our interfaces file, since we are still under warranty for another 60 days.

For now we are using a 100Mbps router to get our Ethernet working. I know Raise3D needs to review the information and test the fix, but I wish they would just give me the Ok to test this for them so I can get rid of the 100Mbps router before my IT group does.

If anyone wants to try to improve their Ethernet performance, I suggest that they read the thread and try limiting their printers to 100Mbps. I believe that they will see a dramatic improvement in performance.

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Mon May 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Not that it helps - I am connected wired Mac to Wired printer through a 1G connection and even with the latest software for printer and Ideamaker, its still working ok.

It might be a little slower than it was but I might be printing bigger files too.

I have never transferred files any other way - at lest yet.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Mon May 28, 2018 10:53 pm

Noren wrote:I’m using the latest versions of touch and ideamaker on my N1.

1. The printer has Ethernet enabled. WiFi off.
(But the Mac is connect via WiFi. So it’s not a direct Ethernet to Ethernet transfer).

Same here.
I've got the ethernet plugged into my local LAN here and then connect to the printer from my laptop via Wireless.
I haven't enabled WiFi on my N2+ because we have a crazy password scheme that rotates regularly here for the WiFi, so it's just easier to plug the printer into a trusted port.

I also have a good bit of experience with wireless hardware and know that antenna inside the front-panel isn't likely to have that great of a range, esp. being situated inside a metal cage like it is.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 29, 2018 12:35 am

Thanks for the input, it actually does help a lot. When we first got the printer it was working ok. Seemed a bit slow but we had nothing to really judge it against since it was our only printer. Then we updated the firmware and started having problems so we downgraded again. We thought the new firmware was bad and going back helped but soon had issues with the original firmware too. The part we missed was that our network was upgraded to managed switches right about the same time.
Before the managed switches our Ethernet port worked ok but there seemed to be a lag at connecting and transferring files. I figured it was the printer or ideaMaker software but have now discovered that it was the Ethernet this whole time.
Our printer now connects very fast and our transfers occur in a blink. If I pull the 100Mbps router and go straight to the 1Gbps network, our printer may or may not connect and transfers are slow.

I urge anyone who uses Ethernet to try and limit the printer to 100Mbps by either a slow switch / router or applying the code mb300sd posted. I bet that your network connection will be faster and more reliable. For example, we never had “real time” feedback on the virtual dashboard but now it updates almost instantly.

jmp

Postby jmp » Tue May 29, 2018 12:50 am

I just did what you suggested (in my case put in an old 10/100 switch) and magically all my Ethernet issues disappeared.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 29, 2018 1:55 am

Thanks for posting your results! I’m glad it seems the reason for the slow Ethernet has been discovered. Now to see how Raise3D will handle it.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 29, 2018 6:51 am

Sorry for the late reply and thanks so much for all your patience for waiting the confirmation from official side.
To get the result, we have done a few tests on Managed Switch (Cisco SG300) in the passing week. Here are the results:

Below are the factory settings of the managed switch:
Auto Negotiation: Enable
Auto Advertisement: Max Capability
2.png

The issue we are currently meeting with:
When keeping both touchscreen and managed switch under factory setting, the uploading speed from PC to touchscreen is very slow:

1. Edit settings in RaiseTouch only:
RaiseTouch: 100M, Duplex Half, Auto Negotiation Off
Command: ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex half autoneg off

Upload Bandwidth: 39.7 Mbits/sec
Download Bandwidth: 68.4 Mbits/sec

2. Edit setting in Managed Switch only:
Two options:
a. Auto Negotiation: Disable, Port Speed: 100M, Duplex Mode: Half
Upload Bandwidth: 32.5 Mbits/sec
Download Bandwidth: 68.3 Mbits/sec

b. Auto Negotiation: Enable, Auto Advertisement: 100 Full
Upload Bandwidth: 89.4 Mbits/sec
Download Bandwidth: 94.5 Mbits/sec

3. Edit settings in both RaiseTouch and Managed Switch:
Two options:
a. Switch: Auto Negotiation: Disable, Port Speed: 100M, Duplex Mode: Full
RaiseTouch: 100M, Duplex Full, Auto Negotiation Off
Command: ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

Upload Bandwidth: 94.9 Mbits/sec
Download Bandwidth: 94.2 Mbits/sec

b. Switch: Auto Negotiation: Disable, Port Speed: 100M, Duplex Mode: Half
RaiseTouch: 100M, Duplex Half, Auto Negotiation Off
Command: ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex half autoneg off

Upload Bandwidth: 47.2 Mbits/sec
Download Bandwidth: 68.5 Mbits/sec

Based on the testing results above, we found that Auto Negotiation, Port Speed, Duplex Mode affect uploading speed. Since these settings are currently not available in RaiseTouch, we will release a new version with these options added in early June.
Thanks for your patience.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 29, 2018 7:22 am

Hi Vicky - Thank you very much for your post and just letting us know that you have been working on this! It's honestly the first thing I have heard back from anyone at Raise3D and I really appreciate you sharing the findings. It's even better to hear a fix is coming out soon. :D

Edit: Did you every try to edit settings in RaiseTouch only for 100M, Duplex Full, Auto Negotiation Off?
I.e. Command: ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

This seems like the only speed comparison that wasn't listed. I'm wondering if I'll need to get IT to adjust our switch or if doing it with RaiseTouch only will basically be the same. Thx

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 29, 2018 8:01 am

Here are the options and results we have tried by now.
1.png

The ones I listed in the previous post are what we think can work.

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Wed May 30, 2018 6:21 am

A big part of this has to do with the ethernet spec. Any time you don't have auto negotiation, the end not specifically configured will default to half duplex. So forcing 100/full/noauto on one end and not the other will always cause a full/half mismatch. An option I didn't think of earlier is 100/full/auto one end. My switch does not allow forcing a speed with auto enabled.

Alex M, you might want to try 100/full/auto on the printer only if you don't want to change switch settings, or on the switch (if possible) if you want to avoid changing them on the printer. 100/half/noauto on one end only will always work, no matter which end you set it on.

bwulfe

Postby bwulfe » Wed May 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Hardware Ethernet Cable. I’ll typically send the file, then go to the home screen and preheat my nozzles & print bed. If it’s a small file, I’ll reverse that order.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Wed May 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Vicky, Thanks for the chart! That really helps, especially since you had used the same model switch that our IT is using in-house.

mb300sd - Thanks for the information and thoughts about possible settings. Since I still haven't received an answer regarding if making an SSH mod will affect our warranty, my manager wants me to wait. Hopefully the new controls will be out soon so I can try out your ideas. If not I've got about another 54 days on the electronics warranty.
I know our IT would rather not make changes to the switch but if it comes down to a change or an in-line 10M/100M switch, I think I can convince them. ;)

Candman91

Postby Candman91 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:22 pm

I have been using the Wifi feature, primarily because the ethernet port doesn't work. My company's IT department has everything working on their end and went in to configure the setup to run on our wired network, but it just wouldn't work. Unfortunately as well, per company policy, all USB ports are locked to protect sensitive data, so wireless is my only option that works.

Return to “General”