Clicking sound on Z axis

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
RiserDog

Clicking sound on Z axis

Postby RiserDog » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Not a deal breaker or anything but everytime my Z axis moves down I hear a noticeable loud clicking sound. I do have Z hopping turned on via Simplify 3d. It did not happen when I first turned on Z hopping.

walshlg

Re: Clicking sound on Z axis

Postby walshlg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:16 pm

hmm not right, does it also happen when you manually raise and lower the bed?

BTW most of my loud clicks are caused by the filament guide tube catching and flipping free, can be a big surprise

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:30 pm

One of several things is possible. Z axis has a flex coupler just like X and Y on N2 from the motor shaft to the leadscrew. You may have fatigued the coupler and it failed.
Alternatively, if a very, very light sound could be mistaking the sound of the balls in the linear ball bearings as they circulate inside the race and return path of the linear ball bearing.

RiserDog

Postby RiserDog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Well it just stopped for some reason. It does not happen when I manually move the Z up and down. I have a custom guide tube of teflon so it is good.

Where is the flex coupler for the Z? Thanks for the replies.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm

In the base of the unit. It attaches the Z motor to the leadscrew. This is true for all 3 models (N1, N2, and N2Plus).
As stated, it's the identical coupler used for XY in the N2, and N2+ (N1, uses short belts for XY transfer from motor to XY motion shaft).
You have to lay the entire printer on it's side, remove the base cover (4 screws on every model).
Also on every model, the motor screws are long screws that go through the base, through a tall 4 post standoff, and into the Z axis motor. They are the 4 screw heads around the base of the leadscrew. On N1, there is only one leadscrew so it's pretty obvious. N2 and N2Plus, the leadscrew nearest the filament bay side is the one with the motor and the far leadscrew (the left when the machine is upright) is belt driven from the first. Whatever you do, don't touch the belt or the pulleys (loosening them on the shaft). It's pretty simple, 4 screws for the cover, 4 holding the motor, and the screws actually holding the coupler to the 2 shafts. It's a standard 5mm to 8mm coupler.

itehlab

Postby itehlab » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 am

Before you start taking everything apart - we had the same issue, but when inspecting the bed movement, we discovered that the clicking sound came from the cable chain making a sound on one specific point, as it is flexing while the bed is moving. Check if the sound is coming from there (you can even see the cable chain jerking when it happens) before you completely reassemble your printer. If the cable chain is the culprit, simply realign the chain and it will disappear forever :)

If you hear it everytime the bed moves and it's not the cable chain, then follow Jetguys instructions to the T.

EDIT: I'm talking about the cable chain going in the Z-axis, located in right rear corner of the printer, NOT the cable chain connecting the extruder.

RiserDog

Postby RiserDog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:37 pm

It sounds like it is in the base. So Jetguy, you are saying just tighten the little screws on both of the couplers.... after getting the bottom cover off and 4 motor screws off. Will the motor loosen at all?

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:36 pm

just tip it over and look at the coupler and twist around once - when these break they really break and you will see a crack- usually in the plastic piece

RiserDog

Postby RiserDog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:30 pm

So I tipped it over and put an allen wrench on the screws in the couplers. They were tight but I could not find a wrench that fit 2 of them. They must be 1.75mm and I don't have that size. Anyone ever seen one?? I looked it up and it is not for sale on amazon.

The z belt was tight so i figure it is the play in the 8 loose screws connecting the bedplate to the 2 large screws. This play causes a clunk, but that is a guess. It prints fine.

gizmo91

Postby gizmo91 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Once in a while I'll get clicking at the building plate connection. Only does it for certain z movements, and usually not for long. Troublesome but hasn't caused a problem yet.

Return to “General”