Thermal-Protector - available soon to all

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
JohnSays

Re: Thermal-Protector - available soon to all

Postby JohnSays » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 am

Jetguy wrote:
JohnSays wrote:Thanks JetGuy. Are you using the standard cable?

Yes, just using the factory ribbon cable but with mainboards modified before the protection board was ever produced. As such, if I do have a cable failure, there is so much length I can just cut off the bad section (most likely to fail at the flexing at the extruder end anyway) pull fresh wire through, crimp a new end on and go.

Okay, thanks. I have never crimped the end onto a ribbon cable. What do I need for this cable in particular? -- tool and cable end. I'd like to be prepared.

Btw, I am going to do the mainboard 1M ohm resistor mod. I like the safety implications of that over the new ribbon cable and it looks to be an easy fix anyway. I tell you, I never leave my printer unattended anymore. This fix is hugely important.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 am

JohnSays wrote:Okay, thanks. I have never crimped the end onto a ribbon cable. What do I need for this cable in particular? -- tool and cable end. I'd like to be prepared.
I have used a small vise.

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 am

zemlin wrote:
JohnSays wrote:Okay, thanks. I have never crimped the end onto a ribbon cable. What do I need for this cable in particular? -- tool and cable end. I'd like to be prepared.
I have used a small vise.

I have used this:
https://www.conrad.se/Presst%E5ng-BKL-E ... 04_1517020

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks guys! Noren, I found the same or similar crimper on Amazon.com here in USA. Your picture was just what I needed.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

DeftCAD

Postby DeftCAD » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:35 pm

DeX wrote:I've got a situation here.
Can't disassemble it bcoz a white glue or silicone everywhere.
And I don't wanna break a thing.
:? :(

I had the same thing (not massively impressed if I'm being honest) but have now managed to sort it. In that image, you can see the cable going into a plastic connector, right? Well it's actually in two parts: there's a male and a female part. Keep wiggling the whole assembly and BOTH parts of mine came away from the PCB, leaving just the male pins on the PCB exposed. Then it's a case of using a scalpel to VERY CAREFULLY pick/cut at the silicone sticking the two parts together. Keep wiggling and pulling and eventually they will separate. Take the female part and put it back over the pins on the PCB, then you can connect it all up per the instructions.

I've just done mine, restarted the printer and so far everything seems fine. Hope this helps.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Yeah, that RTV on the connectors on my N2+ has turned some simple tasks into infuriating experiences, and I have cracked a connector or two in the process. My newer N2 has a hot-melt adhesive on the connectors that is a lot easier to deal with. I'm not looking forward to digging that ribbon connector out.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:48 pm

My N2 didn't have any RTV or hot glue at either end of the flat ribbon. Now I am wondering where else hot glue should be applied?
- John

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:06 pm

The extruder head breakout because the ribbon cable does not have locking connectors. This is the most flex prone area and subject to accidental failure mid print.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Makes sense. I would say that the reason the connections are glued on the mainboard are to keep them from coming undone during shipping. Would you agree? The other place that looks good for glue when operating the printer would be the bed heater connections at the build plate?
- John

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 pm

can we expect these soon?
Not sure where I was on the list and no big rush but I got an email asking to confirm my address but never got a reply...

Thanks

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 am

kencfii wrote:can we expect these soon?
Not sure where I was on the list and no big rush but I got an email asking to confirm my address but never got a reply...

Thanks

PM me your mail address. Will ask the operating team to help check.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:20 pm

I got an email asking what country I'm in, and replied (US), but have not received a thermal protector.
I have a runout sensor on order, but of course, nothing on that either.

RiserDog

Postby RiserDog » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey I got an email a good month ago asking what country I live in. I have not received a Thermal-Protector yet. I emailed support 2 weeks ago to check and did not get a reply. I have a N2 plus.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Should we have received some sort of confirmation after requesting the thermal protector? I submitted my request in early March for my recently purchased N2 and never heard anything.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:41 am

The shipping of Thermal Protector has already started. But dues to the delay of Filament Run-out Sensor, the Thermal Protectors together with Filament Run-out Sensor will be delay to be shipped together.
If you want to check more details for the shipping process of your order, please PM me your mail address and order information. Will ask the team to help check.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Tue May 01, 2018 3:41 am

I installed mine and the printer seems to operate the same.
An explanation of how it works would be nice.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue May 01, 2018 5:14 am

Andy Cohen wrote:I installed mine and the printer seems to operate the same.
An explanation of how it works would be nice.

The thermal protector simply adds 1M ohm pull up resistors to the thermistor lines. Therefore if the cable disconnects or breaks past the protector board, the unit reads max temperature and shuts off. You can read more about the issue it solves here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3524

JeffS

Postby JeffS » Tue May 08, 2018 1:22 am

I also received my thermal protector board from Raise last week (Thank You Raise3D) and installed this past weekend on my N2+. No problems other than the pin that had to be removed. I used a very thin tube (or you could 3D print one I suppose) just large enough to fit over the offending pin. I pushed the tube over the pin to be removed and wiggled it back and forth for about a minute until the pin finally fatigued and broke off cleanly at the base without disturbing any other pins. I am glad to have this extra measure of protection now.

Since installation, I printed 3 small jobs without any problems. I did, however, experience the error from the latest IM software release. I was trying to upload a model as the bed and nozzle were warming up to temp. Restarted IM and it worked the next time.

tulsah

Postby tulsah » Wed May 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Has anyone in Canada received there's yet?

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Thu May 17, 2018 1:44 am

Got my Filament Run-out Sensors two days ago but there were no Thermal-Protection parts with it. I understood that thermal protection would be included. Note that I did ask for it on the web site.
- John

Return to “General”