First Post, Looking for WebCam suggestion

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Casale8

First Post, Looking for WebCam suggestion

Postby Casale8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 pm

This is my first post here. Raise 3D N2 is en route. Delivery is expected Tuesday. We're stoked.

Looking to set-up a camera to view prints. It will be wired and within a firewall. The network side and how we access the camera is covered so I am not concerned about that.

I am specifically curious to know what camera's have been used?

Feedback, and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance folks.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

walshlg

Re: First Post, Looking for WebCam suggestion

Postby walshlg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:38 pm

no specific recs BUT most webcams have the lens set to focus on too far a distance. Some can autofocus BUT you must put a plain background right next to the print bed or they will try to focus on the farthest object they see, or you can get a fixed focus one, open it up and break the glue on the lense holder and adjust the focus yourself.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:40 pm

@Casale8,

We are working on a Camera system right now but we are still in development of the product at this time.

Personally, I use a Nest Outdoor webcam, I just mounted it to a corner in my room and can see all my printers any time of the day or night. To each their own.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks. I like the idea of the nest camera, but I'm interested in temproarily mounting one aside the enclosure (until a specific camera is developed or chosen by RAISE) to be able to view the print bed.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

tja

Postby tja » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:10 pm

I use a Foscam C1, it's a small wifi IP cam, but it can also be accessed via ethernet. The resolution isn't that great, but it's good enough to see the usual problems that occur from time to time. I have it set up just outside the printer, about 3cm away from the perspex and it images the whole of the printer table nicely. I bought it when Amazon were doing a deal and got about 1/3 off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T7NX6SY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mathusala

Postby Mathusala » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:43 am

Was looking for a solution as well as I just got my N2, looks like amazon just came out with a cloud cam that integrates into alexa... i.e. I could be watching videos on my firestick and ask alexa to show me my printer and have it feed right to my tv to check a print then go back to my show. Sounds like a cool concept at any rate and its a 1080p ip camera for $120. Gonna try it and will let you know if it works as advertised.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Mathusala wrote:Was looking for a solution as well as I just got my N2, looks like amazon just came out with a cloud cam that integrates into alexa... i.e. I could be watching videos on my firestick and ask alexa to show me my printer and have it feed right to my tv to check a print then go back to my show. Sounds like a cool concept at any rate and its a 1080p ip camera for $120. Gonna try it and will let you know if it works as advertised.

Cloud based Intellectual Property (IP) storage is a dangerous idea.
What we print can't be shared in a cloud.
-SCC

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 pm

I use a Logitech c920 on a raspberry pi for print monitoring. It's auto focus and I've never had any issues with a print being out of focus. It's roughly 14 inches away from the center of my bed. Good picture quality and decent frame rate.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:41 pm

"We are working on a Camera system right now but we are still in development of the product at this time. "

Apparently this takes many months, as it is supposed to have been in development for more than a year. Maybe available by 2019?

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:34 pm

@EldRick,

We can see how some people may get frustrated with an item like this not being completed yet, I can assure you we are still working on the camera system. Sometimes other projects have to brought up to the top of the queue and that can delay other non-critical parts. Hopefully we will be able to disclose more information soon, until then we can only wait.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:47 pm

@Michael

Priorities, I'm 100% with you. Printer and bug fixes first, additional options later.
-SCC

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 am

Still waiting for Raise3D...

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 pm

EldRick wrote:Still waiting for Raise3D...

longest drrrrrrrrum rollllllll ever
-SCC

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 pm

I have the Logitech C922 streaming to YouTube live via OSB studio from an iMac. Works ok. But the depth of field is very narrow. Only a few mm. (I have it mounted on the outside of the door of the printer)

Return to “General”