Printing speed

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
jonashansen

Printing speed

Postby jonashansen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing a 3D printer in the near future and N2 model has caught my eye. Print quality looks really good, but I have a question in regards to printing/moving speed. Since I know nothing about 3D printing, I decided to ask here.

Is there a difference in printing/moving speed when using a printer model with 2 nozzles compared to a singe-nozzle one?

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: Printing speed

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi Jonashansen,

There are two questions that have been asked here that are being blended into one. First we have movement speed versus printing speed. To give you a good example, our default printing speed on a standard profile is around 50mm/s and our print head movement speed is around 100mm/s. When you use dual extrusion you are not going to be using both nozzles at the exact same time, they take turns. So for example the left will be active first and the right will wait until the left nozzle layer is done and then begin. There is a trade off time between the nozzles when the print head shifts to a new position so your printing time will increase by a little more than double when compared to a single extrusion version of the same print. The actual speed of movement for the nozzles will not change if running single or dual.

Being that you are new to printing I encourage you to ask as many questions as you can come up with. There are a great many people in this forum who are more than happy to provide their thoughts on a wide variety of topics.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 pm

The counter side of this and potentially what was being asked:
Should you buy a dual or single extruder?
If we are talking about the Raise 3D N series- all printers are capable of being upgraded to a dual extruder.

My personal vote is buy a single extruder. If you are new to 3D printing, the last thing you need is another extruder nozzle to adjust and level. Secondary to that, master single nozzle printing before you even consider dual nozzle printing.
What's the first thing we say when a new person gets a dual exruder and tries to print some huge object that takes 10-20 hours and it fails due to a nozzle strike? That's right, remove the second nozzle if not the second feeder motor too.

And given the aftermarket upgrade options and again, every single Raise 3D sold, the electronics already supports dual extruder that be something you must have. But there are other options such as the mosaic palette+ that means the need and complexity of a second nozzle may not even be required.

So again, my vote if asking- buy a single extruder.
You will likely have an easier starting experience
You carry around less moving mass on prints because you are not swinging around a second unused extruder.
The idea that if one clogs and you use the other- let's just put that little myth to rest
Single extruder comes with a better layer print cooling fan- not a factory option for a dual extruder (can be added with printable after market DIY solutions)
And, you save a couple of $ over a dual extruder model.

jonashansen

Postby jonashansen » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:42 am

Michael, thank you for your answer. It makes perfect sense that printing a multicolored object would take twice as long.

I have another question about speed. You have mentioned in your post that default printing speed is around 50mm/s and the movement speed is around 100mm/s. However, when I read printer specifications it says the maximum printing speed is 150mm/s and nozzle movement - 300mm/s. How can I achieve these faster times? Is it via printer settings? And if yes, would the print quality decrease if I increase printing and/or movement speed?

Jetguy, thanks for the advice. I was also more in favor of a single nozzle option for starters. I still have a lot to learn before I could confidently move to more advanced technology.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:32 am

The suggested speed will be more like a balanced one, good quality and not such slow to finish the printing task. And yes, increasing the printing speed will decrease the quality of printing result.
Here is our testing result of 3 times of the default printing speed: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1779&p=15260&hilit=300%25#p15260

Return to “General”