Plastic Dust on print bed

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
markslewis62

Plastic Dust on print bed

Postby markslewis62 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:40 pm

I just started printing with my new N2 printer and I am noticing an amount of "plastic dust" accumulating on the bed during the print process (see photo below). I have not seen anything like this with my other printer (FF Creator Pro) but the prints are coming out fine. I am printing with ABS.

Anyone know the cause of this dust? Is it normal for the N2?

IMG_2820.jpg

Jetguy

Re: Plastic Dust on print bed

Postby Jetguy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:01 pm

#1 No, I is not "normal", nor is it "good" to be getting dust like that on the bed.
#2 Is your printer a dual extruder (2 nozzles)? If so, the second nozzle may not be properly high adjusted and it dragging the print layer creating the dust. Simply adjust the nozzles to be he exactly same height or remove the second hotend assembly as a unit when doing lots of single extruder printing.
dual.jpg

#3 Another location that create filament dust is the extruder feeder motor assembly. This is due to the filament slipping and being ground by the drive gear on the motor shaft. Either adjust the motor position in the mounting block to change the pinch distance between the gear and bearing idler or strangely consider upgrading the factory filament gripping gear if you are in fact getting this slipping and grinding.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1176&p=11446&hilit=dust#p11446
Inconsistent extrusion
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2307&p=16839&hilit=shim#p16839
flexible filament help
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=879&p=8367&hilit=paper+shim#p8342

markslewis62

Re: Plastic Dust on print bed

Postby markslewis62 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Yes, it is a dual extruder and this was just a first test of the left extruder so I hadn't yet calibrated the right one. I will try that - thanks!

Return to “General”