Why I have to leave the Raise3D-Community

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Tinkerer

Why I have to leave the Raise3D-Community

Postby Tinkerer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Hello All,

it's a pity but I have to leave this fine community soon.

Reason is that I will not have an N2 anymore - it will be sent back to the dealer for refund.

As some of you may know, the N2 I have does have multiple issues.
I have been discussing those issues in the forum as well as with raise3d-support as well as with the dealers support.
In the end the message we got from Raise3D-support was :
"I'm sorry I didn't solve your problem."

With the dealer I have been discussing a replacement machine but have been told that Raise3D
will not provide a replacement unit.

So the only option is to quit Raise3D and look somewhere else for a good 3D-Printer.

Must say I am absolutely unhappy with this.

Not only did I invest a significant amount of time and efforts to go after the issues
(e.g. hours of recording video while going after the thermal runaway error plus a lot of waisted material for test prints) but I am also left with some kg's of waisted filament, useless spare parts and add ons and also I am quite stuck now to 1,75mm Filament printers
since there's a lot of material left.

(by the way if anyone is interested at buying the leftover 1,75mm filament at a superior rate - let me know;-)

And by the way I still think that the overall concept of the Raise3D N2 is a promising one
that can be brought to perfection by Raise3D with a little more work.
Would have been happy to participate...

So stay well & hopefully never receive a unit like I did;-)
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

DeftCAD

Re: Why I have to leave the Raise3D-Community

Postby DeftCAD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:13 pm

A worrying read... I bought one before Christmas and had a failure within two weeks of not constant use that stopped me using the machine completely. To be fair, both the outlet I bought the machine from and Raise have been very pro-active and it seems to be fixed now so I'm hoping for a smooth ride from here.

Seems a shame to not have a replacement machine: reading your message it felt to me that's what you actually want and would stick with the brand if you got it.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:00 pm

c'est la vie. It's unfortunate. Every tool has some tinkering to be done to get to work perfectly. It seems you received a bad unit.

Good luck.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Not questioning your reasons or experiences - I've seen your posts and it does seem like you received a lemon. I picked up my N2+ this fall and it has performed very well. Having had 3D printing experience I made some changes to the machine right off - Bondtech Extruder, Panucatt stepper drivers, and some mods to the bed to address my personal preferences. So far I'm very pleased with my investment.

stewart

Postby stewart » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:28 pm

With two of these now (one at home, one at work), I sympathize with this post. There are, in my opinion, serious engineering and design problems. They can mostly be worked around, but detract from the potential and overall utility of the unit. My biggest beef, though, is with the uselessly proprietary software stack. It adds absolutely no value and locks out developers who could otherwise improve the performance of the machine. With several different types of 3D printers in use at home and work, it's the hardest one to integrate into our workflow.

I think Raise3D would be better served improving their hardware first before poorly re-inventing the software stack that drives it. At least they should create and publish open APIs or standard HTTP(s) interfaces for controlling the hardware.

Timber Haint

Postby Timber Haint » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:43 pm

UPDATE: I have emailed Michael as he's requested and he returned my email in a very timely fashion with the answer.
UPDATE 2 I ended up purchasing an N2 plus and couldn't be more happy!
See: http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6305

This is really a bummer because I feel like I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately, I have to leave before ever really starting. I thought long and hard about posting this because I don't want to cause negative publicity for a company in less I saw it necessary.

I've been doing research on the N2 plus and on paper - and in most reviews/posts - it seemed to be great. Even though I found some negative reviews/posts I decided about a week and a half ago I was going to give it a try. One of the my biggest concerns was receiving a unit with a level bed. I saw a few posts that the initial reception of the unit had an "un-level" bed. As I consider this very important from a company that claims the bed is level from the factory, I would consider this a fatal flaw that I absolutely cannot have this. I want to create things, not spend my day leveling a bed when most of the other machines have auto-bed level. I decided I wanted to know what location they were officially shipping the units from because I didn't want a unit from overseas due to a long and arduous shipping process.

I've sent at least 3 emails (over the course of a week and a half) to each of the following email addresses AND from different source emails addresses in case that was causing the issue.

inquiry@raise3d.com
sales@raise3d.com

I can't in good conscience send a company ~$4k if I can't get a response from their email addresses - especially the sales@raise3d.com address - which you would think was closely monitored.

This is not to slander the company, but make others aware of my experiences and concerns.
Last edited by Timber Haint on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:39 pm

@Tinkerer, I am truly sorry the outcome of this has turned out the way it has, even I could see the effort you put into trying to make the system work. On behalf of Raise allow me to apologize for the time and effort spent on a product that ended up failing you. This is not something we want to have happen.

@Timber Haint, Please send me an email directly at michael.p@raise3d.com I am not sure why you have not received a response but I will be able to answer any questions you have.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 am

Yes, I certainly would love to keep this machine - if it would be in a „works as designed“ condition.
I still would give the N2 and Raise3D another chance to convince me;-)

The Raise3D-support agreed that this particular N2 does have too many issues to be able to bring it into that condition.
Even the dealer seems to have no more interest in a second repair-attempt (it was already in repair once).
So I would have expected that they would exchange it for a working one.
But no way, they simply do not react on that „suggestion“.

I do not have an issue with receiving a defect product.
But I would expect a manufacturer to fix the defect product.
That’s where you can create customer loyalty - when you handle problems in a positive and satisfying way.
To state that very clear: It is not my decision nor in my interest to have this machine returned for refund.

It’s not only that I am disappointed.
Working in customer facing jobs since 20+ years, I simply can not understand this behavior.

@Michael: So if Raise3D does not want to happen something like this, Raise3D could simply rethink how they handle seriously defect machines…
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

Return to “General”