Filament Run-out Sensor Shipping Delay

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Vicky@Raise3D

Filament Run-out Sensor Shipping Delay

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:05 am

Dear All,

We regret to inform that the first batch of Filament Run-Out Sensors was found defective.

We are doing our best efforts to correct the situation with our supplier, but we are afraid it may take up to two additional weeks to sort everything out.

For those who had already received their unit, please just discard it. You will receive a replacement.

As a token of compensation for all the delay, we will also include a complimentary spool of PLA to the customers who have already ordered Filament Run-out Sensor.

The installation instruction will be made available when the new Filament Run-out Sensors are shipped.

Thank you for your understanding.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Filament Run-out Sensor Shipping Delay

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:09 am

DragonXtreme wrote:Well that sucks. I was told that the over run protection would be shipped with my order for the run-out sensor, is this still the case as I am still showing unfulfilled on my ship status from March 8th?

Please shoot a mail to support@raise3d.com with your order number. I will help check.

saswanso

Postby saswanso » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:52 am

I recieved both items today, it is just the run-out sensor that is defective and not the overrun protection, correct? Also, are there instructions for the overrun protection installation? Thank You for the update.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 am

saswanso wrote:I recieved both items today, it is just the run-out sensor that is defective and not the overrun protection, correct? Also, are there instructions for the overrun protection installation? Thank You for the update.

Attached the instruction of thermal protector for you.
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/thermal-p ... structions

The defective part is only the Filament Run-out Sensor, you can install thermal protector first. We will resend new Filament Run-out Sensor package to you later.

cave

Postby cave » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Might I suggest that you do a mail-merge and send an email to all customers that have (or will be) receiving the defective unit telling us not to install it?

I just happened to stumble on this forum thread while searching for installation instructions ('cause they weren't in the box). If you have already sent an appropriate email and I missed in, my apologies.

-Eric

Fiesel

Postby Fiesel » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:10 am

Is there any info for european customers like "europeans will be served 2 weeks later because stuff has to be shipped to europe first" or something?
Just asking because I've not received both thermal protector and Filament Run-out Sensor yet...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:44 am

Fiesel wrote:Is there any info for european customers like "europeans will be served 2 weeks later because stuff has to be shipped to europe first" or something?
Just asking because I've not received both thermal protector and Filament Run-out Sensor yet...

The delay is not only for US, but global. Packages to Europe will be arranged together to EU warehouse first, then separately arrange to local sales partners and end customers.

AJM

Postby AJM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Please confirm that it is run-out sensor that is defective and not the thermal protector.
This is because the instruction for the thermal protector which you linked seems to be wrong. Figure 3 shows how to orient the connectors, yet the second part of the same figure shows the male connector reversed and pin 1 is no longer matched. However, the picture clearly shows that the connector keys match. Since it is not possible to insert incorrectly with mismatched connector keys, I am confused if the connectors were installed wrong or the figure is wrong. ???

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm

I ordered the run-out sensor, and expected to receive it with the runaway heater fix.
I'm wondering if I'll ever get the heat-sensor fix?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:33 am

cave wrote:Might I suggest that you do a mail-merge and send an email to all customers that have (or will be) receiving the defective unit telling us not to install it?

I just happened to stumble on this forum thread while searching for installation instructions ('cause they weren't in the box). If you have already sent an appropriate email and I missed in, my apologies.

-Eric

We do appreciate your suggestion. Actually we are planning to do this as well. But since the list is really long and the issue happened in a sudden, so we haven't fully complete the mail yet. Working hard on it currently.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:42 am

AJM wrote:Please confirm that it is run-out sensor that is defective and not the thermal protector.
This is because the instruction for the thermal protector which you linked seems to be wrong. Figure 3 shows how to orient the connectors, yet the second part of the same figure shows the male connector reversed and pin 1 is no longer matched. However, the picture clearly shows that the connector keys match. Since it is not possible to insert incorrectly with mismatched connector keys, I am confused if the connectors were installed wrong or the figure is wrong. ???

Only the Filament Fun-out Sensor has defect.

For the wrong part you mentioned above, do you mean the connector's oriental in the following two pictures doesn't match? The male connector?
1.png

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:43 am

EldRick wrote:I ordered the run-out sensor, and expected to receive it with the runaway heater fix.

The thermal protector should be shipped together with Filament Run-out Sensor.
If you have any urgent needs for protector, please shoot a mail to support@raise3d.com.

AJM

Postby AJM » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 am

Vicky, look at the picture you sent, then look at this part of the same figure 3.
4606ff77-50d3-437b-9300-3e6f0f38a1f6.png

Your picture shows which orientation is correct, and the connector key lines-up. The slot on the male connector is on the top and the female connector on the left also has the key on the top, so they can mate properly.

But the 4 picture progression after that shows that the right side connector now shows the red marker on the wrong side.
The connector has not been turned up-side-down because the connector notch is still on the top.
So the upper part of figure 3 is opposite of the bottom part of figure 3.

It is not necessarily incorrect to have cables reversed if the connections are also reversed within the circuit board that this connector is mounted on, but that does not appear to be the case here. One of the figure is clearly wrong.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:26 am

AJM wrote:Vicky, look at the picture you sent, then look at this part of the same figure 3.
4606ff77-50d3-437b-9300-3e6f0f38a1f6.png

Your picture shows which orientation is correct, and the connector key lines-up. The slot on the male connector is on the top and the female connector on the left also has the key on the top, so they can mate properly.

But the 4 picture progression after that shows that the right side connector now shows the red marker on the wrong side.
The connector has not been turned up-side-down because the connector notch is still on the top.
So the upper part of figure 3 is opposite of the bottom part of figure 3.

It is not necessarily incorrect to have cables reversed if the connections are also reversed within the circuit board that this connector is mounted on, but that does not appear to be the case here. One of the figure is clearly wrong.

Got your point. Found the red lines on both cables are not aligned in same direction in all the pictures. Will double confirm and back to you.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
EldRick wrote:I ordered the run-out sensor, and expected to receive it with the runaway heater fix.

If you have any urgent needs for protector, please shoot a mail to support@raise3d.com.

If the protector is known to be important to prevent fires, you should darn well send them out separately. If a machine smokes out and starts a fire while waiting for shipment of something else unrelated, you would be legally liable for delaying the shipment of the fix.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 am

EldRick wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

If the protector is known to be important to prevent fires, you should darn well send them out separately. If a machine smokes out and starts a fire while waiting for shipment of something else unrelated, you would be legally liable for delaying the shipment of the fix.

We do appreciate your suggestion. You are right that safety always goes first.
Actually we are hurrying the shipping time of the final package. Will try to fix everything in two weeks.

danmartinez78

Postby danmartinez78 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Will this effect shipments of Pro2 and Pro2+?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:38 am

danmartinez78 wrote:Will this effect shipments of Pro2 and Pro2+?

Yes, Filaments Run-out Sensor is a default option installed on Pro2 series' printer.

mark tyr3d

Postby mark tyr3d » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi all

Just installed the thermal protector now tells me on boot up no extruder. when I disconnect it and just plug the ribbon in the printer is fine. Is this error down to the ribbon maybe s bad connection.

Thanks

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Need a little more detail on the error message.
With the device installed properly, a failure of the connection in any way to ribbon cable and ultimately the extruder breakout should result in a maxtemp error specifically. That's the entire point of adding the board, it is expecting and depending on a real actual temperature reading sent over the ribbon cable. When that signal is lost, then the mainboard instantly sees maximum temp (roughly 500C =5V signal).

Pictures of your install would be good too to see if we can catch an obvious error.

Return to “General”