Why "not"(?) use CNC motion controller in 3Dprint

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
jean-claude

Why "not"(?) use CNC motion controller in 3Dprint

Postby jean-claude » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi,
Forgive me a question (maybe) stupid but I start in the field of 3D printing with my N2 + dual which I am very happy.

I have a small lathe and a small milling machine. I have both equipped with stepper motors and GECKO G203V driven by EDING cnc CPU5A3 motion controller cards.
These cards are capable of handling curves (and many other things) in toolpaths.
They know how to execute the very sophisticated Gcode of the big names of CNC softwares.

Why not use these cards in 3D printers? why 3D printers are they limited to straight lines?

Jetguy

Re: Why "not"(?) use CNC motion controller in 3Dprint

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:25 pm

A couple of reasons.
#1 the STL file format we use as a source for the prints in most cases is a limited format and as such is already polygon on export from your CAD software. So nearly every single STL out there, most of the tools designers are using- already breaks down and removes the arcs and converts to segments.
#2 The slicer would then have to accept a different CAD format and generate native customized 3D printing gcode that included G2 arc.
#3 The printer can support G2 arc now, Marlin firmware has had support for a long time- no gcode is ever sent to the printer because of reason #1 and #2 with arcs.
#4 yes, there are limitations in the current 8bit architecture. But what you don't get is just swapping out controllers- where are you going to get this mythical 3D printing file from? Ask why you complex and expensive CAD and CAM software doesn't properly support 3D printing?

Chicken or the egg?? Come to 3D printing with a software that supports G2 arc- controllers will come.
Because we already have controllers that support G2 arc but never get fed arcs because the software chain does not support it.

jean-claude

Re: Why "not"(?) use CNC motion controller in 3Dprint

Postby jean-claude » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank you very much for your response Jetguy.
Indeed, it should be noted that the CAM software recover many different formats of different CAD software but address CNC machines with a "more sophisticated" Gcode.

And if last version of SOLIDWORKS begins to be able to deal with 3D printing, I presume that it do it like a slicer.
But when it comes to driving a 2D plasma cut... there are arcs.

I wondered if there was not another technical reason I did not know.

It's the egg and the chicken, you're right.
So, we just have to resume this conversation in a while. ;)
Thank you again.

Return to “General”