Printer failure

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Squenz

Re: Printer failure

Postby Squenz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:27 pm

I definately won't make this for others, as i hate this kind of job and it's a liabiliy issue for me to top it off. But i could send you a set of parts, and as much cable as you need for your N1/N2/N2+, but shipping to Sweden could be a killer, don't know how much that would cost. The only real problem with this is the crimping tool, i have a set of japanese engineer pliers for all sizes of pins, but that's not what anybody has lying around. They aren't expensive as buying a specific crimping tool, but around 40 euros for only the smaller sizes pliers makes such an one-off thing kinda crude.

I have a buddy who does this sort of things for a living, if there's some demand, i could ask him for giving a quote and make and sell them professionally out of his company. But don't expect this idea being on a fast track, he's usually swamped with orders. It could be severall weeks before he can have someone fab up these cables.

Noren

Postby Noren » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm

newraiseuser wrote:Or you could install a hepafilter in the printer to tak
Thanks Noren. For the first suggestion, do you have some photos to illustrate the idea?

I was thinking about a duct fan. There are models that are inline and you put in the fan duct and there are models that you connect the fan duct to. And there are Flexible fan ducts. And you can print your own connectors to save money.
Attachments
CA75354E-3976-4DCC-A3B1-D1F540AEF436.jpeg
CE6944B3-C29F-4E92-9B30-4FA54030FBBC.jpeg
BA4EF6B6-0412-469E-9D65-2A5269B5F4A4.jpeg

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 am

Well, to bring this thread up to speed ...

Finally, the cable came in yesterday, i made "the error" of ordering a cable chain with the order and this cable chain slowed down shipping time for about a week. The cable is nice, i expected it being even more sturdy than it actually is. Even more impressive because i choose 0,25 mm² instead of the 0,14mm² ribbon wire. I have now everthing at hand and i'll tackle the replacement cable soon, but it looks like it will be saturday or sunday before i can get to it. Way too much on my plate ...

Raess

Postby Raess » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 am

Nice to hear. Looking forward to see it in action ;)
Follow the construction of the Valify robot lawnmower [http://valify.se]

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Good news......
Raise3 just put this on the front page of the home website.
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/thermal-protector-orders
Reserve Your Thermal-Protector Now
Complimentary Pre-Orders for the Thermal-Protector, designed for N-Series printers.

Free protector.jpg

Free protector2.jpg
Last edited by Jetguy on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Jetguy wrote:Good news......
Raise3 just put this on the front page of the home website.
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/thermal-protector-orders

Really good news !!

I venture the guess your endless effort in bringing this up to more common knowledge and attention finally did help with making the right decision.

Raess

Postby Raess » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Great. Hope they send it worldwide. :)

Raess

Postby Raess » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:45 pm

@Squenz any update on the custom cable? :-)

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Nope, no dice over the weekend. I was so fed up with several IT encounters last week, i wouldn't even want to see my computer to prepare a print or anything else. Ever tried to install W7 on a new machine with an Samsung .M2 SSD ?, no fun at all, as far as i can tell.

Another IT issue yesterday even up took most of my day, now i'm really fed up.

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Is the second time the print stop ad halt print. I'm printing ABS with bed at 110° and ext at 235° enclousure. The touch dislpay freeze.... is it maybe to hot inside?

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:37 pm

mark_3d wrote:Is the second time the print stop ad halt print. I'm printing ABS with bed at 110° and ext at 235° enclousure. The touch dislpay freeze.... is it maybe to hot inside?

All the extruder cable connection beacame soft... i think they are going to melt.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 pm

mark_3d wrote:....... is it maybe to hot inside?

No, i'm printing PA12 Nylon at 275C/HBP at 120C over a looooong time without missing a beat.

The temp-sensor of the unused, second extruder shows between 75 and 82 C during these prints on the display and that means, chamber temperature is in that region also. The constant-on fan moves the air inside the chamber, "cooling" the unused hot end with surrounding air temp, making the temperature read somewhat reliable.

So, that's not the cause in the failure of your print.

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Squenz wrote:
mark_3d wrote:....... is it maybe to hot inside?

No, i'm printing PA12 Nylon at 275C/HBP at 120C over a looooong time without missing a beat.

The temp-sensor of the unused, second extruder shows between 75 and 82 C during these prints on the display and that means, chamber temperature is in that region also. The constant-on fan moves the air inside the chamber, "cooling" the unused hot end with surrounding air temp, making the temperature read somewhat reliable.

So, that's not the cause in the failure of your print.

But why the print stop two time with the screen freezing?

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:31 pm

I have not much of an idea ...

Maybe the serial cable connection between the main board and the PCduino is unstable ?

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:07 pm

Squenz wrote:I have not much of an idea ...

Maybe the serial cable connection between the main board and the PCduino is unstable ?

I don't think it is the cable connection because when i press the reset button on the back of the lcd panel the system restart and works correctly.

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 pm

What has happened for me, twice, is that the flat ribbon cable from the print head has broken. The first time i got random errors. The second time the print aborted at a specific place. When the cable was bent and hade a kink in it. When the print head was at the back right corner it put strain on the cable and it didn't make contact. So I recommend that you check or replace your ribbon cable. That cable is in fact almost considered a consumable.

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:55 pm

i'm printing relative small object 8cm at the center of the bed. But when the printer stop and freeze i reset the printer and without moving the extruder it restart without any error. I mean that if it was a cable problem i will get the error after the reset beacause the extruder is at the same position that when it's stop.

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Sounds like you should open a ticket at help.raise3d.com.

Does this happen with all prints?

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:48 pm

its happen only with abs with bed at 110° and a closed enclosure... if i open the door i haven't any freezing issue but the model wrap up....

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Wel, after reading the additions of this issue, i'd guess the break out board or the connection on the 14-pin connector could be the culprit.

Of course, the ribbon cable is on top of the list of usual suspects, but this could be something else also. Is there some dark/black fabric-like tape aorund the end of the ribbon cable near the break out board ? My N1 has it, Noren's N1 didn't have it ...

This might be nothing, but who knows ?

Return to “General”