Major Layer Shifting

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Romanazzi96
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 am

Major Layer Shifting

Postby Romanazzi96 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:28 am

Hi there,

Im new to the 3D printing world and I purchased a n2 plus a few months ago and have had it running practically every day since, learning things through trial and error as i go, but I'm stuck with a big issue i can't seem to figure out. I keep having major layer shifting on my tall prints, roughly about 15 hours in every time. After messing up quite a few prints I've narrowed it down to whats going on. The print Nozzle seems to be hitting the print and getting stuck causing the belts to skip and throwing everything out of calibration. This happens on the X axis every time. Im not sure if the print bed sticks at a certain point or whats going on but i can't figure it out. ill attach a few pictures, if you look close you will see where the nozzle hit the print and stuck to it. Some one please help!
Attachments
IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_5079.JPG
IMG_4786.JPG

User avatar
Casale8
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: The Real Upstate New York

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Casale8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Have you lubricated your shafts?
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Tinkerer
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Tinkerer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Do you print using just one nozzle?
If so, it is a good idea to put lift second (right) nozzle up.

Another thing you can try is to use the "Z-Hop"-function.
You'll find that on the "Extruder" Tab after you clicked "Advanced" in the slicing settings.
I have found some 0.05mm to be enough most of the times.

One reason could be that your printed material expands over time - what are you using?
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

Romanazzi96
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Romanazzi96 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 am

Casale8 wrote:Have you lubricated your shafts?

I Haven't lubricated the shafts they still seem to have grease on them

Romanazzi96
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Romanazzi96 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:27 am

Tinkerer wrote:Do you print using just one nozzle?
If so, it is a good idea to put lift second (right) nozzle up.

Another thing you can try is to use the "Z-Hop"-function.
You'll find that on the "Extruder" Tab after you clicked "Advanced" in the slicing settings.
I have found some 0.05mm to be enough most of the times.

One reason could be that your printed material expands over time - what are you using?


My second nozzle is lifted all the way up, i do have z hop set at .03 but i do here the nozzle scrape sometimes so the material might be expanding. I'm printing with PLA

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 3618
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 am

If it will have similar layer shifting problem with some simple structure models but can reach to the same height as the model you have problem with? Or only shifts on this model?

Romanazzi96
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Romanazzi96 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:If it will have similar layer shifting problem with some simple structure models but can reach to the same height as the model you have problem with? Or only shifts on this model?

I Have had this happen on some other prints as well.

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 3618
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:57 am

And always at Y direction?

Romanazzi96
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Romanazzi96 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:33 am

yes seems to be in the Y direction everytime.

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 3618
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 am

It may need to you to do some electronic check if problem keeps happening at the same direction. It needs some steps. We'd like to ask you to shoot us a ticket so that our engineer can help follow your problem step by step.
Here is the link: http://help.raise3d.com/helpdesk

skapin
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby skapin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:53 pm

I do have the same trouble on 2 brand new raise N2 plus.
Shifting even usign a big ZHOP, no wrapping, but always at the same emplacement on the print.
I suspect IDEAMAKER to generate a BAD GCODE or something close to it.

I'm strugeling this this issue for more than 1 month. Some of my big print (U shaped like yours) failed

Buse 0.8, layer height 0.25, small print, all good (belt, lub, etc...) and on 2 brand new raise ... I'm desesperate ...
I'm trying to print with a different slicer software (like cura or slic3r) to confirm this.

Romanazzi96
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Romanazzi96 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:44 pm

After a lot of Forum Reading and poor help from the raise3d engineers (who never even replied to my last email) and rolls of filament later, i have finally solved the problem. First i Upgraded to the Bondtech Dual Extruders. Awesome Product and much lighter then the stock set up. I realized i was experiencing thermal shut down which seems extreme but for some reason it was happening. So i opened up the electronics box and found a bunch of dust, blew it all out and now i run my prints with the cover off. Now the Major layer shifting was solved but i was still experiencing slight layer shift that was still ruining my parts. I Lowered my voltage on the X&Y stepper driver motors from .9 down to .85 and the now I'm getting fast and near perfect Prints. After learning most of this information from JetGuy posts, i have placed an order to switch out my stock stepper driver motors to Panucatts.

Romanazzi96
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby Romanazzi96 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm

skapin wrote:I do have the same trouble on 2 brand new raise N2 plus.
Shifting even usign a big ZHOP, no wrapping, but always at the same emplacement on the print.
I suspect IDEAMAKER to generate a BAD GCODE or something close to it.

I'm strugeling this this issue for more than 1 month. Some of my big print (U shaped like yours) failed

Buse 0.8, layer height 0.25, small print, all good (belt, lub, etc...) and on 2 brand new raise ... I'm desesperate ...
I'm trying to print with a different slicer software (like cura or slic3r) to confirm this.

Its not your Gcode, but If you want to use another slicer try Simplify3d. Prints are much faster and their settings seem more user friendly. see my last reply for the solution to the shifting.

EldRick
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 am

Re: Major Layer Shifting

Postby EldRick » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Or try Cura, which betters S3D in many ways, and is free to use.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests