Removing extruder

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Kerry

Removing extruder

Postby Kerry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 am

Hi All,

When I first purchased my N2 Plus I also bought the bondtech upgrade but have not been able to change over the extruder because the allen head screw on the right hand side that holds the extruder assembly to the block was over tightened at the factory resulting in a stripped out head of the screw. I have tried to remove using the rubber band trick, welding in a allen key with JB Weld and finally started to try and use an Ezi out. The problem I have now is I am not sure what this screw is made of but a cobalt drill bit makes no impact on the screw. So now I am out of ideas.

Any suggestions on how to get this out would be much appreciated.

cheers
Kerry

DeftCAD

Re: Removing extruder

Postby DeftCAD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 am

I've only had my machine a couple of weeks and I'm not overly familiar with it so I don't know if it'll be possible, but in my general engineering experience heat usually helps free off seized screws. If you can get some penetrating oil in there, leave to soak then heat the metal around the screw, the difference in expansion can loosen the join.

If that's not possible, try an imperial Allen key - if you're lucky you'll find one a little bigger than the original metric, which can then be tapped in. The tapping helps break the join and hopefully it'll turn.

Countersink and cap head screws are often higher tensile as standard than hex heads so they will be harder to drill. You might be able to use a carbide tool on a Dremel or similar to cut away at the head until it breaks free then grab the remaining thread with mole grips.

Small screws seizing are a pain - best of luck!

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 am

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

It has have a few weeks of soaking and also heating up to try and budge it - no luck unfortunately. Will see if I can get a larger Allen key to fit in - I have tried Torque type drill bits, and various other types. I think your idea of cutting the head off might be the way to go. cheers Kerry

Fred3d

Postby Fred3d » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi Kerry,
I had this issue on my N2... the problem occures if you use the allen key received with your printer ! They are really unusable... you better have to throw them in a trash and buy a set from Facom. It cost few euros, but you gonna use it all your life...
To unscrew the damaged screw, I used a special tool made exactly for this purpose : a screw remover. You put it on a drill and it does what it is made for easily Here is lin to see the tool : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B012Z3HYN0/ref ... item_image.

Good luck !

Fred

Return to “General”