Full maintenance teardown - what should I replace/upgrade?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
gizmo91

Full maintenance teardown - what should I replace/upgrade?

Postby gizmo91 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:03 am

So I need to replace the faulty ribbon cable which looks like its going to be a major undertaking, so I decided after about 9 months of non-stop printing, I should just take a weekend and do a full maintenance teardown. Would like input on what to replace/upgrade/maintain?

- Replace ribbon cable - order from R3D? Not sure what the black wrap is on the current one.
- Replace faulty LCD screen - order from Amazon
- Add reset button - simple momentary button/JP connector
- Redo cables out the bottom of main board to allow better airflow
- Add fan behind touchscreen (? - saw they added this on newer machines - any recommendation on parts/how to?)
- Reroute second LED strip wiring with other wires
- Recheck/level bed (actually never had to level it before but will check to make sure its still fine)

Maintenance
- Retighten all screws (except the z-axis platform ones)
- Re-grease all rods
- Install new nozzle
- Replace fans
- Replace heater rod / temp sensor on left extruder
- Replace end switches (had one fall apart on me)
- General cleaning of interior/exterior

Brad

Re: Full maintenance teardown - what should I replace/upgrade?

Postby Brad » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 am

Dont get to carried away by pulling apart the top of the printer to replace the 14 pin IDC ribbon cable. Why? They always fail, I have gone through 6 of them and one of them was faulty. The current ones have lasted a while. I tend to know when they are failing as the temps on the extruders go a little haywire.
Thats 6 of them over two printers though.
Looking through your list, I do most of those as well, though I tend to have quite a lot of spare parts just in case, like extra ribbons, extra nozzles, extra switches etc.
Can you link to the LCD screen that you get from amazon?
Cheers,
Brad

gizmo91

Postby gizmo91 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:00 am

Jetguy posted the link in the screensaver/lock thread. Regarding the ribbon cable, how have you replaced it? Seems like a pain since its wrapped in a black tape like material and then bundled with the other connectors in another wrap. Also, it looks like the end connector won't fit through the cable chain.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:25 pm

i'll post an stl for a new breakout board tray that is on cold end. The current one has thermocouple wires coming in from below and making a hard right turn at the connectors = poor design and will eventually break the thermocouple wires. My mod has wires coming from beneath. If you don't have the v2 thermocouples, id take the time to replace them.

gizmo91

Postby gizmo91 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:58 pm

walshlg wrote:i'll post an stl for a new breakout board tray that is on cold end. The current one has thermocouple wires coming in from below and making a hard right turn at the connectors = poor design and will eventually break the thermocouple wires. My mod has wires coming from beneath. If you don't have the v2 thermocouples, id take the time to replace them.

awesome - can you post before this weekend as that may be d-day :)

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:43 pm

ok installing it after a print tomorrow and I'll post if the fit is good.

Return to “General”