N1 vs N2 print quality.

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
mitchfx

N1 vs N2 print quality.

Postby mitchfx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:43 pm

I currently have a N2 Plus along with a few other 3D printers (FDM and SLA) and looking for a unit to replace my aging Dremel Idea Builder which has been a workhorse for over 2 years now. I'm considering getting the N1 but also looking at the Ultimaker 2+, Craftbot Plus and the Lulzbot Taz6.

I'm curious if the print quality of the N1 matches or exceeds the N2 in terms of resolution, layer consistency and ringing. My experience with the N2 Plus has been mixed but overall positive. The idea of adding another Raise3D unit to the fleet is appealing just from the perspective of familiarity and consistency but I want to buy a printer that will give me the least amount of issues and frustration.

Jetguy

Re: N1 vs N2 print quality.

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Because the N1 is a smaller build area, the same rods and thus flex of those rods is less. So generally, my impression owning all 3 (N1, N2, and N2Plus) is the N1 technically is the least artifacts of any of them, simply because the shear mechanics of it, a shorter beam is more rigid than a longer beam of the same material and OD. The electronics are the same as the larger printers, the only difference is that a 400 watt VS the 480 Watt Meanwell PSU is in the N1. Given that the heated bed is smaller, even 400 Watts is more than adequate with a massive safety factor. Again, at most events (Maker Faire, MRRF) I was sporting an N1 and using it with the Mosaic Palette because I could crank out reliable and near perfect prints every single time with an ease of transportability compared to the larger models. Seriously, I love my N1 the most. I'd gladly take it over even a UM3 and realize I could have 2 N1s for that same price as the expensive UM3.

Now all said, I'm also sporting some mods on mine. #1 Bondtech extruder upgrade #2 quiet fans by adding a 5v regulator to the motion controller blower #3 removed the side windows and front door since I print almost exclusively PLA in this printer, used a braided flex loom over the extruder cable arch VS the stock split loom tube. #4 added second LED strip but I think that's standard now? #5 using the hard coated nozzles as sold in the store as an upgrade from the stock brass nozzle. #6 almost forgot, I did add braces to my Z stage to make it even stiffer than stock.

Bottom line, the N1 is still my favorite printer. My only hesitation is that price wise, when compared to the value of the N2 and N2 Plus, it seems expensive for the build area. But again, as a baseline, they all use the same electronics, they all have the same basic XY motion system and extruder, the machine and frame is built like a brick outhouse. So it's just a matter of the electronics and hardware have a baseline cost, the N1 is the smaller printer, the N2 and N2 plus are a jump up in size and cost, but when you start shopping around, the value and just shear mass of the N2 and N2 Plus, you are getting a LOT of hardware for the money. For me, having the fleet of all 3, every single one has it's place. The N1 is the preferred printer most of the time when whatever print will fit in the build space, the N2 for larger parts that simply need the build space and the N2 Plus for those projects that just are insane. And, say like today when I'm printing the vending machine that has a bunch of parts, all 3 are working in parallel and the parts printed on any one of them will interchange and fit to parts printed on the others and for the most part, even with a trained eye, you would have trouble defining what was printed on what printer.

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks Jet Guy, How would you rate the N1 v the ultimaker 2 (which is another I have) or the ultimaker 3?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:48 pm

N1 over either UM1 or UM2.

Deepspaceobject

Postby Deepspaceobject » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi JetGuy,

Could you please go into more detail with regard to the mods you made to your N1? I have just bought an N1 and love the build quality of the machine but the fan or fans are So noisy!! not sure if that is the hot end fans or the power supply cooling but would love to get it a bit quieter!

Brian

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:37 am

Would you like to send a video recording the sounds of your cooling with us? It should not be very noisy in normal cases.

Return to “General”