First Layer Printing Issue

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
TBlanton

First Layer Printing Issue

Postby TBlanton » Mon May 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Hello all,

I am facing an issue during printing with my N2 Plus. I attempted a couple of different prints over the weekend and ran into the same issue both times. I got the raft and several hours worth of support material printed perfectly, but once the print got to the first layer of the object itself, the filament came out inconsistently and quickly ruined the prints. Pics below

I'm printing with Hatchbox ABS, 230c Extruder Temp, 80c bed

Has anyone run into this issue or know what may be happening?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG-1569.JPG
IMG-1568.JPG

Noren

Re: First Layer Printing Issue

Postby Noren » Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 pm

My guess is that your nozzle is to close to the bed. And maybe a temp/speed issue as well.

You are sure you have the correct nozzle size and filament diameter setup?

TBlanton

Postby TBlanton » Wed May 23, 2018 11:35 pm

Nozzle size is .4mm that came with the N2. Filament diameter is 1.75.

Per Hatchbox's recommendation in the info sheet that comes with the filament, I set the temp to 230. I thought that was a little low for ABS, but didn't think much of it. I have had several successes on other prints with the same slice settings, nozzle height, but at slightly higher temps. I just thought it pretty odd that the raft and support material printed flawlessly for so long and then failed so abruptly once it began laying the object itself.

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu May 24, 2018 7:03 am

The raft lays down thick and slow. And isn't to sensitive. But if your nozzle is to close to the bed. The raft might be ok. But higher up you get no space between the already printed plastic and the nozzle. And if you get pressure buildup in the nozzle you get this uneven extrusion. The plastic can't get out – then it's high enough pressure the plastic squirts out. And so on. I could be wrong, but a relevel of the bed and check that you have 0.2 mm distance between the nozzle and the bed is a good first step anyway.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu May 24, 2018 4:49 pm

"But if your nozzle is to close to the bed. The raft might be ok. But higher up you get no space between the already printed plastic and the nozzle."

Not correct. Layers in the raft after the first will absorb any height issues with the first layer.

"I could be wrong,"
Yep.

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 pm

EldRick wrote:"But if your nozzle is to close to the bed. The raft might be ok. But higher up you get no space between the already printed plastic and the nozzle."

Not correct. Layers in the raft after the first will absorb any height issues with the first layer.

"I could be wrong,"
Yep.

But I have had problems with the print sticking to much or to little to the raft because of the distance from the nozzle to the bed.
This wouldn't be true if your statement is correct.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Has your Raft Gap from Model changed unknowingly?

I have had the same exact issue at times, but a change in later height fixed it for me. Depends on the filament and how big the print is for me.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Candman91

Postby Candman91 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:56 pm

Also may want to measure your filament thickness. I've had times where the spool says 1.75mm, however, upon measuring with calipers at various sections of the spool, I was getting closer to 1.68-1.70mm. So, I went into my printer/slicer settings and adjusted that value to match the true thickness, and that cleaned up my prints fairly well.

TBlanton

Postby TBlanton » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:14 pm

I adjusted the Z-origin and have been having better luck. It does appear the nozzle was too close to the print bed. I can see that my bed isn't perfectly leveled, but it hasn't appeared to have affected my last couple of prints so I'm just going to let it ride for now.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Return to “General”