Carbon fiber filament

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Thierry

Carbon fiber filament

Postby Thierry » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Does the Raise3D printer work with carbon fiber filament like the one from Colorfabb? : http://colorfabb.com/xt-cf20

I know it's abrasive, should the nozzle be changed?

Jetguy

Re: Carbon fiber filament

Postby Jetguy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Yes, the nozzle should be changed to one listed in the store https://www.raise3d.com/collections/acc ... 0-6-0-8-mm

Plated Wear Resistant Nozzle for RaiseD N-series Printer

Raise3D have cooperated with Micro-Swiss to provide plated wear resistant nozzle for Raise3D N-series printer.

Orifice size available: 0.6/0.8mm

Fits:Raise3D N1, N2 and N2 Plus Printers

This nozzle is made from a 360 brass base material and plated with TwinClad XT coating. TwinClad XT is a nickel composite coating designed for very low friction. It offers one of the lowest coefficient of friction, better then nickel with PTFE co-deposit. This coating is also very hard and abrasion resistant. If you are working with abrasive Carbon Fiber, Stainless Steel, wood filled or any other metal filled filaments, this will greatly improve the life of your nozzle.

Now, in addition to the official factory approved and sold nozzle. there is a thread of testing using a special saphire nozzle made for extreme filaments. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1227&start=20

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:18 pm

I use this Filament (CF20) with my n2 and the micro Swiss nozzle jetguy mentions above.
It is excellent filament.
However you will need to mount the spool above your machine as the filament is quite brittle.

Thierry

Postby Thierry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 am

Thank you Jetguy and cullymoto for the info!

Thierry

Postby Thierry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:25 am

Have you ever tried to mix and print with the carbon fiber filament (CF20) and the nGen Flex in the same part?

Would that work?

cullymoto

Postby cullymoto » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Right from Colorfab
"nGen_FLEX was developed with Eastman chemical company. Based on their work with co-polyesters nGen_FLEX makes a very compatible materials with other Amphora grade materials. This means you can expect to mix both materials with good adhesion properties to truly form a dual extruded model."
Ngen and CF20 are both PETG based (they call their mix amphora) so I see no reason they wouldn't get along in a dual extrude model. I have not tried personally, but that is a great thing to try in the future.
Simultaneously rigid and flexible in one part.

Thierry

Postby Thierry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Yes that's very interesting,
we can design some very creative and functional part with those 2.

Return to “General”