Glass plate cracked

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
chengl03

Glass plate cracked

Postby chengl03 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi everyone,

So, my glass plate cracked cause by the print bonding too strong to the plate with buildtak when I tried to remove the print. Either the nozzle is too close to the plate or I have to adjust the z-axis further away from the nozzle, which should I adjust when I get my orders or should I adjust something else? Also I think the heat plate is somehow curved slightly upward. I have some pictures below. Sorry for it not being the best pictures, these are from my phone camera.

I do have an extra glass plate (lucky I order a spare) but no more buildtak as this last print I printed was just changed to a new buildtak, but have just ordered spare buildtak so I have to wait until I get those to start printing again.
Attachments
Plate.jpg
Side of heat plate
top.jpg
Plate removed
back.jpg
Glass plate side
front.jpg
Buildtak side

walshlg

Re: Glass plate cracked

Postby walshlg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:24 pm

ouch! Submit help ticket, this may be involved and you'll need new glass. We all get head strikes occasionally but this looks bad.

Matthew Lozano

Postby Matthew Lozano » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 pm

If you need to get by until the new buildtak arrives you can use aqua net no sent extra hold hair spray, with the backup glass out of the printer give the glass a good thick coat and let it dry, after every couple of prints or so you can just give it a quick spray to refresh the hairspray layer where your print removes a small amount. The touch up sprays I tend to leave the glass in the printer just avoid overspray as much as you can and it helps to have the bed hot as it can reduce the overspray.

This is how I do all of my prints but on the N2 printer it just has buildtak under the hairspray, other printers are just hairspray on glass.

This is close to what i use, you might be able to find it locally.
https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Net-Extra-Professional-Unscented/dp/B003C6B48Q/ref=pd_lpo_194_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=9100Y4NF4EXSGXB3E056&th=1#customerReviews

As for the bent heater plate its not that a big deal, that is what the glass is for, nice and flat. However if use use binder clips to mount the glass it can cause the glass to bend, I recommend sticking the glass down with thermal pads.
Such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Thermal-Pad-0-5-Conductivity/dp/B00UYTT3I2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1492622965&sr=8-6&keywords=thermal+pad

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 am

Check the distance between nozzle and build surface, if you do any adjustment between them.
You'd better to check different points, especially the positions which your model will be at.
If you find model is very hard to remove, drop the Z down or take off the plate. That will more safe than do it on machine.

Return to “General”