Had my heart set on an Ultimaker 3 Extended printer...

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
DavidKim

Had my heart set on an Ultimaker 3 Extended printer...

Postby DavidKim » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:51 am

...but the build volume of the N2 Plus is simply too good to ignore.

Can someone please go over the pros and cons of each model? For one, I hear Ultimakers are extremely reliable machines. I don't know anyone personally who's used a Raise3D printer. Just about everyone I've spoken to has never heard of this brand.

cullymoto

Re: Had my heart set on an Ultimaker 3 Extended printer...

Postby cullymoto » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:00 pm

N2+ Cons:
The build plate is a bastard. Don't buy into the "never needs leveled" bullshit. I have to level mine about every week.
The extruder is heavy, heavy enough that it sags on the x-y rods, just a little but it's enough to affect the dimensional accuracy of the prints.
You will need to replace the brass nozzle to a harder metal if you wish to print anything other than pla (why do they even make brass the factory nozzle?)
You will likely break an isolation tube the first time you try to fix a plugged extruder head.
The buildtak is a pain in the ass, and you'll be either replacing that, or going a different route (suggest pei)
Setting the nozzle height is a pain, the grub screws that hold the nozzle height affect the nozzle height when tightened... It's a challenge to get a dual nozzle setup properly... And those screws tend to back out over time, and are hidden behind the fans.
The machine loves to leave "ringing" in the prints, as it has a jump movement under certain conditions (no ramp in acceleration speeds) which causes that previously mentioned heavy extruder head to wobble. That wobble = ringing.
The machine has a hard time with temps above 260C extruder. Heat creep into feed path tends to soften Filament which leads to jams. So while you can get it to heat to 300c, don't expect to make a 200+ hour print at those temps.

N2+ Pros:
It is a solid machine, and well built.
It's very quite, not silent but I sleep in the room next to it while it runs.
When setup properly it does give you good results and will run Materials that other machines can't do.
Parts are not impossible to find.
The software (ideamaker) is solid. Very nice to use and has a great balance between easy to use and powerful.
Direct drive extruder means you can print flexibles easier than Bowden machines.
Once you get the hang of it, it is simple to do the maintanence on it.
Technically needs no upgrades to print out of the box (will need a little help for materials other than pla/abs.
This community here is active, I've not seen many questions go un answered. Learn to listen to jetguy, he's a bit hard to take at first, but the dude should be running the show here.
Open source - if your into modifying things, you can do anything to this machine and the community is still quite supportive.

DavidKim

Re: Had my heart set on an Ultimaker 3 Extended printer...

Postby DavidKim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 am

Thanks cullymoto!!

Return to “General”