Flawed Printing

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Omojesu

Flawed Printing

Postby Omojesu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Hello,

Can anyone explain why this flat print is flawed and shows a ripple in form of an arc? download/file.php?

The heated build plate and Buildtak are smooth and undamaged.
The raft is also perfect with no undulations.
I use two glass plates, swapped them but the arc still showed up.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3855.JPG

Jetguy

Re: Flawed Printing

Postby Jetguy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:56 pm

I assume you have a dual extruder printer?
What I see is not enough infill percentage coupled with minimal roof layers and lack of cooling or too high of an extrusion temp. That is why you see the waffle patter of the infill. Then as to this arc, Since it's an offset and likely in the X axis, and the non-printing nozzle of second extruder is offset in X, and that could have damaged the infill in an arc patter matching the perimeter- I'd say there is your culprit.

#1 remove or adjust the second nozzle out of the way.
#2 Lower extrusion temp, increase infill percentage, increase number of roof layers, and lower extrusion temp 5-10C. Consider if you go to single extruder mode, adding the single extruder 50mm cooling fan and duct and plug it into the gcode controlled output.
Attachments
Second extruder nozzle marking print.jpg

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for your response.
Yes, its a dual extruder but I have removed the idle nozzle because I find that it invariably fouls support and ruins my flat prints; thanks for pointing this out.
I was printing in ABS at around 240°C.

The infill % solution noted, thanks.

With the idle nozzle out of the way, I will wait to see the outcome in my ongoing print.

Again, many thanks

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I was printing in ABS at around 240°C.

Yes, this is a good temp for ABS, but again, without enough roof layers (I recommend 5 or a rule of 1mm total) that's why you see what I call the waffle top. Put it this way, 3 is the bare minimum layers to get a sealed top. This is because first layer bridges over the infill and is never a perfect layer. Layer 2 is 90 degrees to the first layer bridge and makes it stronger, but cannot cover up defects and is not air or water tight. Layer 3 is bare minimum cosmetic layer and gain, in many cases just not cutting the mustard here. 5 layers gives you a chance that most defects will be "smoothed out" and gives good wall strength. I say 5 layers or the 1mm rule, because say you use 0.1mm layer height. Well 5 layers is only 0.5mm thick. Average layer height and default for 90% of all prints is 2mm layer height. Thus 5 layers @ 0.2mm layer height is 1mm total.
IdeamakerFloors and Roofs.jpg

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Again much appreciated, but I did use 5 layers and the waffle showed but now I think it is because infill was only 10%.

On the original problem, after removing the idle nozzle, the arc vanished, good job.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:20 am

5-layer is the default setting. If your model has very large flat surface needs solid top, increasing infill density and quantity of top solid layer is necessary.
The layer quantity depends on the layer thickness you set. Normally we recommend at least 0.7mm for normal structures. Which means, if you are using 0.15mm layer height, you need at least 5 layers. If 0.1mm layer height, then at least 7 layers.
With your large infill size, you may need to set more top solid layers based on the result you got before.

Omojesu

Postby Omojesu » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks Vicky

Return to “General”