Plans for 3kg Filament Spools?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
mitchfx

Plans for 3kg Filament Spools?

Postby mitchfx » Thu May 05, 2016 6:39 pm

It would be great if Raise3D would offer their filament in a bigger size spool for doing very large prints. With the N2 Plus it is very easy to exceed 1kg with a single print job, and not having to deal with dual extrusion or pause/load/continue would be nice.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Plans for 3kg Filament Spools?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 06, 2016 2:23 am

mitchfx wrote:It would be great if Raise3D would offer their filament in a bigger size spool for doing very large prints. With the N2 Plus it is very easy to exceed 1kg with a single print job, and not having to deal with dual extrusion or pause/load/continue would be nice.

We can prepare bigger size spool for large prints. But we haven't find a perfect position inside the printer to attach the bigger size spool. We are trying to develop a bigger size spool holder which will be located outside of the printer. Once we find a good solution will share stl here.
What's more, we haven't receive enough feedback from those who wants to printing large prints with our bigger size spool filament. So we have no plan to prepare it now.

jmp

Postby jmp » Fri May 06, 2016 9:54 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:What's more, we haven't receive enough feedback from those who wants to printing large prints with our bigger size spool filament. So we have no plan to prepare it now.

In the beginning we were told that bigger spools were coming, hence why you haven't heard any requests since everyone thought raise3d was already working on it. If you are selling printers that print 300x300x600 then yes the users need bigger filament rolls. Having an n2+ I definitely would like to see larger rolls.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 06, 2016 10:00 am

Whoever wants larger spool of filament, please leave a message here.
We could order 2Kg, 3Kg or even 5Kg per spool, please also state your preference.
As for now, there is no way to put the larger spool inside the printer so the filament will be fed into the printer from a filament stand.
We need to see how many people have such needs to evaluate whether we could offer this.

jmp

Postby jmp » Fri May 06, 2016 12:28 pm

I think I would like to see a 3kg.

For comparison for Makersbot's Z18 (which the n2+ has a 33% bigger build area than) offers larger rolls in 2.23kg and 4.46kg sizes.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

mitchfx

Postby mitchfx » Fri May 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks for the reply Vicky. It is great to know R3D is looking into this. I might suggest trying another way to do a survey of how many people would be interested in the larger spools. Asking in this thread might not be the most accurate way to gauge demand from all customers :)

didde

Postby didde » Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 pm

I need bigger spools for my N2+ or a spool holder with the holder in the middle that we could add to the printer

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Fri May 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Problem with bigger spools now is that they are often too wide and you will have to keep the door open.

I think for single extruders (or duals using 1 extruder at that time) you could make a mount that hooks in on both sides at the same level (we have 4 places to put spools 2 per level) and make a new holder in the middle.

For future N2 PLUS printers it might be handy to make a few more bars with spool options so we could even fit 2 big rolls.

If raise3d wants to go this route they will prob have to order their custom spoolsize (max 7cm deep) and upto 30 cm or so wide (counting you mount it in the middle) No clue what the max is you can fit on a spool that size but that would be an easy printable solution (for single extruder) for dual we would need more of them bars on the bottom.

This wont be possible on an N2 though so this system is only possible on N2 with single extruder used

*i have not done this mod yet myself*

swampy

Postby swampy » Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 pm

as zettlinger says ive got 1kg spools that I tried to use but wont fit in unless I have the door open as they to wide which dont help with abs so I'm using up my narrow 1kg spools so I can transfer it from 1 spool to another hopefully with out any tangles if anyone has any ideas

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Fri May 06, 2016 6:42 pm

i bought some rolls from a brand called "REAL" through reprapworld.com (dutch company) and the spools have lines extruded on the outside.

They get stuck on the spoolholder with the logo because of the edges (hint, make it round next time and then emboss your logo on the round face)

I put in a piece of cardboard for now to keep it from getting stuck :)

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Sun May 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Once we launch the solution of larger spool. It will include an external filament tray which we planned that could be printed. So never imagine to put a 3kg spool inside the printer. They are too big to be made into a thin piece of cake. And it's hard for the extruder to handle a large diameter spool.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

Raizer04

Postby Raizer04 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Count me in, i need large spools to feed my need to print :)

Thomarann

Postby Thomarann » Mon May 09, 2016 4:37 am

3-5kg please.

Marc
Marc. N2 Dual

fponticelli

Postby fponticelli » Mon May 09, 2016 5:13 pm

+1

ncosman

Postby ncosman » Mon May 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Yes please!

whoaa512

Postby whoaa512 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:33 am

Also would love to see 3kg spools

acidreian

Postby acidreian » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:40 am

Hey Guy's I have created an external Spool Holder for filament which can be modified to hold any roll of filament. It's Quite simple I will Post an STL Shortly.

mglogue

Postby mglogue » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Did anything come from this thread? I am doing prints that require in excess of 3KG per print and manually switching out 1KG spools isn't a good solution. I can build one of the many I find online but I would prefer a solution engineered by Raise3D for my printer (Dual extruder N2+). The solution needs to properly handle the added weight of the larger spool -- the feed mechanism can only pull so much weight, so the solution needs to turn easily enough that it does not stress the filament feed mechanism, it needs to correctly handle the changing angles of the filament as the feeder moves across the X and Y axis, and it needs to ensure that not too much filament is pulled from the spool so that the excess doesn't get caught in the machine by the moving hot ends. And, lastly, it should look like it belongs with my printer.

Is this being worked on?

mnew

Postby mnew » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:14 pm

3kg spools would be useful for keeping the costs down as well

Meebert

Postby Meebert » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:23 pm

I'd love to be able to work with 3kg spools as well, Polymaker offers them but Raise3D does not carry any, even though they offer other materials from Polymaker.

Return to “General”