N2 or N2+

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
newraiseuser

N2 or N2+

Postby newraiseuser » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Hello, trying to decide between the two machines. How many of you bought the N2 and then regretted not buying the N2+?

EL Cuajinais

Re: N2 or N2+

Postby EL Cuajinais » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 pm

I got the N2. Not regretted one bit compared to N+. But I have thought on occasion I may have been better off with N1. I never use the full bed but I like the fuzzy feeling of knowing it’s there if I ever need it. I also like the trammed bed that the N1 does not have. As for the N2+, I have little use for build height, since the Z direction is by far the weakest in a 3D printed part. So for functional parts the z height is not worth it. However if you like to print GIANT trinkets instead of just plain trinkets, then the N2+ is good. Kidding aside, I can see some engineering prints using the full N2+ volume like for large casting molds. But see you should have a good idea of what is it you intend to print, it’s a cliché answer but it is a good answer. Also remember that the enclosed volume is larger so I assume that the temperature of the entire print chamber is lower when compared to the N2. This might (or might not) result is the N2 being better than the N2+ for ABS prints. Finally, don’t automatically assume you should get a dual head. Some users that get dual eventually removing one of the extruders because of the extra issues they may cause. And the single extruder has an independently controlled cooling fan, you know, like all the 3D printers in the world except Raise3D’s dual extruder printers. So there’s that.

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks. I am trying to decide between N2 and N2+, single or dual. Perhaps Vicky could comment on the effect of print volume on temperature and print quality when printing using ABS, PLA and PETG?

Just curious, how long did it take to print something like the yellow honeycomb structure shown in the N2+ product website? How many spools of filament did it take? https://www.raise3d.com/pages/printers

Matthew Lozano

Postby Matthew Lozano » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm in agreement with EL Cuajinais, unless you have a specific need for the massive Z of the n2+. Also the N2 is already huge and most prints will already fit on it. Another factor is the print time, with the N2+ your looking at multiple days of print time and not just hours, with such huge prints it might be a good idea to cut down the model and print in parts even if you could print the entire model at once on the N2+. Also not to mention the printer itself is really big, make sure you have the space.

Same thing for the 2nd nozzle, unless you have a vary specific reason/use to get duel nozzle i would go with a single, duel nozzle printing is not as useful or easy as one might think.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:30 am

newraiseuser wrote:Thanks. I am trying to decide between N2 and N2+, single or dual. Perhaps Vicky could comment on the effect of print volume on temperature and print quality when printing using ABS, PLA and PETG?

Just curious, how long did it take to print something like the yellow honeycomb structure shown in the N2+ product website? How many spools of filament did it take? https://www.raise3d.com/pages/printers

Deciding the machine type is totally related to your needs. What kinds of works you are going to use the machine to achieve? Advise us more details, we can make suggestions.
The print volume won't affect temperature and print quality a lot, since the biggest heating component is the heated bed, which is keeping on dropping down together with the bottom of the model. And top of the mode is fresh extruded out filament from hot nozzle.

And that big one costs about 12 days and 2 and a half spools of PLA.

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:39 am

I plan to use it mainly for functional prototyping and designs. For example, development of prosthetic limbs, props, etc. So, I guess the N2 may or may not be big enough. Since both the N2 and N2+ have the same foot print, the only factor for consideration is the cost.

Do the build volumes include or exclude the extruder? In others, can we print an object of 12x12x24" on the N2+ and 12x12x12" on the N2?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 am

The print volume of both extruders are 12*12*24 and 12*12*12. If you want to print dual extruder mixed print, then you will lose 25mm which is the distance between two nozzles in X direction. But if only use one extruder, the full print volume is just 12*12*24 and 12*12*12.

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:34 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The print volume of both extruders are 12*12*24 and 12*12*12. If you want to print dual extruder mixed print, then you will lose 25mm which is the distance between two nozzles in X direction. But if only use one extruder, the full print volume is just 12*12*24 and 12*12*12.

Thanks for the clarification.

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Given my potential needs, which model do you recommend?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Seems like the answer should be pretty straightforward. How much of what you want to make exceeds 12" in a single dimension. Would you be OK printing those parts in several pieces and joining them together? If not, better get the plus.

I have one of each. For my first Raise machine I bought the plus. The upcharge for the extra height was not that much, and I figured if I land one contract because of that dimension I'll make my money back. So far I have only printed parts that would have run on an N2, except for a big rocket vase-mode I made for a 3D printing expo at the local library.

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
newraiseuser wrote:Deciding the machine type is totally related to your needs. What kinds of works you are going to use the machine to achieve? Advise us more details, we can make suggestions.

Hello Vicky, what is your view? The N2+ seems to be future proof but as other forum users have pointed out, large pieces can be broken down into small ones. Gluing the pieces together could be troublesome and ugly looking though.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:04 am

How large the percentage is you want to use 3D printing to achieve over 300mm in height? 1 out of 10 or 1 out 20? Or less or more?
If those over 300mm projects can accept to be printed out in several pieces and glued together after?
If they are all must to be printed into one, then Plus can be your only choice.
If not such necessary, N2 is enough to use.
But please also take risk into consideration, the longer the total print time is, the more waste it will be if meet with failure.

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks Vicky. These are excellent questions to think about before purchase!

Return to “General”