Your favorite ABS

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
zemlin

Re: Your favorite ABS

Postby zemlin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:07 pm

3DWP wrote:OK, which brand do you use?

I have used Hatchbox and eSun. eSun black gets brittle if printed too hot.
I prefer Hatchbox, but they have serious supply issues so I'm giving up on them.

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:41 pm

zemlin wrote:

I prefer Hatchbox, but they have serious supply issues so I'm giving up on them.

What temperatures do you use for both?. I really like Hatchbox PLA, maybe it is worth giving a try to its ABS

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:53 pm

if your PETG is brittle after printing you need to dry it. PETG is Hygroscopic (absorbs water out of the air).

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Mecha_Monster wrote:
zemlin wrote:

What temperatures do you use for both?. I really like Hatchbox PLA, maybe it is worth giving a try to its ABS

The comment was about PETG, I do like the Hatchbox ABS - but they only have it in stock about half the time I need it. That's what initiated this thread. I'll be switching over the eSun ABS+ based on my recent tests.

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:11 pm

mark_3d wrote:
Billucas wrote:
zemlin wrote:Lots of good info here. Thanks to all, and keep it coming. I'll have a spool of the eSun ABS+ tomorrow and will run it through the initiation process to see what I get.

It seems Primaselect is also a no-go for the US. The Apollo X ASA is available on Amazon.

Here other pictures of Apollo X ASA and eSun ABS+. Printed with nozzle at 240°C

Did you do postproduction? which is printed with asa and which with abs?

The parts showned are not postproducted. The Black Parts are in ASA and the Grey are in ABS+
Luc

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:02 am

Rogman wrote:if your PETG is brittle after printing you need to dry it. PETG is Hygroscopic (absorbs water out of the air).

That counters what I've heard about PETG.
From the eSun web site: "hydrophobic -- does not absorb water"
The Hatchbox description on Amazon also says hydrophobic.
I can also find sites that say it is hygroscopic. I have many short-spools on a shelf in my garage and have never had any issue running material that's been out for a long time. My other filaments I keep in bags with dry desiccant.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:55 am

I got a response from Formfutura, they mentioned they have a reseller in the USA (http://www.designbox3d.com) and are talking to more.

I could not find Premium ABS on their website now but they do offer TitanX which is the high performance ABS. I imagine they can also order and offer the other products.
Last edited by 3DWP on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:26 am

3DWP wrote:I got a response from Formfutura, they mentioned they have a reseller in the USA (http://www.designbox3d.com) and are talking to more.

I appreciate your looking into this. Thank you.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:41 am

No problem! They also mentioned for example 5 to 10 rolls shipping is about 5 dollars/roll. I would also hesitate to order then. I don't think I ever ordered from the USA, I imagine shipping this way is also too expensive.

Meebert

Postby Meebert » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:20 pm

3DWP wrote:
zemlin wrote:
3DWP wrote:One filament that might achieve this is CoPa by Polymaker, I hear it is very strong and has no warp. Not an ABS though, it's a nylon.

My PETG parts break without following layer lines.

I think PETG breaks fairly easily it's so brittle, maybe that's why it doesn't follow layer lines.. I have tried it a few times but support removal is just a hazard with pieces/shards breaking off and shooting across the room.

I had a similar issue with PETG, commonly it isn't supposed to be brittle but my more recent prints shattered like yours did. I think the settings aren't optimal because the other PETG parts I've printed weren't this brittle.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Meebert wrote:
3DWP wrote:
zemlin wrote:
My PETG parts break without following layer lines.

I think PETG breaks fairly easily it's so brittle, maybe that's why it doesn't follow layer lines.. I have tried it a few times but support removal is just a hazard with pieces/shards breaking off and shooting across the room.

I had a similar issue with PETG, commonly it isn't supposed to be brittle but my more recent prints shattered like yours did. I think the settings aren't optimal because the other PETG parts I've printed weren't this brittle.

I've had similar experience with PETG support, but otherwise, if PETG is breaking or shattering on you, it's probably "wet" and needs to be dried. I recently got a PrintDry and the difference between my PETG before and after is really quite impressive. PETG Parts printed before make creaking/cracking sounds and have visible layers. Parts printed after, feeding out of the dryer don't. I can whack them on the edge of the table, put them in a vise and pull, nothing.
It sounds like a another cranky grump or an attempt to sell you yet another widget, but seriously, guys, figure out a way to dry your filament.

Return to “General”