Thermal-Protector - available soon to all

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
DeX

Re: Thermal-Protector - available soon to all

Postby DeX » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:34 am

How long it would take to deliver to Russia's Saint-Petersburg?! I ordered 3pcs about 2-3 weeks ago. Thank you.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:16 am

DeX wrote:How long it would take to deliver to Russia's Saint-Petersburg?! I ordered 3pcs about 2-3 weeks ago. Thank you.

Our sales team has more detailed shipping list and plan. Please shoot a mail to sales@raise3d.com to get more information for your shipping.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Did anybody get the part already? I got a mail two weeks ago saying they tried to reach me for my adress (?), I replied I did not get a mail but sent the adress info and heard nothing since then. A bit weird because the process of ordering the part is to fill in all your info like adress etc.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:53 am

3DWP wrote:Did anybody get the part already? I got a mail two weeks ago saying they tried to reach me for my adress (?), I replied I did not get a mail but sent the adress info and heard nothing since then. A bit weird because the process of ordering the part is to fill in all your info like adress etc.

Would you like to PM your mail address so that I can help ask sales team check whether we get your information properly?

duke666

Postby duke666 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:03 am

I left an application for protection, where can I track the execution of this order?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:12 am

duke666 wrote:I left an application for protection, where can I track the execution of this order?

You may need to shoot a mail to sales@raise3d.com

easysofts

Postby easysofts » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi all,

No news for me, I sent a mail just now
Machines Brand : Raise3D / Wanhao / BCN3D

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:03 pm

I’ve got the shipping info for my thermal protector from 3D-Prima here in Sweden today.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:38 am

I just received the thermal protector, thanks Raise3D!

81114920665088_n.jpg

12137965453312_n.jpg

The installation instructions are here: https://www.raise3d.com/pages/thermal-p ... structions

DragonXtreme

Postby DragonXtreme » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
duke666 wrote:I left an application for protection, where can I track the execution of this order?

Vicki, I emailed sales early last week in response to my order for this along with the filament run out sensor that was ordered and paid for on 3/8/2018. I have not received any response from them. Any chance you can prod them into a response.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:00 pm

So, I received the thermal protector and went to install it. But the connector will not fit!

The motherboard connector has a pin in the plug on one side, I suppose to avoid being able to connect it wrong (there's no connector socket just pins on the MB).

So now I'm supposed to try to get that little pin out of the connector when it's pushed stuck by the protector..

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:38 pm

3DWP wrote:So, I received the thermal protector and went to install it. But the connector will not fit!

The motherboard connector has a pin in the plug on one side, I suppose to avoid being able to connect it wrong (there's no connector socket just pins on the MB).

So now I'm supposed to try to get that little pin out of the connector when it's pushed stuck by the protector..

Curious. Could you share an image.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:35 pm

3DWP wrote:So, I received the thermal protector and went to install it. But the connector will not fit!

You are not going to get that pin out of the connector, not easily and unlikely without damage. The answer is cut the matching male pin from the connector socket since we know and I have diagrammed that pin is not used. They used it like a key on some production batches- then forgot they did it when making this adapter so you have to "fix it".
mainboard ribbon cable connector detail.jpg

There are basically 3 ways this can be handled.
#1 you could complain here, then wait for a yet another protector. Dumb answer because hey- all that time you print with no protection or worse, you don't print at all.
#2 You could simply clip off the IDC ribbon cable connector that has the blocking pin in it from the factory (so no, you didn't do this, it was intentionally there the entire time and no chance in heck could you remove it in the first place) and crimp on a new IDC connector. Problem with this is again waiting on parts, then the added factor of you crimping a new IDC connector in the correct direction back onto the end of the cable.
#3 Or, just clip the unused pin in the socket that is preventing you from inserting the keyed connector, and then the problem is done an over with.

I didn't create the situation, I'm just telling you the reality of what you are facing and how to fix it and be printing.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Again, I understand what you are saying, what likely the issue is.
#1 you have an early system and the header pins at the mainboard may not even have a connector shell around the socket. As such, to make them "keyed", they omitted one of the unused pins and in the matching female IDC connector at the mainboard, they inserted the cutoff pin. This keys both sides so it only plugs in one way.
Missing pin mainboard.JPG

Matching "keyed" IDC connector on ribbon cable.
Keyed IDC.JPG

#2 The newer boards had shrouded headers, and may not omit the pin in a keyed situation and so those ribbon cables in those printers also did not have the manually inserted pin.
Connector with no key.JPG

#3 The new protection board may have omitted this detail of the required missing pin to be backwards compatible with all versions of the printer made.

So, the simple fix is cut that pin in the connector on the safety board. Caution, you want to clip the lower pin, the one in the row away from the slot.
markings2.jpg
markings2.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 352 times

Basically, you want that connector above to look like this at the mainboard. Again, notice the slot in the shroud and the pin missing or cut is in the lower row away from the slot.
Keyed socket.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:52 am

DragonXtreme wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

Vicki, I emailed sales early last week in response to my order for this along with the filament run out sensor that was ordered and paid for on 3/8/2018. I have not received any response from them. Any chance you can prod them into a response.

Please PM your purchase information and your contacts to me.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am

@Jetguy Yeah I figured that it may be the easiest to just cut the same pin in stead of trying to pry the little thing out probably damaging it. If it's not used anyway it's no problem. Thanks for the extensive info!

Aero3D

Postby Aero3D » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:23 am

Received my thermal protector today. Thanks Raise3D.

In checking the installation procedure, although a fairly simple fit, it appears that step 4 may confuse some due to the images. It shows the correct way to install is to ensure matching the red coloured wires so they are on the same side(image with green check mark) yet in the following image showing the 4 stages of insertion of the new cable the red coloured wires are on opposite sides.
Attachments
step_4-03_large.png
step_4-02_large.png

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:41 pm

3DWP wrote:@Jetguy Yeah I figured that it may be the easiest to just cut the same pin in stead of trying to pry the little thing out probably damaging it. If it's not used anyway it's no problem. Thanks for the extensive info!

Being dead honest, I'm sad they overlooked this detail as it is a problem and not everyone is willing or able (for all the same reasons why I said the direct mainboard soldering mod- not everyone would do it), this was supposed to be plug and play.

Worse, we've waited all this time for this to finally ship, and meanwhile just this week, a new user probably completely oblivious to the topic had a major overheat from a ribbon cable failure and completely missed the warning signs that this would have prevented. Flat out, that incident and potential damage simply would not have been able to happen.

DANIEL595

Postby DANIEL595 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm

I receive my 3 today yet to fit them as printers are currently in operation. but on I received is broken so emailed for replacement

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is broken on the one you received? one of the locks on the connectors? I see how they stick out and given shipping in a padded mailer, I could see how that could happen. At the same time, the PCB does had a tab for the mounting hole, and even though PCB is generally tough, I could see how that could happen too. To my knowledge, there are no traces to that mounting hole, so functionally it works, just not pretty.

The reason I say this is, given the risk here, it's better to install a detector, broken lock or not, broken mounting or not VS the risk of running with no detector. If I had my way, this would be a recall. It's simply taken too long for the group to get this. I'm guilty of not catching the need for this earlier and forcing the hand.

Return to “General”