Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Alex M.

Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Postby Alex M. » Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi All,

We have been having an Ethernet connectivity issues with our new N2 Plus after upgrading the RaiseTouch firmware. Unfortunately, downgrading hasn't resolved the issues. I have run several tests while waiting for Raise3D's support to get back to me but get very inconsistent connection, if any at all. Based on the readings I've done here and on the web, it seems the touchscreen runs on a NXP IMX6 processor but I'm not sure which model. Some (or possible all of) those processors seem to have hardware based issue with Ethernet performance documented in the chip's errata (ERR004512) which I found in the following topics.

https://community.nxp.com/thread/366722
https://community.nxp.com/thread/466054
https://community.nxp.com/thread/340956

Therefore I'm trying to figure out if we are dealing with a software issue or a hardware problem. I assume if it were a hardware problem more people would be having it, unless we are part of a select few that must use ethernet instead of Wifi.

Therefore I am very curious.... Do you use:

1. Ethernet to transfer?
2. Wifi to transfer?
3. Some flash drive (USD or SD card) to transfer?

Please respond with RaiseTouch & ideaMaker versions if using methods #1 or #2 above.

Noren

Re: Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Postby Noren » Mon May 21, 2018 9:54 pm

I’m using the latest versions of touch and ideamaker on my N1.

1. The printer has Ethernet enabled. WiFi off.
(But the Mac is connect via WiFi. So it’s not a direct Ethernet to Ethernet transfer).

FreedomRules

Re: Poll - Do you use Ethernet, Wifi or Flash Drive to transfer your files to your Raise3D printer?

Postby FreedomRules » Tue May 22, 2018 5:49 am

I had spuratic Ethernet issue but never did try disabling WiFi. I get best copy performance copying over WiFi and via terminal using SCP. I gave up on Ethernet and GUI copy awhile back. I’m running latest touch and my own custom Marlin 1.8. I turned in a ticket and as I recall I was told there were known issues in the current version of ideaMaker at the time.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 am

Noren wrote:I’m using the latest versions of touch and ideamaker on my N1.

(But the Mac is connect via WiFi. So it’s not a direct Ethernet to Ethernet transfer).

Is your router a 1Gbs router? Or an older 100Mbs router?

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 am

Thank you both for the replies. I did a bit more testing today trying to ping the unit and my results were horrible regardless of if I was using a static or DCHP Ethernet connection (that is when I could get them to work). Basically my absolute best result was 50% success, with most being complete failures and a few 1 out of 4 response pings.
Then I decided to try and connect the printer to my laptop via my cell phone's hotspot, and it worked! I was able to ping the printer from my laptop with no drops at all!
After reading a bit more, my thoughts are that the Ethernet issue is related to the errata on the iMX6 chip and Raise3D just haven't gotten a fix for it yet, or my hardware doesn't have the fix. I plan to test my theory tomorrow with an old router I dug up tonight which only has 100Mbs Ethernet ports. Since the limit on the errata is ~400Mbs, if the Ethernet works connected to the old 100Mbs limited router, I'll feel pretty confident that I've found the issue.

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue May 22, 2018 8:35 am

Alex M. wrote:
Noren wrote:I’m using the latest versions of touch and ideamaker on my N1.

Is your router a 1Gbs router? Or an older 100Mbs router?

I have the latest airport extremes and a netgear switch with a gigabit backend.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 22, 2018 10:53 am

FreedomRules wrote:I had spuratic Ethernet issue but never did try disabling WiFi. I get best copy performance copying over WiFi and via terminal using SCP. I gave up on Ethernet and GUI copy awhile back. I’m running latest touch and my own custom Marlin 1.8. I turned in a ticket and as I recall I was told there were known issues in the current version of ideaMaker at the time.

Would you like advise your ticket number? Want to check more details about the issues you mentioned in ideaMaker.

jmp

Postby jmp » Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 pm

I use a flash drive because sadly it is faster to copy a 20mb file to the flash drive, walk down the basement stairs, and plug it in than to transfer over Ethernet.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

FreedomRules

Postby FreedomRules » Tue May 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
FreedomRules wrote:I had spuratic Ethernet issue but never did try disabling WiFi. I get best copy performance copying over WiFi and via terminal using SCP. I gave up on Ethernet and GUI copy awhile back. I’m running latest touch and my own custom Marlin 1.8. I turned in a ticket and as I recall I was told there were known issues in the current version of ideaMaker at the time.

Would you like advise your ticket number? Want to check more details about the issues you mentioned in ideaMaker.

