Issue Printing Parts With Overhang and Support

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
xkrste

Issue Printing Parts With Overhang and Support

Postby xkrste » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm

We've had the N2 for couple of weeks and have tried printing many parts using the machine. We're really happy with the qualities of most of the prints. However, we seem to have troubles printing parts with overhang and support.

This white part is printed with PLA
4.jpg

I've tried to use dense layers, but the quality of the surface doesn't seem to improve
3.jpg

Even the sidewall quality is much worse than other simple parts
5.jpg

And the handle is not printed symmetrical

The red part is printed in NinjaFlex
1.jpg

2.jpg

You can see that the quality of one side is acceptable, but the other side is a total mess.

Any idea on how I may improve the quality of the parts? Or any settings that I might have done wrong?

Thank you very much.

detroitus

Re: Issue Printing Parts With Overhang and Support

Postby detroitus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:49 pm

You have the dual nozzle version of the N2, yes? I am going to take a guess that the side of your prints that is finishing with acceptable quality is the side that the cooling duct is on for the nozzle that you are printing with. This looks very much like your print is not getting adequate cooling. You might try some of the fan duct modifications shown here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8 to improve this.

The one that seemed to work best for me was this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2089681

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Have you tried lowering outer shell printing speed? Also, try using low temp PLA (like Hatchbox) when you need clean angled overhangs or bridges. This way you can use the lowest temp (like 180 to 190) to prevent as much deformity when the filament is laid down. It also depends on your layer height (thinner layers mean more contact between the next and previous layers for angled overhangs).

But if only certain sides are printing bad, then like what dtroitus said, it could be a directional cooling issue. Likewise this can be mitigated by printing at the lowest possible temp (only draw back is that it may be less durable). Also try printing with the top lid off.

xkrste

Postby xkrste » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:12 pm

detroitus wrote:You have the dual nozzle version of the N2, yes? I am going to take a guess that the side of your prints that is finishing with acceptable quality is the side that the cooling duct is on for the nozzle that you are printing with. This looks very much like your print is not getting adequate cooling. You might try some of the fan duct modifications shown here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8 to improve this.

The one that seemed to work best for me was this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2089681

I printed the NinjaFlex part with both fan caps on. You think that might be the cause of not getting enough cooling?
But I have read in another post that the printed TPU with both fan caps on

xkrste

Postby xkrste » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:16 pm

DS2017 wrote:Have you tried lowering outer shell printing speed? Also, try using low temp PLA (like Hatchbox) when you need clean angled overhangs or bridges. This way you can use the lowest temp (like 180 to 190) to prevent as much deformity when the filament is laid down. It also depends on your layer height (thinner layers mean more contact between the next and previous layers for angled overhangs).

But if only certain sides are printing bad, then like what dtroitus said, it could be a directional cooling issue. Likewise this can be mitigated by printing at the lowest possible temp (only draw back is that it may be less durable). Also try printing with the top lid off.

Thanks. I'll try printing with the top lid off next for NinjaFlex

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 pm

xkrste wrote:
detroitus wrote:You have the dual nozzle version of the N2, yes? I am going to take a guess that the side of your prints that is finishing with acceptable quality is the side that the cooling duct is on for the nozzle that you are printing with. This looks very much like your print is not getting adequate cooling. You might try some of the fan duct modifications shown here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8 to improve this.

I printed the NinjaFlex part with both fan caps on. You think that might be the cause of not getting enough cooling?
But I have read in another post that the printed TPU with both fan caps on

According to the Ninjatek website, it is recommended to use cooling fans while printing with Ninjaflex, so I would definitely recommend trying it again with the caps off.

Return to “General”