Your favorite ABS

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
zemlin

Your favorite ABS

Postby zemlin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:49 pm

I print/assemble a large assembly on contract. I've been using primarily Hatchbox PETG and ABS (black) for the parts. I get great results from both materials, but about half the time i go to order, it is out of stock. I'm looking for another supplier that actually keeps material in stock.

I do fine with eSun PETG. It strings a little more than the Hatchbox, but other than that it's fine.

With eSun ABS I'm have a lot more warping and difficulty keeping parts on the bed. I print on PEI, currently at 105C and adding ABS juice for the eSun and trying a brim too. I prefer ABS over PETG for this part because it has a sliding interface to the PETG, and PETG on PETG tends to stick. I also prefer the higher rigidity of ABS for this part. Still trying to get the eSun ABS dialed in, but I'm not convinced I'll get it printing as well as the Hatchbox. I tried eSun's ABS+ years ago, and never got decent layer strength from it. Parts snapped way to easily.

If you are one who prints large, sturdy parts from ABS, what is your preferred brand of material?

3DWP

Re: Your favorite ABS

Postby 3DWP » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:32 am

I am very happy with Formfutura, I mainly use their Premium ABS: https://www.formfutura.com/shop/categor ... um-abs-180

But they have a great catalogue of various materials and they regularly release new filaments. They have various ABS types and also ASA for instance (ABS properties but UV resistent).

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:14 pm

3DWP wrote:I am very happy with Formfutura, I mainly use their Premium ABS: https://www.formfutura.com/shop/categor ... um-abs-180

But they have a great catalogue of various materials and they regularly release new filaments. They have various ABS types and also ASA for instance (ABS properties but UV resistent).

Availability in the US seems very limited. Only found the premium at a UK store that will ship to the US. Pricey compared to what I've been using too (4x).

Ordered a spool of eSun ABS+. I've learned a lot about dialing in filaments since I tried it last time, although a lot of the Amazon reviews voice the same complaint I had - poor layer bonding.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:21 pm

zemlin wrote:
3DWP wrote:I am very happy with Formfutura, I mainly use their Premium ABS: https://www.formfutura.com/shop/categor ... um-abs-180

Availability in the US seems very limited. Only found the premium at a UK store that will ship to the US. Pricey compared to what I've been using too (4x).

I recently saw a post of them somewhere they improved their USA shipping and would offer better prices, don't kno where. I can send them a mail to ask if this is still the case.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:43 pm

I've had very consistent success with Ultimachine: https://ultimachine.com/pages/print-materials

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:51 pm

I really like IC3D ABS, natural (beige). Overall, among all the types (pla, pc, abs), colors and brands, this is the one which have gave me the best surface finish results and supports removal. But yeah, still kind of tricky to get proper buildplate adhesion.

Noren

Postby Noren » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Primaselect ABS+ from 3D-prima has been very stable and nice for me.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Esun ABS+, Appollo X industrial ASA.

I have no warping and good results with larges prints. Combined with a "LokBuild" or "Geckotek EZ-Stik Hot 3D Printer Build Surface".
In the past, I tried many times with a lot of bed surface types, normal ABS or ASA filaments. It is always warping. So, I will not buy normal ABS filament again. Otherwise, for small parts it is ok.

Luc
Attachments
DSC04848.JPG
DSC04813.JPG
DSC04810.JPG
DSC04806.JPG
DSC03668.JPG

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:51 am

Billucas wrote:Esun ABS+, Appollo X industrial ASA.
Luc

Amazing results.
The biggest I had print is 11", and the print cracked. Did you had the same issues with the print in your images? it looks great, what material is it?

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Mecha_Monster wrote:Amazing results.
The biggest I had print is 11", and the print cracked. Did you had the same issues with the print in your images? it looks great, what material is it?

I also experimented cracks in the print, mostly with normal ASA/ABS, as you can see in the last photo.
But when I tried Appollo X industrial ASA, it was better and without warping too.
So, I will not buy normal ABS filament again. I also use PETG or PLA in other case.

Thanks,

Luc
Last edited by Billucas on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noren

Postby Noren » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 pm

A short clip I saw yesterday that explains quite good why plastic prints warp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNAtHl6kB7Y

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Lots of good info here. Thanks to all, and keep it coming. I'll have a spool of the eSun ABS+ tomorrow and will run it through the initiation process to see what I get.

It seems Primaselect is also a no-go for the US. The Apollo X ASA is available on Amazon.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 pm

zemlin wrote:Lots of good info here. Thanks to all, and keep it coming. I'll have a spool of the eSun ABS+ tomorrow and will run it through the initiation process to see what I get.

It seems Primaselect is also a no-go for the US. The Apollo X ASA is available on Amazon.

Here other pictures of Apollo X ASA and eSun ABS+. Printed with nozzle at 240°C
Attachments
DSC05096.JPG
DSC04897.JPG
DSC04829.JPG
DSC04816.JPG
DSC03897.JPG
Last edited by Billucas on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 am

The ABS+ showed up last night, a day earlier than expected. I ran it through my normal initiation process. I ended up with a nozzle temperature of 270C to achieve the best layer strength (0.6mm nozzle, .25mm layer height). Prints are clean and straight.

My "Holy Grail" of layer strength is to have a tall part that breaks without following the layer lines. I have never achieved this with ABS, and didn't get there with the ABS+. The amount of force required to fracture a part was impressive though. One of my test parts is a hollow 4-perimeter tube 35mm OD. I had to have it clamped in a vice with a pipe inside the tube for a lever to break it. The resulting failure was clean across a layer boundary.

The price and availability of the ABS+ is good here in the US, so it looks like this will work for me.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 am

One filament that might achieve this is CoPa by Polymaker, I hear it is very strong and has no warp. Not an ABS though, it's a nylon.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:07 pm

3DWP wrote:One filament that might achieve this is CoPa by Polymaker, I hear it is very strong and has no warp. Not an ABS though, it's a nylon.

My PETG parts break without following layer lines.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:56 am

zemlin wrote:
3DWP wrote:One filament that might achieve this is CoPa by Polymaker, I hear it is very strong and has no warp. Not an ABS though, it's a nylon.

My PETG parts break without following layer lines.

I think PETG breaks fairly easily it's so brittle, maybe that's why it doesn't follow layer lines.. I have tried it a few times but support removal is just a hazard with pieces/shards breaking off and shooting across the room.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 am

3DWP wrote:I think PETG breaks fairly easily it's so brittle, maybe that's why it doesn't follow layer lines.. I have tried it a few times but support removal is just a hazard with pieces/shards breaking off and shooting across the room.

That's not my experience with PETG at all! The parts are very tough with a good amount of flex before fracture. Support removes cleanly and pulls off in one chunk, unless very thin.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 am

zemlin wrote:
3DWP wrote:I think PETG breaks fairly easily it's so brittle, maybe that's why it doesn't follow layer lines.. I have tried it a few times but support removal is just a hazard with pieces/shards breaking off and shooting across the room.

That's not my experience with PETG at all! The parts are very tough with a good amount of flex before fracture. Support removes cleanly and pulls off in one chunk, unless very thin.

OK, which brand do you use?

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:00 am

Billucas wrote:
zemlin wrote:Lots of good info here. Thanks to all, and keep it coming. I'll have a spool of the eSun ABS+ tomorrow and will run it through the initiation process to see what I get.

Here other pictures of Apollo X ASA and eSun ABS+. Printed with nozzle at 240°C

Did you do postproduction? which is printed with asa and which with abs?

Return to “General”