Filament stuck won't load or unload

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
stellavers

Filament stuck won't load or unload

Postby stellavers » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 pm

I was printing right after an update to ideamaker 3.1.0, and at only a few layers high the print faild. Not sure what went wrong, but I tried a new model and notice the filament wasn't coming out. I tried to load more in thinking it wasn't fed in all the way and that didn't work. so I tried to unload it ant it wont come out. I even bumped the temp up to 280 thinking that would be enough for mr to try to unclog the nozzle with no luck.

so then I tried printing from the other nozzle ( Left ) and after the brim it stopped extruding as well. I am able to unload and load the LEFT nozzle, but the RIGHT nozzle is completely stuck. I can see the feeding gear turning, and I tried pulling (as hard as I dared) and the filament wont come out.

Any thoughts or suggestions are gratefully accepted.

my printer is fully updated along with Ideamaker.

Printing with PETG

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Filament stuck won't load or unload

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 am

If the filament is totally stuck inside hotend, you may can only cut off the filament and remove the hotend from extruder mounting together with filament stuck in it. Then heat the hotend and remove filament, then clean.

stellavers

Postby stellavers » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:02 pm

but I heated it up to 280, and was still unable to unload (while also pulling on) the filament.

I will do as you suggest, but what is the best way to heat up the hotend once removed?

also, why would other nozzle ( LEFT ) just stop extruding during a print? I was still able to load and unload it just fine, but it barely finished the brim before the filament stopped coming out. I watched it run for a little while to make sure, and it didn't extrude anything.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 am

You can still keep the heating rod and thermocoupler attached in hotend after removing it from the extruder to heat it.

Please check try the following steps, when you meet no extruding problem, please do not stop printing immediately. Help push the filament with your hand and check whether the extrusion can be continued or not with extra helping force.
Please also check whether the two nozzle cooling fans are keeping on blowing cooling air to the throat tube to keep its temperature stay at low value during printing.

Return to “General”