Touch Screen Lock Ups?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Docmani

Touch Screen Lock Ups?

Postby Docmani » Tue May 08, 2018 12:28 pm

I was curious if there were any reported touch screen lock ups with the new firmware.

I went down to my printer this morning and found the touch screen locked up and a large print half finished and unrecoverable. :(

I've had my printer going quite a bit this past month. I've had it do this to me about three times over the past month, so its not happening on every print.

This last print was started after the machine had been off for a day, so I had a freshly booted unit. No other visible symptoms.

I can submit a ticket later (I don't have the S/N with me at the moment), but I was curious if there was a list of things to try?

Jetguy

Re: Touch Screen Lock Ups?

Postby Jetguy » Tue May 08, 2018 1:01 pm

I have to be honest with you, did you do the resistor mod or install a thermal protector board?
If not, I'm not saying the Raisepack is perfect, or that there is not some other failure, but over and over I have said, there are KNOWN issues with the ribbon cable system and until you put in a protector, some of you are wasting your time trying to troubleshoot these random errors.
That's just an opinion, but i'm trying to help you and ensure safe and reliable prints.

Docmani

Postby Docmani » Wed May 09, 2018 1:29 am

I'm waiting for my Thermal Protector board to arrive, but thank you for the suggestions. :)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 am

Please advise whether the screen is controllable after print stops, is it the full screen no response or some specified areas no response to touch, when you submit the support ticket with serial number.

Docmani

Postby Docmani » Wed May 16, 2018 1:50 am

I'm a bit disappointed in the answers I'm hearing.

I contacted Profound3D support (since Raise3D support told me to contact the company I bought my printer from) and we tried a few things, but nothing worked. Apparently the support guy at Profound3D was told by is contact at Raise3D (before we tried other options) that the problem was likely in the touch screen unit and it would need to be replaced.

Then I was given a $400+ price tag for replacing the touch screen unit for a printer that is a home printer and not pushed very hard. I'm still on my first heating element and nozzle. Heck I have not had to even remove the original nozzle to clean it. I've been very easy on this printer.

So I called Raise3D customer support and was told that there was only a 3 month warranty on the electronics. I asked to talk to that person's supervisor, but they were in a meeting. They are supposed to call me back and I'm still waiting.

Now, if we were talking about a consumable or a part that was subject to wear (mechanical parts, stepper motor drivers, any piece of the hot end or extruder), I'd understand. The printer is going to suffer normal wear and tear.

The Touch screen electronics shouldn't fall into this category. The printer is a little over a year old. If the control unit cannot survive light use over one year without going bad, thats a big issue, IMO. I personally can't afford $400+ a year just to replace the electronics in this printer. Either this is a common problem (which is unacceptable) or I am a very unlucky person who got stuck with a bad unit that made it past QA (also unacceptable).

I did not break this. I did not do something to this unit to cause it to fail. If your electronics can't stand up to 3+ months of normal use, you guys shouldn't even put this product out there.

I'm waiting for a response and I really hope Raise3D can offer me a better solution then they already have.

Korni

Postby Korni » Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 am

:-(
Poor support.
Pro2+ Image

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Docmani wrote:I was curious if there were any reported touch screen lock ups with the new firmware.

Are you talking about the new Pro2 or the N2/N2+?

Docmani

Postby Docmani » Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 pm

newraiseuser wrote:
Docmani wrote:I was curious if there were any reported touch screen lock ups with the new firmware.

Are you talking about the new Pro2 or the N2/N2+?

This is an N2+

Docmani

Postby Docmani » Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Just got off the phone with a wonderful gentleman who accused me to prove I didn't break the screen.

I told him if this was the service that Raise3D provides then I was going to tell three people (two friends and my employeer) who were considering buying Raise3D machines not to purchase them because their hardware appears unreliable and Raise3D does not stand by it.

This guy accused me of 'threatening' him and told me he was ending the conversation.

So much for Raise3D. You guys do a great job of treating your customer base with respect.

Return to “General”