Cleaning burnt material off of hot ends

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
TBlanton

Cleaning burnt material off of hot ends

Postby TBlanton » Thu May 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Hello raisers,

I left a 24-hour print running overnight in my office on my N2 Plus and came in this morning to a pretty catastrophic failure. I left about 3 hours in and everything seemed to be going smoothly. Just for reference, this was my first time printing with Hatchbox ABS (have had great success with dozens of prints in various PLA's and NylonX) and I had the hot end set to 240, heat bed at 90.

Anyways, at some point during the chaos, strands of stray filament that got caught around both extruder fans causing them to stop working, and the right hot end became a charred mess of what I assume is severely burned plastic. I disassembled both hot ends (pic attached) and am hoping that someone will have a good method for clearing away the old melted plastic that has caked over each of them after several months of printing and last night's implosion. I'm still relatively new to 3D printing and any tips on preventative maintenance for this type of situation moving forward would also be appreciated.

Thanks all
Attachments
IMG_20180510_135854.jpg

Jetguy

Re: Cleaning burnt material off of hot ends

Postby Jetguy » Fri May 11, 2018 2:55 am

Acetone is a solvent to ABS. It has a much lesser effect on other materials, but ABS it is an excellent solvent. As such, use a metal can or glass jar to soak them overnight or maybe even 24 hours in. While it may not remove all of it, if that is mostly ABS, it certainly is a best start.

As always, acetone and fumes are flammable so no open flames or sparks.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri May 11, 2018 2:57 am

As to the burnt aspect of this, sadly, I really, really really hope you have been paying attention to posts about the thermal protector.
That looks more like the results of overheating, and unless you have a thermal protector, seriously folks, just do it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6580

TBlanton

Postby TBlanton » Fri May 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks, Jetguy. I just received my thermal protector a week or 2 ago and hadn't gotten around to installing it yet. Do I take it by the tone of your message that this hot end is toast?

3D MAKE

Postby 3D MAKE » Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am

I use ultrasonic cleaning machine, perfect cleaning

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 am

TBlanton wrote:Thanks, Jetguy. I just received my thermal protector a week or 2 ago and hadn't gotten around to installing it yet. Do I take it by the tone of your message that this hot end is toast?

i would not call it toast. I have seen hotends get pretty badly covered like that in the local Makerspace where we have a lot of users running the machine and higher number of print failures where people may not have been experienced and watching the machine, let alone caring for it properly and preventing such a mess.

At the same time, yes, I had a situation where the same users, maybe not trained well, tried to clear jams and other things and literally destroyed or 4 sets of V2 hotends in recent memory. The reason is, the M4 threads to the throat tube are the weakest point. As such, if a block has been overheated, that's the one place likely to fail the first time you touch it or try to reassemble and tighten the nozzle against the throat tube, if the threads are weak from heat damage and multiple take apart and assembly by folks, then the threads fail, and the nozzle can push the tube right out the threads. When that happens, it's game over for that heater block. Since nobody else makes a 3rd party matching heaterblock, then you have to go to tech support just to order one, and since other bad things happened, each time, I was buying $80 hotend like they were candy. And yes, at least one of those failures, the user was testing and unplugged the ribbon cable while heating up, the printer literally smoked the hotend, got so hot, it burnt up the fan brackets even with the fan blowing.

Return to “General”