N2+ Newbie

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Alrawly

N2+ Newbie

Postby Alrawly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi all

We've recently purchased a N2+ and I've been spending some time doing some tests. Really impressed by the quality of the prints so far!

I'm looking to start doing some large scale prints shortly and was wondering if its possible to turn off the heated elements while the printer is paused? Given the printer would be left unattended overnight id wondered if we could pause it after 12 hours then resume the next day? Is it possible to set this up in gcode to accompany the pause at height function?

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: N2+ Newbie

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi Alrawly,

Welcome to our community, we hope you have a great time here!

At the moment I do not believe we can have the hotend drop temp while paused. There may be a function I am missing off the top of my head.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Levi3D

Postby Levi3D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:34 am

Hello Alrawly,

Unfortunately its not possible at the moment. If you are concern leaving the printer unattended, you can just simply turn off the printer and resume the next day. This will also test if the resume capability of the printer is working properly (Note: make sure the battery is at 100% charge)

The other work around is this:
set up the N2+ with the wifi or ethernet network
Use an IP camera or set up your computer's webcam and put it front of your N2+
Click the Printer menu on the ideaMaker and click "Connect to Printer"
Download an app called Teamviewer in your computer and then to your mobile device or to another computer.
Once you've learn how to use the Teamviewer app, you will be able to access remotely anywhere in the world using another device where you can pause the print, adjust the nozzle/bed temp, feed rate etc

Regards

Alrawly

Postby Alrawly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks for the replies!

My first test with shutting down the printer was a bit of a failure. I wasn't present but when the printer was turned back on and the print resumed the bed raised back up to the original starting position. Not entirely sure what happened and may have been a human factor ;-)

I set up a larger test print yesterday and shut down over night. I resumed this morning and all ok. Fingers crossed that this will allow for some longer prints without leaving overnight (unfortunately a restriction for our lab). I have an alternative location i can use which will get around these issue but for convenience if i can get it working here ill be happy.

Levi that sounds like a great solution ill look into it.

Al

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 am

Every time when you want to power off the machine to carry out a dump saving for next time print recovery, please check the power of battery at top right corner first. If it is not full or high level, the dump saving may failed.

BTW, if every night you need to pause the print before you leave, you can manual set the nozzle to be low temperature.

Alrawly

Postby Alrawly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks Vicky I'll check it out.

First results hopefully shown here. Really pleased with the print, few small settings to play with but think I've got a good balance of quality and time.

This project is a 1:1 print of some details from a stone capital. Stone masons will be using the print to help them carve replicas from limestone.

20180115_213958.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 am

It is really a great start of 3D printing!

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:15 am

Welcome the community. Awrawly! you will find that its the printer you turn to for the best prints! I have 4 on campus with hopefully 2 more to order, and a lot of happy students! also just let the print run, I have had some 70+ hour prints and not one has failed. Please just make sure the first through 5 or so layers go down great and check on it as you can.

Alrawly

Postby Alrawly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks all. We have a Stratasys Object 30 which we have been using for a couple of years which is excellent but material is incredibly expensive for large scale. This really allows us to scale up our prints!

Al

Levi3D

Postby Levi3D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:41 pm

That looks great!

Tip: if you're going to start printing large prints like this with a wide base and sharp corners, you might encounter warping/lifting from the platform. To avoid this, use washable glue (purple glue) by Elmer's, apply one or two coats just before the N2+ starts to print.

Happy printing

Return to “General”