N1 Quick Start: Z-axis clamp?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
krohelm

N1 Quick Start: Z-axis clamp?

Postby krohelm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:24 am

In the quick start guide for my new N1 (man this printer is gorgeous!) it tells me to remove the Z axis clamp holding the Z axis in place for shipping. I have nothing on my printer that looks like a clamp on the Z axis. and definitely no 3mm hex screws as the guide clearly indicates.

Also, the quick start guide tells me to gently lift the printer's z axis by hand to remove the box underneath. Is there a trick to this? I have carefully escalated to holding the Z axis frame by the rods where it has strong, direct support and nearly lifted the printer while applying smooth, upward pressure on the Z axis. It doesn't move!

I don't want to damage my printer by turning it on. Can you advise?

IMAG2505.jpg

IMAG2506.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: N1 Quick Start: Z-axis clamp?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 am

Sorry for the mistake. We have already updated the Quick Starter Guide for N1 on our website already. There is no Z clamp on N1. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1069/ ... 1642770530

For how to rise the build plate, please do forget to remove the fixing rope first. Then rotate the Z leadscrew and the build plate will up together with the leadscrew rotating.
If the space around leadscrew is too small for you to rotate. Please power on the machine and use screen to control the Z direction up.
We should have move the Power Cord with the latest batch from accessory box to protective foam. Please check whether you can find it or not.
Any technical problem is very welcome to make contact with us directly. Shoot us a mail to support@raise3d.com, if you have any further doubt.

krohelm

Postby krohelm » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:23 am

Thanks Vicky! I got it just by manually turning the Z leadscrew. New printer, unsure of what liberties I can safely take. I'll be good at N1's before long. This thing has revived my love of printing, it just immediately worked great. Seriously good product here :-D

Some thoughts on my first 48 hours:

I'm excited to try some JetGuy improvements, eventually maybe I'll reach out for a Mosaic Palette+... but for now this thing prints like a champ. Bed leveling was a cinch, first print was functional and flawless, the screen/tablet is way more useful than I expected.

Maybe consider adding a non-root user who's home directory is the print dir? I added a user, symlinked it from /home/root and added an ssh authorized_keys file to securely and conveniently copy stl's to my N1 over wifi. It seems pretty obvious for Raise3d to do something like this for your firmware rather than having people ssh to your machines as root! Folder watch on my Simplify3d stl folder and rsync will make my print preparation workflow a breeze!

Firmware update process is not easily discoverable, but works fine once you figure out how to do it.

The plexi top cover does not fit! The convolute tubing for the wiring conflicts with the lid, making it push up and potentially fall off.

There are multiple screws around the printer that are not bottomed out. They are tight, but not in all the way. I don't know if this is normal.

Lid that doesn't stay down because of stiff convolute tubing and vertical entry of tubing into print head:
IMAG2510.jpg

Screws that don't bottom out, where all the other ones do... Is this right?
IMAG2509.jpg

IMAG2507.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 am

Taken notes about the security request. Will check whether we can

Firmware update refers to touchscreen update? Attach the USB storage and reboot the machine? Do you have any advise about how to show the process to users more clearly?

For the top cover, can you see there is a label on the top of it? If so, which corner it currently is located at? The length of X and Y direction are not the same.

The screws shown out in your pictures are properly installed. One is for fixing the hotend. The other is on sliding block at left side rod. Actually not the one on right side, but an extra at front side rod, it out of the block. On both of the two crossing rods, we only designed one end to have a hole (right and rear) to pass the fixing screw to fix its position. And the other two ends, the fixing screws just touch the rods, but not totally tightened.

krohelm

Postby krohelm » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 am

Security request is pretty basic, I'm sure your engineers can come up with a simple way to bring it to the masses. Either way, I'm very pleased that your embedded busybox command set had the necessary commands to set it up myself!!

For the firmware update process, the firmware update page didn't clearly communicate that I had 2 firmwares to update. I inferred it, and saw that the update process was to reboot with the file on an sd card. For the motion controller firmware, I found on some forum post somewhere that you "print" the firmware. There's some update button in the settings page on the display, but I don't think it does anything. Maybe that button could pop up instructions or it could be enriched to actually trigger firmware updates? I'm all set now & won't have any difficulty in the future, but others may run into this while bootstrapping their machines.

Thank you for confirming the correctness of what I'm observing with the screws. Definitely loving this printer!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:03 am

We should have already listed the updating process in download center on our website.
If the explanation is not such obvious enough, we can Bold or Enlarge the font size.
1.png
2.png

krohelm

Postby krohelm » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 am

"Select the firmware file and press 'OK' to update" left me confused about where to select the file, especially as there was an inactive firmware update button in the settings menu. It was not obvious to me that I should "print" the firmware file, but maybe I'm just dense haha. Like I say, I'm all set on this now :-)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:57 am

Will share your thoughts of instruction pages of touchscreen with software team.
Thanks for your suggestion!

Return to “General”