New N2 Plus Setup

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
jevans

New N2 Plus Setup

Postby jevans » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi.

New owner of an N2 Plus delivered yesterday and I would like to offer some feedback.

Everything looks great, but for $4,000.00, one would expect it to be ready to print right out of the box. On my dual nozzle setup, the right (idle) nozzle is lower than the left one. So, how do I adjust that? Is it the Z-axis thumbscrew, the wiki instructions to adjust dual nozzle height, or do I adjust it though the Z-axis homing function on the tablet's utilities menu? The instructions are a little vague between the setup video, Quick Start guide and Wiki and I just want to make sure I follow the correct procedure for setting nozzle height.

Also, does the Z-axis thumbscrew actually move the Z-axis up and down manually, or is it just a set screw for the stop position?

Other than that, the unit looks great, very high quality and fast shipping.

Hopefully, I can get it adjusted and get a test print going today.

Thanks in advance

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: New N2 Plus Setup

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi Jevans,

Thank you for reaching out and checking on this information. For adjusting the nozzle heights you will want to adjust them manually, use this video as a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bv5rPm ... rfX4n7aLru

Normally we adjust the nozzles so that one is higher than the other out of the box to ensure that one the Z-Height is set the user is able to begin printing right away. Because our system is a hard set adjustment (not a swing action) both nozzles need to be at almost exactly the same height or one be slightly offset to run dual extrusion.

The Z-Axis thumb screw will adjust the distance to when the bed contacts the endstop. First you will use the "Home" button on the Utility's menu for the Z axis and allow the Z to home. From there you will check the nozzle gap with a shim and adjust the thumb screw a up or down according to the kind of gap you need.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with us directly if you need anything further.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

jevans

Postby jevans » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks, that's what I needed. I found that when I removed the fan, the set screw for the right nozzle was loose, which is obviously why that nozzle was lower. It's the proper height now. Which raises the question, why should I need to check any bolts or screws on a factory-new unit?

After getting the nozzles adjusted, I printed the 20mm sample box and noticed that when the print head moves in the X-ahgxis(?? Left-to-right), there is a noticeable vibration and slight noise, as if it's binding somewhat. It doesn't happen with every movement, small traversals seem to be ok... It's seems like it's only when starting a new layer in that axis.

Wiki says to check all screws, but is this an indication that they're too loose or too tight? What if I don't find a screw on that axis that's too loose OR too tight? There seems to be enough grease.

Thanks again

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:09 am

What about the print result? Any obvious defects on the model?
For the noise, please shoot us a support ticket (help.raise3d.com) and attach a video which can show us the noise. We will arrange a support engineer to help follow up your problem.

We are so sorry for all the problems you meet.

jevans

Postby jevans » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 pm

The print quality is excellent.

The first print didn't stick - operator error.

Second was perfect.

I'll try to capture a video of the noise.

Thanks for the support

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 am

jevans wrote:Which raises the question, why should I need to check any bolts or screws on a factory-new unit?
Shipping a machine shakes stuff loose. I design million dollar automation equipment. It needs to be checked over and adjusted when it gets to its final destination. It's standard operating procedure for machinery. Also, it's assembled by humans and as hard as we might try, we aren't perfect.

jevans

Postby jevans » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello.

I reprinted the 20mm sample box and shot a short video of the X-axis vibrations. They begin at about 10 seconds.

I don't see an option for uploading video and it failed as an attachment, so here's a link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15w0E8KJfuApOpuu6vJp_yIjaLpvT7iM0

Thanks for your support.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 am

Would you like to share the video onto our support system via the following link: http://help.raise3d.com/support/home ?
We may need to ask more information about your machine and your purchase to know what we can do for your machine.

jevans

Postby jevans » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:26 am

Hello.

I submitted a ticket, sent in a video of the noise, unscrewed the bearings retightened them and now the vibrations seem to be gone, however in following the tech's instructions to loosen the bearing blocks, one of the screws was missing.

I informed him of that at 9:00 last night and offered to pick up a screw rather than have you guys ship one out... I really am trying to remain patient and civil... I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a response some time the next day with the info on the screw. Instead I got a reply that he'll have to look them up. Couldn't someone have just responded with the screw size?

Again, I am not trying to be difficult and not blaming anyone. I am even willing to drive and go pick up the screw... I'm simply trying to resolve the issue.

Thank you

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:27 am

Hi Jevans,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner in the ticket, unfortunately this was not something I knew off the top of my head and would have to ask one of my colleges in the other office. The screw should be an M3x16.

Thank you,
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Return to “General”