HIPS VS Support Material

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Casale8

HIPS VS Support Material

Postby Casale8 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 pm

HIPS vs model Support Material?

Please feel free to add your experiences and comments.

I'm looking into trying out the HIPS on various prints, and wanted to get feedback from users with whom have experiences.

Thank in advance folks

Update for clarification:
This is for using HIPS as support material with ABS.
Last edited by Casale8 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Jetguy

Re: HIPS VS Support Material

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Do you mean use HIPS as support material with a different material (ABS for example) since HIPS is soluble in D-limonene where ABS is not affected. Or, you mean print in HIPS, and then use other support material?

Here's your problem:
HIPS is very near in properties to ABS regarding required extrusion temp and bed temp, along with chamber temp all in effort to reduce shrinking and warping. So say you use PVA or PLA and HIPS, this is generally considered a mismatch of high and low temp materials. A doesn't stick to B well, and warping and dozens of other bad things happen.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:11 pm

[quote="Jetguy"]Do you mean use HIPS as support material with a different material (ABS for example) since HIPS is soluble in D-limonene where ABS is not affected. Or, you mean print in HIPS, and then use other support material?

Updated the post, it's about HIPS with ABS.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Good read and highlight some of what I said https://rigid.ink/blogs/news/how-to-3d- ... t-material
When it comes to comparing HIPS vs PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) as soluble support materials, it quickly becomes apparent that the two are apples and oranges. The lower printing temperature of PVA works means that it will work much better with a material like PLA while, as we’ve discussed, HIPS dissolvable filament and ABS are more suited to each other.

When it comes to printing with HIPS, there are a few things to keep in mind in order to get the best results possible. First, HIPS prints best at a temperature between 230C and 240C. Don’t be afraid to play around with temperatures in this range to see what works best for you.

Next, your printing bed should be set to a temperature of anywhere from 90C up to 115C. Again, experiment with temperatures in this range to find the sweet spot that allows HIPS to properly adhere without curling or warping.

Being dead honest, I have not heard of using a different filament to print in HIPS, and this other material as support. I do understand why HIPS could be a desired print material and thus why you would want to do that, just until recently, I was not aware of other high temp materials that made sense. I think that has changed with recent filament types. Example here https://airwolf3d.com/shop/water-solubl ... -3d-print/
HydroFill Water-Soluble Support is the only support material that is effective for large ABS, PLA, and nylon parts and dissolves easily in plain room-temperature water.
So even though it doesn't say HIPS, it says ABS, and ABS and HIPS are very similar in print settings, thus in my mind, this may be the combination to try.

Also, a good guide on what filaments pair well together https://airwolf3d.com/3d-printing-tips/ ... -printing/

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks Jetguy.
-SCC

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Sorry, I'm trying to be helpful. years ago, I bought HIPS with the intent of testing ABS + HIPS and removing HIPS with D-limonene. What I can say is yes, D limonene works on HIPS to basically melt it away. I just simply stopped printing in ABS for fumes and also the typical warpage and other issues years ago, the extra power consumption and heat, cooking your machine all closed up, I just flat out no longer do it. So, the best I could do is link you the exact articles i would start from if nobody else gives you real world answers.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Really appreciate your help, Thank you.
-SCC

Return to “General”