Looking for a printer, should we buy a new Pro2, new N2 or a used N2?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Alex M.

Looking for a printer, should we buy a new Pro2, new N2 or a used N2?

Postby Alex M. » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Hello All,

I'm new here and trying to gather as much information as possible for an upcoming 3D printer purchase. I really like the Pro2 series however became a bit concerned with the new motion controller since it will be closed source firmware. From my research there have been several community provided improvements to the N2 series than probably will not be possible (if needed) on the Pro2 series due to the closed source firmware. For example, auto leveling add-on, extruder upgrades, etc.

Now I am wondering if I would be better off getting the N2 series and just making the needed upgrades. However as I understand, doing the upgrades will void the warranty so I wonder if I might just be better off with a used N2.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts and options. Thanks in advance!

Timber Haint

Re: Looking for a printer, should we buy a new Pro2, new N2 or a used N2?

Postby Timber Haint » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 pm

It really all depends on WHAT you plan to use the machine for. Are you a prototyping shop? Are you an enthusiast? Do you need to print with any filament or will PLA work? A lot of questions to better help us.

The closed firmware hasn't been an issue for us. Do you really intend on making any changes? I understand the "Well, if we want to XYZ we need to ....", that really never comes to fruition.

I bought and ran the stock N2 Plus for several months with no problems. I was very happy with it. The only upgrade I've done was the Bondtech extruder, and I didn't have any reason to do it except that I was moving to a second extruder and was only SLIGHTLY concerned about the extra weight of the stock "dually". IN MY OPINION, a lot of the issues people have with it are improper settings, non-quality filament, or even print orientation.

I've PM'd you.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Timber Haint wrote:It really all depends on WHAT you plan to use the machine for. Are you a prototyping shop? Are you an enthusiast? Do you need to print with any filament or will PLA work? A lot of questions to better help us.

The closed firmware hasn't been an issue for us. Do you really intend on making any changes? I understand the "Well, if we want to XYZ we need to ....", that really never comes to fruition.

I bought and ran the stock N2 Plus for several months with no problems. I was very happy with it. The only upgrade I've done was the Bondtech extruder, and I didn't have any reason to do it except that I was moving to a second extruder and was only SLIGHTLY concerned about the extra weight of the stock "dually". IN MY OPINION, a lot of the issues people have with it are improper settings, non-quality filament, or even print orientation.

I've PM'd you.

Hello,

I have a N2 Plus since june 2016. I recently bought the Bondtech extruder. I second what Timber Haint says.
I know that the Pro2 cost much more money than the N2, but if I was a new buyer, I would buy this new machine.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I work for a small metabolic instrument company and we are looking for a printer that will mainly be used to help us prototype parts which will eventually be extruded or cast. We are trying to reduce development cost by cutting down on the revisions of custom fixtures. The printer will also be used to make custom tooling to assist with manufacturing, but I'm sure other uses will come as we get more comfortable with it. We primarily expect to use PLA, ABS, PETG and Nylon.

We started with a Monoprice Maker Ultimate which had a extruder heater failure within the first 2 1/2 days of use. At that point we realized it was just a clone of a clone, so we looked into printers a bit more and got recommendation from our prototype vendors. The recommended printers (in no specific order) were: Raise3D, Lulzbot, Zortrax and Ultimaker. Seems that the Ultimaker was what our Monoprice printer was cloned from. It looked good but the price seemed high. The Lulzbot didn't seem to have a way to enclose it so we worried about ABS prints with it. We were a bit concerned with the closed environment with the Zortrax, from the Software to the filaments so we thought we wanted something a bit more open. That's how we got to the Raise3D. It's an impressive looking printer which has great specs at a good price. We love the community and the support it provides because the documentation from Raise3D seems to be lacking compared to Ultimaker or Zortrax.

The one item we see adding to our printer would be auto-leveling via a BLTouch, unless significant improvements have been made to the bed / bed leveling in the Pro2 series. Unfortunately, due to the fact that firmware changes need to be done for auto leveling, we can't get a Pro2 and add auto-leveling later with the Pro2's closed source firmware. This is our biggest concern with the Pro2 series due to Raise3D's lack of documentation on the leveling (or anything for that matter) with their printers.

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Alex M. wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I work for a small metabolic instrument company and we are looking for a printer that will mainly be used to help us prototype parts which will eventually be extruded or cast. We are trying to reduce development cost by cutting down on the revisions of custom fixtures. The printer will also be used to make custom tooling to assist with manufacturing, but I'm sure other uses will come as we get more comfortable with it. We primarily expect to use PLA, ABS, PETG and Nylon.

We started with a Monoprice Maker Ultimate which had a extruder heater failure within the first 2 1/2 days of use. At that point we realized it was just a clone of a clone, so we looked into printers a bit more and got recommendation from our prototype vendors. The recommended printers (in no specific order) were: Raise3D, Lulzbot, Zortrax and Ultimaker. Seems that the Ultimaker was what our Monoprice printer was cloned from. It looked good but the price seemed high. The Lulzbot didn't seem to have a way to enclose it so we worried about ABS prints with it. We were a bit concerned with the closed environment with the Zortrax, from the Software to the filaments so we thought we wanted something a bit more open. That's how we got to the Raise3D. It's an impressive looking printer which has great specs at a good price. We love the community and the support it provides because the documentation from Raise3D seems to be lacking compared to Ultimaker or Zortrax.

The one item we see adding to our printer would be auto-leveling via a BLTouch, unless significant improvements have been made to the bed / bed leveling in the Pro2 series. Unfortunately, due to the fact that firmware changes need to be done for auto leveling, we can't get a Pro2 and add auto-leveling later with the Pro2's closed source firmware. This is our biggest concern with the Pro2 series due to Raise3D's lack of documentation on the leveling (or anything for that matter) with their printers.

Leveling seems to be a hit or miss with the N2s here in these forums.

We're an architecture firm that does a lot of concept model prototyping with our N2+.
Been printing with PLA almost 24/7 since November on stock everything.
I have only half turned one screw so far in terms of bed leveling (one corner was a hair off).
Out of the box it was 99% level. Print adhesion, first layer, and bed level has been perfect.
We use the machine very cautiously, and we don't do too many exotic material stuff.
And the print frame seems very sturdy, and so I can only imagine the bed to un-level if we really shove things around.
Or if the printer gets roughly handled during shipment.

However there are many posts on these forums of people complaining about not leveled beds.
Whether its user error or factory error, I'm not sure.

Check out the user gallery forum to see what people are printing and at what quality. Maybe that'll help you decide if Raise3d is good for you or not.

Francisco munoz

Postby Francisco munoz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 pm

n2 plus dual extruder with hardened nozzles its $15 each nozzle but that's if your using nylon material other than that stock will be perfect for your needs Raise3d is in its own class compared to others no need to try any other printer and print size volume is larger so not only open material but will help expand your capabilities.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Just wanted to come back and say thank you to all who replied and all the others on this forum whom make it such a great place!

Today we place an order for a N2 Plus Single extruder which should be here early next week. We went back and forth on what would be best for us and finally decided on the N2 series over the Pro2 due to the knowledge, and information posted about them in this forum. We think the Pro2 will be a great printer too but there were just too many unknowns for us to take the leap, and by going with the N2 series we're able to get a Plus size printer within our budget.

Timber Haint

Postby Timber Haint » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:12 am

Good choice. I think you’ll be happy with it!

Return to “General”