So I looked for it and it looks like it ended up being a PM that initial started between me and you of January this year. The conversation then flooded over to a phone conversation with I know Marc Franz and I also think Donny in support. I don't remember the specifics 100% but it was along the lines of the driver used from IdeaMaker to connect to the printer had known issues. Like I specified in my PM only time I really had issues was when copying using IdeaMaker. I've copied probably around 500 files over since via shell and everything copies flawless. I'm also thinking I made some changing so some backend files in the etc folder to do with networking as well but thats been more than a day and considering I work on linux systems all day it all just flows together. IF you could tell me where I could download stock system folder structure I could verify if or what changes I made to the stock OS folder.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:35 pm

I use a flash drive because our network has problems.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Well I just tested the network performance between my laptop and the N2+ when they are connected through my old Airlink101 Model AR430W 100Mbps router. I could not believe how FAST the connection was when it was linked at 100Mbps. A file that took a minute or two to upload, uploaded in a flash of a second or so. My pings were 100% and the network connection of the printer worked as I would have expected it to do.

I am convinced that my printer (or more likely all of them) are effected by the issue described in the i.MX6Q errata, specifically ERR004512, which states "“Limitation of ENET throughput to around 400 Mbps. ENET remains fully compatible to 1Gb standard in terms of protocol and physical signaling. If the TX and RX peak data rate is higher than 400 Mbps, there is a risk of ENET RX FIFO overrun.”

When I connect to a 1Gbps network, the network performance is unusable, however when I connect to a 100Mbps network its never been better. Searching the web it seems another company which uses the i.MX6Q had an issue with this as well and they have a blog post testing the problem and explaining a solution.

Hopefully Raise3D can implement this as well. Heck I'd be happy if they just limited the ethernet to 100Mbps.
Last edited by Alex M. on Wed May 23, 2018 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm

I've used WiFi from the start, with no problems (N2+)

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Wed May 23, 2018 4:15 am

I could never get it to link reliably over ethernet, never tried again after I found out you could ssh in and set up WPA-Enterprise so it could link to my wifis.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Wed May 23, 2018 7:23 am

mb300sd wrote:I could never get it to link reliably over ethernet, never tried again after I found out you could ssh in and set up WPA-Enterprise so it could link to my wifis.

Unfortunately for security our WiFi is firewalled such that devices on WiFi are isolated from other devices on the network. The devices must hardwire or VPN in to be accessible on the network.

When you ssh do you know if you have the “ethtool” or “mii-tool” commands available? I’m wondering if it would be possible to set the Ethernet speed to 100Mbps using a command like “ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off”, or “mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0”.

If this could be possible, I assume I could get it to link to my 1Gbps network at 100Mbps which would then let me confirm that the problem is truly the issue in the errata of the iMX6 processor.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed May 23, 2018 8:11 am

What if you plug in the printer with a Cat3 cable?

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Wed May 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Noren wrote:What if you plug in the printer with a Cat3 cable?

Interesting thought! I’m not sure if I could find a CAT3 cable but even if I could, I wonder if that would effect the auto-negotiation speed.(?)

I was meaning to ask you, does your printer link at 1Gbps? If so, how are the transfer speeds?

On our Gb network (when it would connect), the connection process to get to the dashboard of the printer remotely, would scroll through the entire scroll bar and then pause before connecting to the dashboard. On the Mb network it would scroll through the first 1/8 to 1/4 of the bar and the dashboard would pop up. The speed difference is amazing.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 pm

My speed is extremely random. Mostly ok. But also really slow. So something is up. That I can agree on. :)

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm

If you have access to an older router or switch that is limited to 100Mbps, I suggest you try connecting the printer through it. My guess is that your speeds will GREATLY improve and suddenly be very consistent.

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Wed May 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Alex M. wrote:
mb300sd wrote:I could never get it to link reliably over ethernet, never tried again after I found out you could ssh in and set up WPA-Enterprise so it could link to my wifis.

Unfortunately for security our WiFi is firewalled such that devices on WiFi are isolated from other devices on the network. The devices must hardwire or VPN in to be accessible on the network.

When you ssh do you know if you have the “ethtool” or “mii-tool” commands available? I’m wondering if it would be possible to set the Ethernet speed to 100Mbps using a command like “ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off”, or “mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0”.

If this could be possible, I assume I could get it to link to my 1Gbps network at 100Mbps which would then let me confirm that the problem is truly the issue in the errata of the iMX6 processor.

Tried and still had the same results. The link keeps going in and out. I also configured the switch to do 100/full/no-auto-negotiate on port 11 with the same results.

https://streamable.com/865uu

Code: Select all

(LB4M FASTPATH Switching) #cablestatus 0/11

Cable status test failed.

Cable Status................................... Normal
Cable Length................................... 18m - 21m

Cable Length................................... 18m - 22m

Cable works fine with any other device.

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Well, I'm not sure what I did now, rebooted the printer and plugged/unplugged a bit and it's working.

Definitely have to set 100/full/noauto both ends though. If it's set in the switch and not the printer, it comes up as half duplex (expected if I recall the ethernet spec correctly), if it's set on the printer and not the switch, it doesn't come up at all.

Going to keep her on ethernet now so my camera stream doesn't eat any wifi bandwidth.
Added the last line to /etc/network/interfaces

Code: Select all

# Wired or wireless interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
        post-up ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

And saved my switch config.

Return to “General”