has anyone here tried HydroFill support material with ABS?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Jab136

has anyone here tried HydroFill support material with ABS?

Postby Jab136 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:50 am

it says it is compatible, but I just wanted to check, I would much prefer a water soluble support material to one that requires limonene, not only because then I wouldn't be also partially dissolving the ABS...

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: has anyone here tried HydroFill support material with ABS?

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi Jab136,

I do not believe our team has had a chance to test this material, Im sure someone else in the community may have an answer though.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:44 am

I have tried this but it wasn't a success yet. The filament got soft and jammed. I tried both nozzles, maybe somebody has tips for slicer settings and variables to get it to work?

I had very high hopes for this because ''normal'' PVA has lower printing temps and this was advertised as the magical solution. It does stick to ABS but also strings a lot.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:30 am

Haven't tried this filament before, but if it is a PVA based filament, normally should work together with low temperature filament, such as PLA. Most kinds of PVA filament are very sensitive to heat, which usually need proper cooling, opposite to ABS.
For ABS, HIPS might be a better choice as support material.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:26 pm

I purchased a spool (it was not cheap) I am also still having issues finding settings that work, as it seems fragile and burns easily, causing clogs if you don't do precise temperature control to shut off the nozzle when it isn't printing. Apparently it is not PVA based but is some other proprietary formula. The problem with HIPS is the damage that limonene does to the ABS while dissolving the HIPS, so if possible I would personally prefer to use a water soluble support material. I will try to keep this thread updated if I find settings that work.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:46 am

ABS and HIPS may work well but I don't want to use limonene. I have one bottle but the smell.. I don't want my ABS models smelling like oranges. And apparently it damages ABS too.

I have a Polysher and PolySmooth, maybe that could work. Dissolve the PVB support with IPA or ethanol. Also not ideal and cheap like water but if it works...

I still hope to see a magical water solublee support someday that works on most filaments and is printable. In January Formfutura is supposed to release a new higher temp PVA material, I want to test that on ABS. And I saw the BHOH from Verbatim which is also interesting: http://www.verbatim-europe.nl/nl/prod/v ... ite-55902/

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 am

IMG_20180104_122317679.jpg
I can't find settings that work, I have had this happen twice now (the feed gear completely cut the filament)

Edit: I am currently cleaning burnt material out of the nozzle, so it probably was related to a clog, but I had the nozzle set to 0 degrees whenever it wasn't printing, so I can't think of any other solutions to the issue...

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:13 am

That's a pity, expecially as they claim this is the magic solution: ''Designed for use with any brand of compatible FFF 3D printer, the new filament withstands high temperatures, strongly bonds with ABS and PLA plastics and rinses away with water.''

I will contact them to ask how I can print this on a Raise3D.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:10 pm

3DWP wrote:That's a pity, expecially as they claim this is the magic solution: ''Designed for use with any brand of compatible FFF 3D printer, the new filament withstands high temperatures, strongly bonds with ABS and PLA plastics and rinses away with water.''

I will contact them to ask how I can print this on a Raise3D.

please let me know if they respond to you... I really need for this to work.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:09 pm

I got an answer: ''I would recommend sticking around the 230-235 range. Hydrofill susseptable to heat creep if the filament is inactive for a long period of time. A wipe prime tower is recommended in order to keep filament moving through the nozzle.''

I already tried 230 to 250 even though 235 is the recommended minimum. I also used a wipe tower and the material oozes a lot like PVA. I will let you know if I hear more.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 pm

3DWP wrote:I got an answer: ''I would recommend sticking around the 230-235 range. Hydrofill susseptable to heat creep if the filament is inactive for a long period of time. A wipe prime tower is recommended in order to keep filament moving through the nozzle.''

I already tried 230 to 250 even though 235 is the recommended minimum. I also used a wipe tower and the material oozes a lot like PVA. I will let you know if I hear more.

thanks, I have tried 235, and 210, but no luck so far...

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 pm

I found more info on YouTube:

''Hydrofill: contains no PVA. Contains formula which allows ABS, some Nylons, and flexible materials to stick well. Does not carbonize in the print head. Although it is sensitive to moisture, it isn't nearly as bad as PVA which can get ruined even while doing large prints. You can find storage instructions and learn more here: https://airwolf3d.com/shop/water-solubl ... -3d-print/ PVA: Only works with PLA, small temperature range, and is extremely sensitive to moisture. Carbonizes in print head and jams easily.''

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Looks like I got my final answer from Airwolf3D: ''That would be the best recommendations i could give. Im not too familiar with raise3d hotend so if it is susceptible to heat creep then you might have issues printing hydrofill with it.''

So stay around 230 to 235 degrees and use a wipe tower..

I guess Raise3D and Airwolf3D HydroFill probably don't work together.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:28 pm

3DWP wrote:Looks like I got my final answer from Airwolf3D: ''That would be the best recommendations i could give. Im not too familiar with raise3d hotend so if it is susceptible to heat creep then you might have issues printing hydrofill with it.''

So stay around 230 to 235 degrees and use a wipe tower..

I guess Raise3D and Airwolf3D HydroFill probably don't work together.

tried both of those, didn't work, damn...

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 pm

They offered me to trade in my 3D printer so I can print HydroFill on their Axiom machine :roll:

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:15 am

I suspect it may be related to how hot the entire print assembly gets during prolonged prints, Hydrofill seems to be soft to start with, and I suspect that the temperature it gets to in the cold end may be sufficient to soften it further to the point where it no longer feeds properly.

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:21 pm

You may have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5912

I just posted some tips and a R3D-N2-Profile for BVOH and ABS that works for me.
I know BVOH is not cheap - but it does the trick (at least for me) and dissolves quite quick in water.
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Tinkerer wrote:You may have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5912

I just posted some tips and a R3D-N2-Profile for BVOH and ABS that works for me.
I know BVOH is not cheap - but it does the trick (at least for me) and dissolves quite quick in water.

Thanks! I was thinking about ordering some BVOH. It seems to dissolve very well.

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:07 pm

"Thanks! I was thinking about ordering some BVOH. It seems to dissolve very well."

Most of the times, yes.
Sometimes it leaves a bit of remains on the prints that is hard to remove.
Warm water + an electrice tooth-brush (with an old brush, naturally;-) helps.
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 am

something I just noticed about the Hydrofill that I received, it is a smaller diameter than it should be (mine is ~1.69 mm) and the feed gear is not gripping it properly, this could have caused a feed issue that in turn left it in the nozzle causing a clog. could you check your filament's diameter to see if this is an across the board issue or just an issue with my spool?

Return to “General”