Are soluble supports worth the hassle? Also do they work better in the Ultimaker 3?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
EL Cuajinais

Are soluble supports worth the hassle? Also do they work better in the Ultimaker 3?

Postby EL Cuajinais » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:28 pm

I only ask because I’ve heard many complaints about working with PVA. I have a single extruder N2 and am wondering if I’m missing out. I even remember reading in these forums of people who got sick of issues with the second nozzle and even turned their dual extruder printer into a single extruder.

But then I see that the Ultimaker 3 went with the soluble support route and seems to work well for them. Either that or I’m just believing their marketing. But it does seem like their PVA is more forgiving from what I’ve read? Also they have a system that lifts the unused nozzle so it seems that would alleviate half of the dual print headaches right there. Keep in mind I’ve never printed with a dual head in my life so I probably don’t know what I’m talking about. Also PLA is my least favorite material and I think PVA does not work as well with other materials. Thoughts?

Levi

Re: Are soluble supports worth the hassle? Also do they work better in the Ultimaker 3?

Postby Levi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Its always good to have an option that your printer can print soluble support, but if majority of your prints does not really require dual printing then you are not missing out on anything. In my opinion, you only want to use PVA if you can't remove the support by hand or its out of your reach. PLA and PVA works just fine when comes to dual printing for the N series as long the settings are dialed in correctly.

Billucas

Re: Are soluble supports worth the hassle? Also do they work better in the Ultimaker 3?

Postby Billucas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 pm

https://youtu.be/5w7RuHjPMVE
Hydrosupport, maybe good to try?

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:57 am

@Vicky said "PLA and PVA works just fine when comes to dual printing for the N series as long the settings are dialed in correctly." I wish that were so.

Return to “General”