Thermal-Protector - available soon to all

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
EldRick

Re: Thermal-Protector - available soon to all

Postby EldRick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm really curious how one would remove that offending pin down inside the shroud without breaking anything else.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:11 pm

EldRick wrote:I'm really curious how one would remove that offending pin down inside the shroud without breaking anything else.

Hakko CHP-170 micro cutter, the same I use for filament to cut off the end when changing filaments
https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-170-Mi ... B076M3ZHBV

Good tool for the toolbox and nicely priced.
Hakko-chp170.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:46 am

We apologize for our negligence that we overlook the differences of the connectors between early batches and later ones.
Thanks so much for Jetguy’s explanation and helpful instructions.
Either removing the pin from the ribbon cable side or cutting the pin from the protector can work. However, from our perspective, removing the pin should be safer.
Anyone with the same problem due to the earlier batches, please try to take out the pin from ribbon cable’s connector carefully with tweezers. Anything still unsolved on this, please feel free to let us know. Below picture (source from Jetguy’s previous instruction post) is for your reference.
439EAAF5-376E-4276-9D2B-2AB3F2841BE0.jpeg

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:45 pm

In my experience, removing said pin from the connector is easiest with small needle nose pliers - flex it back and forth a few times and it will break off at the base. Easier than trying to snip it off down inside the socket.

I have those same Hakko clippers. Highly recommended.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:39 am

The pin was too far in the connector to reach so had to cut the correseponding pin in the protector board.

I tried both a micro cutter and needle nose pliers - it was harder than I thought. All pins around it were bent but the micro cutter did the job although it was hard to reach the lower end of the pin.

I straightened the pins a bit again (needle nose pliers did that the best) and connected the protector. So not really a plug and play job.

duke666

Postby duke666 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
DragonXtreme wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
You may need to shoot a mail to sales@raise3d.com

Vicki, I emailed sales early last week in response to my order for this along with the filament run out sensor that was ordered and paid for on 3/8/2018. I have not received any response from them. Any chance you can prod them into a response.

Please PM your purchase information and your contacts to me.

thanks, i got a thermal protection!

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:12 pm

To JetGuy: Is there a better cable solution that you know of or are using that you could point me towards? Btw, thank you for your full write-up of the need for thermal runaway protection.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

DeX

Postby DeX » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:23 pm

I've got a situation here.
Can't disassemble it bcoz a white glue or silicone everywhere.
And I don't wanna break a thing.
:? :(
Attachments
IMG_20180411_170048.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:37 pm

JohnSays wrote:To JetGuy: Is there a better cable solution that you know of or are using that you could point me towards? Btw, thank you for your full write-up of the need for thermal runaway protection.

John, sadly, the fix is either I trade you pre modified mainboards, or you just go ahead and do this free safety module and do the simple pin mod. I'll help you as best I can and I am one of the closer members to you.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks you for the offer JetGuy. I have, of course, ordered the fix along with the filament run-out sensor.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear JetGuy. I was referring to a better cable solution as in replace the existing cable with one that has better flex or more robustness to avoid the cable breakage problem for the longest time possible. I tried to find an article you wrote a while ago where you refer to replacing the ribbon cable with something else. I'm not sure if you were referring to to an N1 or N2 and I couldn't find what you wrote again.

I'm also thinking that other industries must have solutions for moving electrical connections that will not break. Perhaps it is a matter of overall machine design -- as in designing a motion system that does not expose the electrical connections to so much stress. I'm guessing you have probably given this topic a lot of thought and action.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm

There are ribbon cables designed for high flex life
https://www.digikey.com/en/product-high ... life-cable

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 pm

Well that is certainly cool. Do we know that the cable R3D is using is any different?
- John

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Anyone know how long the cable is?
- John

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 pm

have these all shipped out? I thought I placed my order for the free thermal protector and I haven't seen anything yet.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 pm

JohnSays wrote:Anyone know how long the cable is?

I do not have a measurement but know it's about 2 meters. One fact that happens here is both the shorter N2 and N2Plus, and maybe even the N1 all share the same length ribbon cable and a massive amount is bundled into the base of every one of these printer.

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 pm

found my reply back to my request on feb 27, nothing seen or heard since.

kinda makes me sad since it was my printer that exposed this issue.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 am

firesped wrote:have these all shipped out? I thought I placed my order for the free thermal protector and I haven't seen anything yet.

Please shoot me a PM. Will ask the local team to help check out your shipping.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

When will these be standard, ie. pre-installed, on new N2 series printers?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:52 am

Alex M. wrote:When will these be standard, ie. pre-installed, on new N2 series printers?

The latest batch of N series in factory had been installed with Thermal Protector by origin.
On the new Pro2 series', the function of Thermal Protector has been integrated onto the Motion Controller Board.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Jetguy wrote:
JohnSays wrote:Anyone know how long the cable is?

I do not have a measurement but know it's about 2 meters. One fact that happens here is both the shorter N2 and N2Plus, and maybe even the N1 all share the same length ribbon cable and a massive amount is bundled into the base of every one of these printer.

Thanks JetGuy. Are you using the standard cable?
- John

Return to “General”