no start after thermal protector installation necessary

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Allan Sche Sar

no start after thermal protector installation necessary

Postby Allan Sche Sar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:58 pm

He there,

I have a problem after installation from my thermal protector. I installed the part like my german installation guide from OKM. In the guide the installation looks like plug and play and no other changes necessary.
After the installation I see this screen and can't start my N1 correctly.

Failure Raise3D N1 with thermal protector.jpg

Can everyone help me please?

Jetguy

Re: no start after thermal protector installation necessary

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:47 pm

Well, here is the problem.
#1 I don't have the official shipping version of the safety board so I cannot 100% vouch for design.
#2 What that error indicates is one of 2 things. First off, if the safety board is plugged into the mainboard, the expected error with a ribbon cable unplugged between the safety board and extruder breakout is a maxtemp error, not a min temp error. The other factor is that an open circuit thermocouple at the extruder head breakout (not the ribbon cable, but the actual thermocouple temp sensor to the screw terminals at the breakout) does throw a mintemp error.
So that leaves a couple possible answers:
#1 The safety board is NOT properly plugged into the mainboard. This would cause a mintemp because it's the same as the power on test sequence of not having the ribbon cable from the extruder head breakout plugged in, without the safety board. In other words, the mainboard starts up at 0 volts discharged state, and since nothing is properly bring in voltage to represent a temp, the mainboard throws a mintemp error.
#2 The thermocouple is not making connection to the extruder head breakout, and so the AD597 thermocouple amp really is sending a mintemp error and that is being read by the mainboard.

Again, if the safety board is properly plugged into the mainboard, the expected error is a maxtemp error, not a mintemp error. The only time you will get a mintemp error is a true thermocouple to extruder breakout fault. Otherwise, any cable fault in the future will be a maxtemp error.

So just like the other thread, show us a picture of how you installed the safety board and the connector to the mainboard.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:30 pm

to give you a testing sequence.
step1, unplug the ribbon cable to the breakout board (the long original ribbon cable leading to the the extruder head breakout). In other words, the new safety board, plugged into the mainboard but the cable to the extruder not plugged in.
This result should be a maxtemp error. If not or you get a mintemp error, either you plugged it in wrong or the board is defective.

#2 if you passed that test meaning you did in fact properly get a maxtemp error, not a mintemp error, then the next concern is the system is reporting a failure of the thermocouple itself. I'm not saying the thermocouple failed and needs replaced, I mean simply the screw terminal wire connection at the breakout could be open circuit. So here, we can plug in ribbon cable directly into the mainboard, without the thermal protector, and if you still get a mintemp, but get a mextemp when the protector is in the circuit, then you likely have a thermcouple fault at the extruder. Check the smaller set of screw terminals at the breakout and validate correct orientation (thermocuples are polarity sensitive).

Allan Sche Sar

Postby Allan Sche Sar » Tue May 01, 2018 8:59 am

Okay that is crazy. I make today two times this installation process. Number 1 get the same result. Number 2 get an success.
I don't understand, but it runs.

In my opinion every times the connector are correct installed.

RiserDog

Postby RiserDog » Tue May 01, 2018 3:08 pm

I just installed my thermal protector yesterday and the first time I got that error. I had the thermal protector plug that goes into the mother board "backwards". The online tutorial threw me off because there is no black plastic frame around the prongs on my motherboard to help me to align it. There is a black plastic frame around the prongs on the online tutorial.

Return to “General”