Dual extrusion prints

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
mhayduk

Dual extrusion prints

Postby mhayduk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:29 pm

We're getting ready to purcjase an N2 and was wondering how successful people have neen making dual nozzel prints, soluble supports, two color and 2 material. Shared pictures would really be appreciated, thanks.

bellatrixzen

Re: Dual extrusion prints

Postby bellatrixzen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Hi there!
Dual extrusion. Yes. I have a N2+ dual, and it performs the same as my Qidi Tech 1 dual for dual extrusion prints. Albeit the N2 at higher resolution etc etc.
Here's the deal with dual extrusion. It works, but it is always gonna be messy.
Getting supports off when u print with solubles? Yep it leaves less scarring, but in certain circumstances certain filaments also expand and can crack prints when you submerge them even though they are gooey and easy to pull out and leave no scars.

My advice to you is don't think dual extrusion is going to produce a kick butt end result that is flawless. I did. I was wrong.

As far as successful prints, yep a whole bunch of us have done them. It just takes a fair amount of tweaking your printer settings, learning how the filaments work, and reading the forums. Dual extrusion automatically adds a X2 to the learning curve in my opinion.
Asking if a N2 series printer is going to be your answer is not going to yield a response other than "sure!". It works!
Does it work better than other printers? Maybe. If you take the time to tune it, yes it does! But you need to invest that time.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 am

Here are some pictures of our test about dual extrude with PLA and PVA printing together.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=960&p=9040

Not easy to find the perfect settings and options in short time, but once you find them, the result will be always be good.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:37 pm

I find the biggest difficulty is in aligning Z on the 2 heads. The set screw that holds the isolation tube has a cupped end. THerefore when you tighten it bites into the metal and raises / or lowers it as you turn the set screw. I find that I get best results by careful eyeballing!

mhayduk

Postby mhayduk » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks for all the responses. We just took delivery of our N2+ yesterday and so far, couldn't be happier...but the jury is still out! Our last 3D printing experience ended with a return (thankfully) and a really bad opinion of a certain company. The N2 was unboxed in less than a half hour and set up the same. Our first PLA print printed just perfect, with out of the box settings. The way 3D printing "should" work.
Printing with ABS today, and going smooth so far. We'll dive into some PVA prints as soon as we feel they are needed. But, so far the supports and raft peel away so easily, it will be special circumstances to warrant PVA. We're all too familiar with the gooo from our last experience! felt we had to use PVA for everything because supports were horrible, regardless of settings, dozens tried.
Again, thanks for the feedback, we're also super stoked, looking through this forum, finding such an open and helpful group. As we get hip deep we'll certainly be diving in where we can.

Return to “General”